Archive through October 8, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Oct 2000:...poor Jane:Archive through October 8, 2000
By Pataphysician on Sunday, October 08, 2000 - 08:43 am: Edit

As long as you are sharing this lo-res copy for informational purposes and not selling it to us it falls under Fair Use.

By Fellraven on Sunday, October 08, 2000 - 05:17 am: Edit

Which side you end up on re the IP debate may depend on whether you've had your work systematically ripped off as I have, passed off by another as their own work, had them link your work on their site (in my case book reviews) to Amazon in order to make money out of it, and then been told to fuck off when you object.

By Bob_chong on Saturday, October 07, 2000 - 11:57 pm: Edit

Yeah, that Intellectual Property thing sucks.

Sincerly,
Shawn Fanning

(BC)

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, October 07, 2000 - 10:33 pm: Edit

It's a damn shame... society has degraded to the point where people would rather threaten to sue than say hello. When I was looking up Boccioni images for my Boccioni site, I ran into more than a few empty spaces with excuses regarding the wishes of some estate or custodian. I can't help but picture some boozy woman in extravagant clothes, pointing a wavering martini like a weapon, and making bleary speeches about family honor, or some similar load of rubbish...

K.

By Admin on Saturday, October 07, 2000 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Not that I think they'd care about a random post on a message board. But I do occasionally get contacted by author's as my sight draws on so many different materials. Since I am careful to give credit where it is due and contacted author's when I could, once I assure them I'm not making money off of it, and that I use the material in the spirit of WORSHIP they tend to be pretty friendly and forthcoming. All my amazon links started out as simple bibliographies for each section of Chapel Perilous. One author was irate because the book in the bibliography was a pirated Hong Kong version ... how was *I* to know, I got it at a large commercial bookstore here in SF.

By Morriganlefey on Saturday, October 07, 2000 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Anatomist - unfortunately, it seems the estate & trustees of the late Mr. Gorey DO crack down on people "borrowing" his lovely works for web postings. I once did a Gorey search for websites, and encountered WELL more than one that had been "asked politely" by his people to remove the infringing works from their sites.

Too bad..we're just trying to spread the whimsy!

- Morrigan

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, October 07, 2000 - 11:58 am: Edit

It's from a series called The Listing Attic, which is contained in a larger book called Amphigorey, from Putnam Publishers. I was just excited about getting my new scanner working. I hadn't thought about copyright violations. Do people actually get on one's ass about such things even when they are not for profit?

In fact, when I tell people it's available for $15 in softcover, I'll probably be responsible for a few sales...

K.

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, October 07, 2000 - 09:15 am: Edit

Gotta love E. Gorey. A while back I picked up an original printed and signed poster from his 70's version of Dracula with Frank Langella...

Has anyone read his new book, although posthumous..it makes as liitle sense as some of them others...

By Artemis on Saturday, October 07, 2000 - 06:42 am: Edit

Is it copyrighted? Might want to think twice about posting that sort of thing here, especially without running it by Kallisti first.

By Midas on Saturday, October 07, 2000 - 05:19 am: Edit

Yeah, I'd love to know too. I've never seen it before. That man proved once and for all that the cute and the macabre play together.
-Robert.

By Morriganlefey on Saturday, October 07, 2000 - 03:45 am: Edit

Bravo!! Excellent - which Gorey is that from!?!

See my profile...!
- Morrigan

By Anatomist1 on Friday, October 06, 2000 - 08:27 pm: Edit

EGorey

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation