Archive through November 8, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:After Hours:Archive through November 8, 2000
By Jkk on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 09:17 am: Edit

Bone man,
"Chacun a son gout" means "Each one to his
taste." In other words, it may not be my cup of
tea, but if you like it--fine.
What is it that we are supposed to be arguing
about? I think you are just looking for a fight.
Isn't that Bob Chong's department?

Marc,
Yes, I know all the movies are old, but what
can I do? If you asked me for my list of the
greatest novels of all time, there wouldn't be
anything on it written after the 1920s. I wish it
weren't so, but I can't honestly put something
like "Pulp Fiction"--as much as I enjoyed it--on a
short list of the very best films ever made. I
was considering making another list: the best
films, in my opinion, made since 1966. Then I saw
that the most recent of those was made in 1980.
So I'm back where I started--with a list old
movies

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 09:13 am: Edit

See, I knew people would try to feed me that sort of crap. I'm not talking about social responsibility, or putting out a 'positive' message. I didn't think the movie was the slightest bit funny. I thought it was the perversion/depravity equivalent of an Arnold Schwarzenneger movie, where thousands of bullet-riddled bodies are dropping like flies, necks are being loudly snapped, arms are being torn from their sockets, and an occasional cheap one-liner is thrown in for extra kicks, yet nothing interesting about war, death, fighting, or humor is being conveyed whatsoever.

I didn't see the storyteller identifying with these characters. I saw him coldly flaying them open and watching them writhe... like a child pulling the legs off of a spider. I find the film offensive not in its social irresponsiblity, but in the fact that it was an uninspired, uninsightful collection of perversions and emotional horrors, in the way 'Faces of Death' was an unredeemed collection of killing scenes. (Let me guess, somebody'll come on next and tell me that those movies were great.)

Incidentally, I saw the final seen as a cheap gross-out "joke" with the cum-licking dog, and a pretty good indication that the boy would soon be following in his father's footsteps... like say, buttfucking his dog while asphyxiating it with a plastic bag (don't tell me... that was a hilarious scene that will be included in the 'director's cut').

I think the interesting thing about this kind of entertainment as a cultural phenomenon is that people are becoming desensitized to more and more extreme spectacles of cruelty and violence in their vicarious and voyeuristic lives (TV, Movies, etc..), whilst simultaneously becoming meeker and more bland in their actual lives. Coincidence? I scare the hell out of people all the time just by showing them some of my work, or having what is for me, an ordinary conversation... these are the same people who think a "comedy" wherein a guy gets his ear cut off by a jolly, dancing sadist is big fun...

K.

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 08:54 am: Edit

OK Here in no particular order are my favorite films. As soon as I post I'll probably remember a dozen more

Withnail & I (hilarious, I've probably watched this more than any other film)
Performance (moody and magnificent)
Wild at Heart (I'm a Lynch fan and Cage is superb)
Blue Velvet (see above)
2001 (early cinema memories)
Leon (Gary Oldman at his psychotic hammy best)
Don't look Now (classic)
The Wicker Man (on as a double feature with Don't Look Now - lucky me!)
Betty Blue (indulgent cinematography and lust)

By Pataphysician on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 07:55 am: Edit

My list of some classics, favorites, guilty pleasures (with duplicates of other lists removed).

King of Marvin Gardens
Mishima
Paths of Glory
Shoah
Don't Look Back (Bob Dylan)
Dead Man
The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle
The Killer (John Woo)
Blue Angel
The State of Things (Wim Wenders)
The Harder They Come
The Fearless Hyena (Jackie Chan)
Ed Wood
In Cold Blood

By Pataphysician on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 07:39 am: Edit

WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE (Solondz) was also hilarious and deeply, deeply disturbing at the same time. Brilliant movie, but it makes you want to withdraw from all human contact.

By Black_rabbit on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 06:31 am: Edit

doesn't social responisbility in art sort of hamstring it? I can think of quite a lot of things that were viewed as incredibly irresponsible at the time, but that are now such a part of our culture we call them 'classic.' Which is not to say all art must be that way, but without that pushing at the boundaries, things would get static and boring, and screw that!

By Marc on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 12:54 am: Edit

art is self-indulgence. Socially responsible artists are boring. anatomist, I am surprised by your sudden bout of political correctness. You sound like a wimp, despite your threat to beat up a 100 lb. weakling.

By Marc on Wednesday, November 08, 2000 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Todd Solondz is my neighbor. He's about 5 1/2
feet tall, weighs maybe a 120 pounds and looks like a young and anemic Woody Allen. anatomist, if you punched him in the nose it would probably kill him. HAPPINESS
is a black comedy. Cruelty is an important element in black comedies. It's what makes them funny. And as cruel as Solondz can be, he can also be compassionate. I think he understands and relates to the neurotic losers in his film. I think he identifies with them because he is one of them. HAPPINESS ends on a very positive note:
a young boy has his first orgasm. Despite the fucked up adults and twisted sexuality around him,
the boy cums robustly. This is the films way of letting you know he's going to be ok. He will achieve HAPPINESS.

By Anatomist1 on Wednesday, November 08, 2000 - 08:46 pm: Edit

I'm on board with Rumble Fish and Harold and Maude, but I can't find any redeeming value in "Happiness" for the life of me. I can say, unequivocally, that it is the worst cultural product to which my consciousness has ever been exposed. I did not find that assortment of depraved, cruel, and fucked up characters to be enlightening or worthwhile in any respect. Sure, I know about, or could imagine such figures, but I choose not to... and with good reason. I think that an artist has a responsibility not to spread unredeemed pain, not to use their position of attention to the ends of pure self-indulgence and the infliction of harm on their audience. If you introduced me to mister Solenz, his nose would be broken before you completed pronouncing the last syllable of his name...

Yeah, but what do I REALLY think?

K.

By Marc on Wednesday, November 08, 2000 - 08:02 pm: Edit

Billy,

WALKABOUT is a great film. It's available on DVD
with a commentary by Roeg and Jenny Agutter. Fascinating. I included Roeg's DON'T LOOK NOW
on my list. I also really admire PERFORMANCE.
HAPPINESS and MAGNOLIA are two recent favorites of mine. I should have included DR. STRANGELOVE on my list. I saw it when it was released. I was 13. It helped shape my view on the absurdity and horror of war. It warped my mind in a good way.
I've always been a fan of RUMBLEFISH. It was ahead
of it's time in it's blending of music, cinematic surrealism and the poetry of lost youth.
RUSHMORE reminds me of one of my alltime favorites, Hal Ashby's bittersweet fairy tale HAROLD AND MAUDE.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation