Absenta Tunel - My Review

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Absenta Tunel - My Review
By Tabreaux on Thursday, November 02, 2000 - 07:56 pm: Edit

I just received a bottle of Absenta Tunel from Betina. As usual, her service was prompt, and the bottle arrived well packaged and in one piece.

Although the bottle I have is identical to the one pictured in the review (clear glass, 700mL), the label is considerably different. I'll post a good pic when I return home at the beginning of the week. Nevertheless, the front of the bottle is clearly marked "Absenta Tunel" against a background of sketched absinthium leaves. There is an inscription on the front label, and testing my Spanish from memory reads something to the equivalent of, "Absenta Tunel has an incomparable aroma and flavor, which results in a drink of grand character; which (one) is able to drink very cold and mixed with water". Amusingly, the bottle is labeled as "140 PROFF".

The back label has English verbiage which says, "The secret of this delicious drink is based on the exact proportions of natural extracts of star anise, coriander, and absinthe or wormwood (Artemisia absinthium)."

It goes on to say, "Serve very cold, in the traditional way with a sugar lump, Absenta Tunel, and add water to taste. (Aniseed spirituous liquor)."

The liqueur is a vibrant green, and naturally, is artificially colored. The scent is one which smells primiarly of absinthium. Tasting this product reveals that it is thin, but drinkable. According to the label, this product is macerated from extracts, not distilled. Of course, it could just be worded that way, as it does seem to be smooth for a macerated product. Of course, this could be deceiving because the herbal/essence content is very light.

This product is thin in content and doesn't louche well, and is probably best taken neat (like Sebor). Adding water just seems to thin it out, and adding sugar would probably obliterate any remaining flavor. I can taste star anise, but it is rather faint and subdued. I do not taste the coriander. I do however, taste absinthium, as it is the primary flavor. For those of you who wanted to know what absinthium tastes like in the liquor, have a whiff and taste of this, and you'll find out.

All in all, I rate this product as somewhat better in flavor than the Czech swill (I am excluding Sebor Marc), but it is simple and very light in content. I think the extent of its usefulness is in educating the consumer to the flavor of absinthium, because other than a hint of star anise, that is what you taste.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation