Barcelona etc.

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Barcelona etc.
By Petermarc on Tuesday, November 07, 2000 - 10:26 am: Edit

fortunately, i wasn't with my wife when i visited,
but i didn't find this area all that bad...kind of
maze-like, though...tough, if you had been drinking alot...

By Absinthedrinker on Tuesday, November 07, 2000 - 02:54 am: Edit

Many thanks for that Don. I suspected that the red light area might be a fruitful one for absinthe bars, but as I was with my wife it would have been frowned upon whether I went there by myself or with her...

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, November 07, 2000 - 12:36 am: Edit

Someone (I think it was Absinthedrinker) recently posted that, while in Barcelona recently, he couldn't find a single bar serving 'absenta' (absinthe).

I suggest next time he try the infamous Bar Marsella, in the Barri Xines redlight district. Ask for Scotty, the burly American expat from L.A. who owns the place. (Not as burly as me, though.)

It's far from the only place serving absenta in the Barri Xines, much less all of Barcelona. But it is listed in the well known 'Lonely Planet' Guide to Spain (current edition) as a Barcelona landmark, and having an absinthe there is specifically mentioned as one of the high points of any visit to the city.

The place was also written up by Jason Wilson in the Feb.2000 issue of Hemisphere, an in-flight magazine for one of the major airlines. It was that issue's 'Grain & Grape' feature, despite the fact that neither are involved...well, I suppose one could argue that grain is involved in grain alcohol.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation