Madame Delahaye

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Madame Delahaye
By Petermarc on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 03:33 pm: Edit

phil,
merci, merci!
the rondes are the same ones that keep coming up over and over again for me...i saw all three last night at an antique show being sold by someone,again, who should know better...i believe he wanted around 3000ff each($400) plus my phone call about these spoons this week from another dealer...i could have had them out in a street flea market for 700ff($93each)...too heavy,cast silver? applied tarnish, no reference...you're saying they never existed? i guess that is a good way to avoid comparing them with an original...
the les feuilles (first picture) fake is too heavy, also cast, applied tarnish, and has a JB
monogram on the handle, the texture of the metal
is quite different from the original...the fake
eiffel tower is also too heavy, the original is quite flimsy...it is amazing, but the truth with these spoons is that the fakes usually appear to be better made than the original(being cast from a mold of the original)...many original spoons are
stamped of light metal and poorly plated...thank you for sharing your experience...

By Frenchman on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 10:57 am: Edit

You can see spoons that are fake according MY opinion to :
http://www.frenchmanltd.com/fakes.jpg

(the loading is slow because the piscture is big)

Phil

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 03:11 am: Edit

I would be all for naming and shaming, but I guess you could lay yourself open to litigation if you got it wrong.

By Oxygenee on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 12:56 am: Edit

In terms of fakes sold online, it seems to me that its the same handful of vendors who repeatedly offer this material both on auction or via some of the French collectors websites, and who ignore any politely worded email pointing out to them that the item they are selling:

is faked: eg almost all Tour Eiffel spoons offered online.

is a sugar/bon-bon/olive/mote spoon not an absinthe spoon: they usually say something like "these were used in 5 star restaurants and the waiter would hold them above the glass" - yeah right...

is a reproduction: eg those hideous blue 'Belle Epoque' Royer Hutin matchstrikers that just scream "made for the USA restaurant trade in the 1960's"

is a pastis period item: eg the gold rimmed glasses that were obviously a huge hit in Luxembourg in the 1950's...

has been refilled: almost all absinthe mignonnettes - just because the seal looks intact, doesn't mean that the sellers trusty hypodermic hasn't topped up the contents. I wonder how many dissapointed collectors have found that old absinthe tastes like...tea.

None of this is a problem for us oldtime weatherbeaten collectors, our hand gnarled and calloused from handling so many fake Les Rondes, but it can't be good for newbies - what about naming and shaming the culprits here on the forum?

By Frenchman on Wednesday, November 08, 2000 - 12:03 am: Edit

It will be interesting to do a hunting to find who are making these fakes....

I think that the target is to find fakes cheaper and in the biggest quantity....
More we will find fakes cheap, more we will be near the maker, isn't it ?

To help you, i will send you pictures of fakes i know (this week end).

Good hunting.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, November 07, 2000 - 09:07 am: Edit

i have seen at least 6 fake tour eiffels, 10
les feuilles with JB monogram and 2 styles of rondes(4 presented to me together)...
all too heavy, like cast silver, with oxidation
applied to the rondels and les feullies
... when someone pulls out really rare spoons 2,4, and six at a time, you gotta wonder...it is possible to find caches of originals, but i used to make jewelry, so i usually know when something is not quite kosher...i am looking for this guy again, since he was selling out of his car at a street flea-market and had made it to pontarlier, too...he had glasses which he was keeping for his collection, and it smacked dearly
of phil's warning on his site...thank you, phil,
for saving my wallet's butt...i hope that all of us will be able to help keep people from getting ripped off with fakes, it is the thing i hate the most...unless you want a fake...the spoons were really well-made, heavy and looked good, and were much less than an original ($360 for a tour eiffel that would go for around $600) les feuilles and rondes for around $95 each...not me,
if i can help it...there is a great new pattern by the museum in pontarlier, but it is not being represented as an antique at all...

By Frenchman on Tuesday, November 07, 2000 - 08:33 am: Edit

Yes, Oxygenee are right.
Madame MC Delahaye is writing a new book.

But i am not sure she will warning about fakes : there are more and more fakes sold for antique spoons in France.
Be careful with Tour Eiffel #1, Tour Eiffel #2, 3 new LES RONDES no referenced, CUILLERE LONGUE #1 and FEUILLE #10 !!

Phil

By Oxygenee on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Madame Delahaye's book with a catalog of absinthe spoons is: L'Absinthe Histoire de la Fee Verte, published in Paris by Berger-Levrault. Ideally you want the second 1987 edition, which expanded slightly on the spoons listing (although its still by no means complete - there are many spoons, especially in certain categories like "Les Rondes", that she did not see in time to list).

The book is very hard to find, and although just a humble paperback fetches upwards of $200 when it does come up for sale. Two alternatives:
Wait until early next year when Delahayes new book just on spoons is published. Rumour has it that she will list almost 300 different spoons!
Alternatively, log on to the FrenchmanLtd.com website, where most of Delahayes classification is reproduced, with photos of all the better known and most of the rarer spoons. It might be an idea to permanently save these webpages, as Phil may be taking his FrenchmanLtd operation off-line in future.

By Grimbergen on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 07:25 pm: Edit

What is the name of Madame Delahaye's book with the catalog absinthe spoons?

Thanks,
Grim

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation