Green Christmas

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Green Christmas
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through November 20, 2000  4   11/20 08:22am

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, November 25, 2000 - 03:05 am: Edit

Black Rabbit,

You may be able to find a bargain around the Gare du Nord station but I think they charge extra for spontaneous combustion ;-)

Hobgoblin

By Black_rabbit on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 01:14 pm: Edit

As a followup to that last, it seems I might not be able to do so affordably.

The price of 37 year old parisian women has shot up drastically lately, and it seems it's now illegal to set them on fire, too. The fellow at the liquor store seemed offended that I'd even asked.

Damn prohibitionists!

By Black_rabbit on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 01:11 pm: Edit

When I next have some absinthe on hand, I am going to work out a recipie for a flaming cocktail and call it a 'spontaneous parisian.'

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 06:54 am: Edit

So now we know, drinking absinthe can cause you to spontaneously combust, no wonder it was banned.

Strangely enough there was a case of a Poteen maker who spontaneously combusted in County Tyrone in N.Ireland, (I think it was in Cookstown). Apparently he popped into the local grocery shop to buy a pint of milk and suddenly combusted for no apparent reason. Reasons speculated for this include the fact that as well as distilling Poteen he distilled Ether, (or was it Acetone) which he liked to drink. People reckoned it was his drinking of the Ether (or Acetone) that did it. Anyway this story is treated as gospel by many Poteen-makers in N Ireland.

Hobgoblin

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 06:47 am: Edit

So now we know, drinking absinthe can cause you to spontaneously combust, no wonder it was banned.

Strangely enough there was a case of a Poteen maker who spontaneously combusted in County Tyrone in N.Ireland, (I think it was in Cookstown). Apparently he popped into the local grocery shop to buy a pint of milk and suddenly combusted for no apparent reason. Reasons speculated for this include the fact that as well as distilling Poteen he distilled Ether, (or was it Acetone) which he liked to drink. People reckoned it was his drinking of the Ether (or Acetone) that said it. Anyway this story has gone is treated as gospel by many Poteen-makers in N Ireland.

Hobgoblin

By Anathema on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 06:04 am: Edit

THE COMBUSTION OF A PARISIAN ABSINTHE-DRINKER

"A case of spontaneous human combustion, it is said, occurred in Paris on the 1st of August, 1869, details of which were recently communicated to the Medico-chirurgial Society by Dr. Bertholle. The victim was a woman, aged thirty-seven, who had been much addicted to drinking brandy and absinthe. No flame issued from her body, which was completely charred, and no trace of fire was visible in the house, although she partly lay in bed, in contact with the bed-hangings, coverlets, and other articles, easily ignited."

'Scientific Notes' - Appletons' Journal: A Magazine of General Literature. vol. 3, iss. 55. April 16, 1870. p. 444.

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 12:18 pm: Edit

I had thought of Gollum's Gall-Juice but Green Gremlin has the edge.

I will be careful mixing absinthes, I wouldn't want to spontaneously combust.

Hobgoblin

By Thegreenimp on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 10:12 am: Edit

How about in honor of our gracious host, calling the drink a "Sparkling Kallisti"
Regards
Jay

By Don_walsh on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 10:06 am: Edit

Overseas votes DO count, even with a smeared, illegible, or US postmark. At least for the Name That Drink balloting.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 10:04 am: Edit

Lord H, it's the aliteration, it gets us Irishmen going every time. Green Gremlin indeed!

Grumpy Green Gremlin in my instance...

Be careful when mixing Deva, LaSala and Segarra. If you achieve critical mass (which can be geometric, depending on shape of your absinthe glass) the Cherenkov effect becomes noticeable in the louche, and the neutron flux which causes this, will definitely add to your body burden. Re-animator Juice!

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 04:22 am: Edit

Green Gremlin gets my vote.

(Do overseas votes count? (as long as we're not in the military services I suppose))

Hobgoblin

BTW : Talking about absinthe mixtures I've found that a mixture of Deva, and Segarra in equal parts with a dash of Lasalla thrown in makes a nice tasting absinthe.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 08:31 pm: Edit

Kallisti, good on ya! Let's name this beast.

As it is offspring of a Fairy and a Sprite I am thinking something supernatural, maybe Tolkienish:

Green Goblin
Green Orc
Green Gremlin
Gandalf Grog
Hobbit Forming
Balrog Juice
Sauron Stew
Elf's Blood
Dwarf's Bane

#1 and #3 have the advantage of aliteration, but I like #5. Pick one or make up your own list and I'll pick...if necessary we can have them vote on it in Palm Beach and demand a manual recount...

By Admin on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 11:54 am: Edit

and btw Don, *I'm* quoted in print as being a fan of this concoction. Which I think has many people doubting my credentials (had I any to doubt).

Fuck 'em!

By Admin on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 11:52 am: Edit

Sprite & Absinthe! Sprite & Absinthe! But its better with less booze than what you'd use with water or tonic.

Or 7-up or whatever. I love it. Thats what I drink in bars (secreted flask of absinthe to spike my soda).

But it was especially nice in summery New Orleans, on the patio, roasting and sweating. Or going to Greek Fest where they were selling frozen Ouzo for $2 a cup ... yummmmm. I think they just used a standard daiquiri machine. Yummmmmmm.

By Eleusis on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 10:44 am: Edit

IMHO Sprite seems to thick, heavy, and sugary and leads one away from the flavors of Absinthe, 7-UP is way much lighter and does not detract one from the flavor of Absinthe, but seems to enhance the taste. Each to their own accords, Eh.

Eleusis

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 07:28 am: Edit

Dear Justin

I hate to tell you, but our Thai partners (and my own wife) LOVE Absinthe/Sprite. They take to this much better than to absinthe/water with or without sugar. And puryst that I am I must admit the concoction has its merits.

Ted will doubtless rip off my epaulets, tear the buttons from my tunic, break my sword and from march me past the troops to the "Cowards March" for saying so. That's why I waited for someone else to broach the topic!

By Anathema on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 08:19 am: Edit

In his book After the War: A Southern Tour, May 1, 1865 to May 1, 1866, p.181, Whitelaw Reid descreibs an "acclimatizing drink, which is the greatest of all the institutions of Key West. 'Champerou,' it appeared, was the name of this acclimatizer. Its concoction appeared a miracle of the powers of combination. Curacoa was taken as the base; Absinthe, Maraschino and other liqueurs were added, with sugar and eggs thrown in, till an analytical chemist would have been hopelessly puzzled by the compound. But it proved acclimatizing; and I observed that even the natives still thought it wise to take prudent precautions - such as a glass of Champerou - against the effects of the climate."

By Chrysippvs on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 08:48 am: Edit

and egg nog does?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation