Pernod and other Absinthe Postcards

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Pernod and other Absinthe Postcards
By Petermarc on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 01:05 pm: Edit

yikes artemis, you're just mean...i've always known i wasn't talented, but you have to go and tell everyone, just when i thought i was fitting in...at least most of my posts have something to do with the subject of absinthe...sniff, sniff,
tissue please...;-)

By Artemis on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 06:22 am: Edit

"if it is funny or not, should be left for the reader"

It was.

"it is amazing how many obvious jokes are taken seriously here"

Probably because they aren't funny, i.e., not jokes.

"does marc have some sort of guide that we should follow for clever or funny remarks?"

I said Marc was funny, not clever. You and Justin are already clever, you don't need a guide for that. If you want to learn how to be funny (there's a difference, but didn't I already say that?), read Marc's posts for some clues on how to proceed (but didn't I already say that?).

"i'm thinking...hard...marc...help the less fortunate..."

More to the point, less talented.

"and by-the-way, i think lasala smells and tastes alot more like absinthe than anis"

When you find an absinthe without anise, let us know. Let us know what absinthe tastes like as well, for ease of comparison.

As for you Justin: "This forum just keeps getting worse and worse" - I couldn't agree more.

By Malhomme on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Yeah, wrestle-mania!

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 05:05 pm: Edit

I agree Peter..some people here are so uptight...this forum just keeps getting worse and worse.

By Petermarc on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 03:00 pm: Edit

what the hell was this thread about? postcards,
i believe...i think when a thread goes from postcards to "badaine" without at least a set-up, we can make a joke about
anything, and if it is funny or not, should be left for the reader( it is amazing how many obvious jokes are taken seriously here)...does marc have some sort of guide that we should follow for clever or funny remarks? i'm thinking...hard...marc...help the less fortunate...
and by-the-way, i think lasala smells and tastes alot more like absinthe than anis,(in my limited experience with absinthe made where it was made famous and holding the plant to my nose) which is not readily acknowledged on the forum...i like it...

By Artemis on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 06:49 am: Edit

i'll go for the joke thing regarding justin's
comment...

Not funny and not true. Not true in a linguistic sense and not true in a gustatory sense, at least not in the form of a blanket that could be thrown over all Spanish absinthe. Those of you wanting to be funny ought to study Marc's posts and think hard about the difference between clever and funny.

By Petermarc on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 02:31 pm: Edit

i think this is a question for marie-claude, herself...also take into account that there is
also a series that is for pontarlier, not just
pernod, like for other cities in france...check and see if is titled "maison PERNOD fils" or "pontarlier" as i said before, the french are and have been, crazy about postcards for a long time...regardless, the set is very rare, no one has been able to produce more than a few of the set at a time...i will start a list of the numbered ones i see (that i don't buy!)it is very difficult to trace the origins or original runs of these cards, when i bought the "le péril vert"
from a dealer with a shop, he did not know it was part of a set...i will also see if i can find a postcard guide book for these, as i know they exist....

By Oxygenee on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 10:18 am: Edit

My apologies for bringing this thread back to, of all things, Pernod postcards...

Browsing through Delahaye's Histoire de la Fee Verte, I notice that the numbered Maison Pernod Fils postcard set, extends not from 1 to 10 as I had carelessly thought, but at least to # 26 (illustrated on page 41).

Only a few of the higher numbers are illustrated -did the series end at 26, or did it extend even further, and does anyone have a complete run? Was the whole series released at once, or was the series developed over a number of years?

By Wiz on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 07:06 am: Edit

I walked into a shop the other day and there was a couple of necklaces there made out of star anise.

By Petermarc on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 03:30 am: Edit

i'll go for the joke thing regarding justin's
comment...

By Don_walsh on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 03:12 am: Edit

The taxonomical name for 'star anise' is Illicum verum. Why it's called star anise ought to be obvious to anyone who has ever seen one or smelled one.

I dunno where Justin got the info that this is Spanish for absinthe. If he meant that Spanish absinthes (absentas) as HEAVY on the star anise, is true. Often to the apparent exclusion of just about anything else (MM).

The curious thing is that the Spanish use this Chinese herb, or its oils, rather than anise seed, when the very best anise seed comes from -- Spain.

The Thais use star anise in cooking, as I have recounted here previously. It is readily available here.

By Artemis on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 12:52 am: Edit

JKK is correct. That it's Spanish for absinthe is news to me. How it came up in this thread is even more of a puzzle.

By Jkk on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 02:26 pm: Edit

It's badiane, not badaine.

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 10:34 am: Edit

french for star anise, spanish for absinthe....

By Malhomme on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 10:13 am: Edit

What is "badaine"?
If a plant, what is it's scientific name?
malhomme

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 08:02 am: Edit

I have been offered everything from fake rondes to reproduction absinthe postcards. From what I have heard from the French side of things absinthe antiques are full of fakes, and worse yet the price of quality antique items has gone through the roof in the past few years. The worst part of E-bay is the lack of regulation, that is why I don't list many items any more. People can buy an "absinthe set" for 60 bucks and be happy with pastis items. Oh well.

Those cards sounds very nice. I wish we could all get together and catalog as many items as we could with photographs and the works...would make a nice book.

- J

By Petermarc on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 05:39 am: Edit

i just found today a "le péril vert" postcard
and a postcard with a comical death announcement and epitath for "blanche laverte." i wish i could have paid only $50 for them...there were some of the pernod series cards which were well over $50 a piece...the rare and colored cards are
very expensive, but cool as hell...

By Petermarc on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 03:32 am: Edit

absinthe postcards are highly collectible in france, one rarely sees a dealer with more than a couple, most have none...in fact, the french collect postcards of all types very seriously here...the pernod factory series is available (but rare) as individual cards, but i have never seen a whole set together...that said, each card could sell for
anywhere from $50 or more(usually much more, try to find something like this outside of france) depending on condition, so a complete set could be worth $500 or more...that said, a fair price is what you are willing to spend for something you like that is almost impossible to find (like absinthe)anything is collectible, and paper items are especially interesting because they are easily destroyed,can be very well designed, but more so, you get a real view of the era, and can see items as they were used...i would love to assemble a guide, as one does not exist...unfortunately, it is hard and expensive to put together the items....
on another note, i was just contacted by an antique dealer who i trust who offered me what i belieive to be the fake rondes that i had seen before, he has a copy of delahaye and one was not listed...i do not believe he thought they were fakes when he offered them, but...the case is widening...

By Oxygenee on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 12:29 am: Edit

Have just been offered a near-mint set of 10 postcards showing absinthe production in the Pernod factory at Pontarlier in 1903. The images are the same as illustrated in the Conrad and Delahaye books. How rare are these cards? Any thoughts as to what a fair price would be ?

On a broader level, just how collectible are absinthe advertising cards? Has any attempt been made to catalogue the main varieties?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation