Packaging run amok

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Packaging run amok
By Midas on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 11:24 pm: Edit

This marketing idea would be up there with the 'Mama Cass Sandwich Company' and 'Hiroshima Barbeques'.
-Robert.

By Grimbergen on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 04:40 pm: Edit

I've seen luctor's gin before, but this is the first time I've heard of the vodka. The Van Goh gin makes slightly more sense...both being dutch...

Actually, I am pretty sure the distillery is in Amsterdam. I guess that is the connection for you. Call it Van Goh because us simple folk don't know nothin else about the netherlands. (is that in texas?)

Grim

By Melinelly on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 04:32 pm: Edit

heh. we sell this stuff in my store. we carry the vodka and the gin. both are excellent products, but not my style. they are triple or quadruple distilled so they're very very smooth, but the gin isn't very flavorful. some have called it a "gin for vodka drinkers." i myself am a gin drinker, and i prefer the more botanical brands like quintessential, junipero (anchor distilling in S.F.), and sometimes tanqueray ten or bombay sapphire.

just today i completed a special order for a customer of the "starry night" orange liquer they offer. VERY limited. only ten cases in all of california. only $32.99 tho so it probably won't be very limited for long if those ten cases fly out the door. the vodka and gin go for mid-20s.

like i said, they're very good products behind a nice package. they've gotten great reviews and sell like hotcakes. i wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a pastis or faux absinthe to follow the trend. easy enough to find a van gogh painting to match the color of the liquer (which would be artificially colored anyway) like they did with starry night.

cheers,

emmy

By Marc on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 04:20 pm: Edit

This is the very definition of "kitsch".

By Chrysippvs on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 03:37 pm: Edit

I wonder if the Czechs have something to do with this...they are a wily bunch

By Black_rabbit on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 03:29 pm: Edit

You can hear Vincent spinning in his grave if you listen closely enough.

Van Goh *absinthe* would make sense, but I have never heard of his being a big vodka drinker. But vodka marketing seems to be based on how cool the bottle is...

By Petermarc on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 03:19 pm: Edit

this is a painful disgrace...but i'm having an
"earthquake" (lautrec's absinthe and cognac)
so the stars that fly off the cursor are pretty freaky...but, hey, this is a fucking disgrace...
oooohhh...freaky...

By Gman on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 01:24 pm: Edit

www.luctor.com
This frm a guy who drank turpentine!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation