Harper's Weekly April 1889 article (ref. in "History in a Bottle")

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Harper's Weekly April 1889 article (ref. in "History in a Bottle")
By Marcellin on Friday, November 17, 2000 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Yes, once again, is there anyone who is able to enlighten those of us who desire to know? What article? When article. Where article?

And yes, do indeed stay green pony-boy.

By Oxygenee on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 12:06 am: Edit

Can anyone tell me WHICH April 1889 issue of Harpers Weekly this is - there were four in all - issued (I think) on the 6th, 13th 20th and 27th of the month.
I need to know which of these 4 issues contained the Parisian Cafes article.

By Marcellin on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 05:11 am: Edit

Hey Domingo,

Do you know of where I might be able to read this article in Harper's that you mention? There wouldn't be anything on the web would there?

By Domingo on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 05:02 pm: Edit

I got a copy the above Harpers with the engraving that is shown on page 41 of Conrads "History in a Bottle. It is an amazing 6 page article called "Characters in Parisian Cafes". It describes about 25 cafes and there histories, the type of people that frequent each cafe and the drinking habits of the French. Right off the bat the author discredits the statistics that claim the French were drinking themselves to death. He believes the drinking was secondary. He states that most people would sit for hours with just one brandy. The article is great and mentions absinthe in every other paragraph. It puts the green hours at 5pm to 7pm. If ever you get a chance read this article.

Stay green pony-boy.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation