Absente Dietary Supplement

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Absente Dietary Supplement
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through November 9, 2000  10   11/09 03:50pm

By Grimbergen on Wednesday, November 15, 2000 - 08:37 am: Edit

If anyone is interested in the fountain, here is the email I got from La Muse Verte.

Grim

If you need items (fountain, glasses, spoons) you can call my importer :

CVI BRANDS
1025 Tanklage Rd, Suite F
San Carlos, California 94070
Tel. 800 595 1768
Fax. 650 595 8147

otherwise

PRICES from France :

1st -Prices :
- 1 fountain : 22,87 $
- Postage and insurance : 43,75 $

TOTAL : 66,62 $

2nd -Prices :
- 1 Coffet Fountain wich contains : (without bottle) 39,51 $
- 1 Fountain.
- 2 Glasses.
- 2 Spoons.
- Postage and insurance : 73,94 $

TOTAL : 113,45 $

By Bob_chong on Tuesday, November 14, 2000 - 11:24 am: Edit

I've heard good and bad about the set, but I think you should be able to find the damn thing plus a bottle of the liquor for about $100 total. Or so I have heard here.

BC

By Grimbergen on Tuesday, November 14, 2000 - 11:10 am: Edit

Bob,

Yeah, I saw that. It piqued my interest. Luckily I saw a picture of the promotional fountain on La Muse Verte's web page just a couple hours later. Jesus. I ain't gonna buy nothin' without one of yall verifying it.

Grim

By Bob_chong on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Speaking of glasses and such, there's a La Muse Verte fountain and glasses/spoons set currently going for nearly $200 on eBay.

Nice racket.

BC

By Petermarc on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 02:39 pm: Edit

the other glass address is
www.larochere.com
it is in the middle of nowhere between dijon
colmar south of nancy north of pontarlier...i haven't looked at the site, but will tonight...

By Perruche_verte on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 11:59 am: Edit

Thanks friends,

I checked the Paris directory online. Here's the listing, if anyone else cares to inquire:

Ducerf J Montmartre Verreries (SA)
01 48 78 64 63
01 48 78 71 35 (FAX)
23 Rue Fontaine
75009 PARIS

Maybe if enough absintheurs pester them about their wares, they'll throw up a website and take Internet orders (or find a retailer who will).

That "perroquet" drink sounds delicious. I'm not sure absinthe and cassis would mix well, though.

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 03:07 am: Edit

Perruche

The guys at the Dome faxed me the price list from Ducerf but it didn't come out too well, so I contacted Ducerf directly several times by fax but didn't get any reply. I can't remember the name of the glass now. Ducerf's number can be found in the Paris online phone book.

By Artemis on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 01:02 am: Edit

I should clarify - by "noise", I meant the advertising for absente, not the remarks here.

Marc wrote: "Absente's whole marketing campaign is based on deluding the public into thinking it is absinthe."

Well, take away "absente" and "absinthe" and replace them with blanks to be filled in, and you've described advertising in general. I hold it in the utmost contempt. I've trained myself to not even see it. The poster I saw for Absente in "Cigar Afficionado" was indeed painful to behold. And the glasses are a little small in the mouth for the spoons. I also use "La Muse Verte"'s promotional glasses, which are more like ice cream sundae glasses. If I had to make do with a paper cup, I would do that too. No glass at all and I would be hurting. What to do? A swig from the bottle, and follow it with a sugar cube and a 500% spring water chaser? Hey a new ritual! Almost as cool as that sickening tequila thing.

By Petermarc on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 12:29 am: Edit

perruche vert,
i am now selling reproduction swirl glasses for $100...oops, that's what the real ones go for, i better re-think this...
i have another address for you, a glass maker in
eastern france...i am at work now, and will e-mail
you the address later...
facinating facts...
did you know absinthe with creme de menthe was called a "perroquet"?
and with cassis(red berry liquor), it was called a "tomate"?...yuk

By Gman on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 04:44 pm: Edit

The "ultra hip" I refer to are the Greenwich Village crowd Marc mentions in a prior note. Guess I should have been more clear on that. But all on this forum, including myself, should be upgraded to at least "hyperhip."

By Petermarc on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 03:48 am: Edit

the promotional poster for absente is painful...
i am embarrassed everytime i see it, and imagine it has done much more harm than good...personally,
i believe that this is the main reason much of it is unsold...other than it sucks, according to everyone (i have no desire to try it)the glasses are really pastis style, though a little fatter (still used today but more narrow) and the mouth is too narrow for the spoon...they are now making a repro swirl glass which sells in france (pontarlier region) for between $12-20...at least it looks like a glass that was used for absinthe...

By Marc on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 02:18 am: Edit

Absente's whole marketing campaign is based on deluding the public into thinking it is absinthe.
Crillon is not interested in making a worldclass beverage. They are trying to exploit a fashion trend. Little did they know that absinthe drinkers are a shrewd and intelligent lot and will not be fooled by a bogus product. And the rest of the public could give a shit. The result: thousands of bottles of unsold Absente gathering dust on liquor store shelves. Crillon did a big promotional push for Absente and the marketplace did not respond. It's a bomb. A close friend of mine owns a high volume liquor store here in Greenwich Village. The Village is an ultra-hip neighborhood. An ideal place to launch an absinthe-like product. He's had a bottle of Absente sitting on his shelf for months. No one is interested. But, he has tons of customers who are looking for authentic absinthe. He gives them my business card. I direct them to this website.

By Artemis on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 02:02 am: Edit

I have a different take on it. I use Absente glasses and spoons almost exclusively because they're cheap and easily replaced. I recently ordered a set for an overseas friend. My antique stuff stays in a display case out of harm's way. I haven't seen Absente, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I did, and if I liked it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. That would be based upon somebody putting something I like to drink into a bottle and selling it to me at a price I was willing to pay. The rest is just so much noise. Anybody fooled by noise is, well, ....

By Don_walsh on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 01:03 am: Edit

OK, fair enough. Buy Crillon's spoons and glasses, since you are well aware that you oughtn't to buy 'Absente'. Rather than subsidizing the lie, you are just taking their loss-leader bait and not the 'hook' to their ersatz liquor.

By Marc on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 12:50 am: Edit

Mike at THE ABSINTHE PORTAL is selling absinthe spoons cheap.

By Marc on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 12:47 am: Edit

Cheap absinthe spoon reproductions are readily available.
I recently purchased some repros for about $10 each.

By Perruche_verte on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 12:23 am: Edit

Oh, pshaw. Not everyone who enjoys the absinthe ritual really wants to plunk down $60 or more for a genuine Belle Epoque absinthe spoon. I don't see any harm in buying their spoon/glass sets, though I don't intend on buying Absente.

If someone other than Crillon wants to begin manufacturing spoons and glasses, I imagine they'd find a nice market.

By Marc on Wednesday, November 08, 2000 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Crillon is a scam. Their Absenta marketing campaign is based on deception. By buying their spoons you are subsidizing a lie. It's bad karma.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, November 08, 2000 - 10:43 pm: Edit

Pls don't patronize Crillon.

By Gman on Wednesday, November 08, 2000 - 06:55 pm: Edit

I just received two Absente glasses and repro spoons frm Crillon. They're actually quite cool for the price ($8.00 for the lot!), but just as interesting is the paraphernalia that came along with them. Among other things there's a flier for their Absente brand "Wormwood Herbal Dietary Supplement." Also some wondrful postcards, one of which depicts a comical rendition of a well dressed gentelman labled Arthur Rimbaud!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation