Chrysippvs review of Haut-Doubs #9

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Chrysippvs review of Haut-Doubs #9
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through November 16, 2000  1   11/16 10:39pm

By Petermarc on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 06:02 am: Edit

no, there are several pastis which are completely
clear, my impression about why i think this is not a pastis is the obvious smell of absinthe in the glass...it may not be as pronounced if it is taken straight (and it is clean and balanced enough to be enjoyed that way, not just choked down)but when water and sugar are added, it is very present along with mint and yes, i smell licorice, not so much lemon balm...i have not tried many absinthes (la sala,and after the sample of trenet (ok, not absinthe, but not pastis, either) and prague absinth, which i picked up in london, gag, what crap is this?)but i have smelled fresh and dried absinthe, and it smells exactly like this...it is identifiable...as don has said "taste the herbs"

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 05:16 am: Edit

Isn't this example too clear to be a pastis? I thought that pastis picked up colour from the maceration which was not lost as there was no subsequent distillation?

By Tabreaux on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 05:13 am: Edit

Even with dilution, I still don't have enough to make a reliable reading.

By Timk on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 12:24 am: Edit

Dilute it 50/50 with distilled water (or whatever you intend to do - hydrometer? - if its got much sugar in this will ruin the reading) and double the result

By Tabreaux on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 07:57 pm: Edit

It takes about 200mL to do that and I don't have enough.

By Petermarc on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 02:06 pm: Edit

i think the alcohol is much higher than pastis...you talked of testing for alcohol content, did you do that?

By Tabreaux on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 09:31 am: Edit

I wouldn't suspect that unless someone pointed out a particular pastis which was indistinguishable.

By Petermarc on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 08:54 am: Edit

do you actually think that this might be rebottled pastis?

By Tabreaux on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 08:09 am: Edit

The only reason they would have is a deliberate effort to decieve, and I feel that would more likely be done by way of rebottling pastis.

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 07:34 am: Edit

I can't really think why anyone would go to the trouble of producing a bootleg version of something that was perfectly legal, ie a pastis. One flavour that I had forgotten to mention in my review but which was actually quite noticable was mint. Not a full-on garden mint but more subtle, perhaps lemon balm?

By Petermarc on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 07:02 am: Edit

i guess it might also be too much of a stretch to imply that it is actually absinthe....;-)

By Tabreaux on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Justin was gracious to provide me with a small sample of Haut Doubs #9, and from that, I make the following review:

The liqueur is crystal clear, with only the very slightest green tint. The aroma is rather pungent and strongly sweet, and due to the nature of the aroma, I'd say it was fabricated using a pot still over an open flame. When you get a good whiff, you can detect some herbal textures behind the pungency.

In tasting it, you get something that is round and sweet (darker than star anise), with a finish which is sort of spicy in a 'cinnamon-like' fashion, with some herbal undertones. At first, the taste threw me off a bit, until I suddenly realized why. The primary flavor seems to come from a perfect balance of licorice root (sweet pungency) and star anise (cinnamon-like finish). This is not an unusual combination, as virtually all current French pastis products use a combination of both, but in this case, neither overpowers the other. Unlike pastis, this product seems to contain no (or very little) added sugar, far superior balance, and contains generous quantities of coloring herbs (employed in the distillation). This product has only the slightest bitterness, and it is too difficult to interpret the origin thereof.

In conclusion, this product tastes like a comparatively dry, scented pastis. I want to point out that I am not implying that it is pastis, but it has a similar flavor plus additional flavors not commonly tasted in garden-variety pastis. The lack of added sugar makes it very refreshing without being nauseating, and it certainly adds a twist to the La Bleue theme.

By Tabreaux on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 09:33 am: Edit

Yes I have, and I've had to taste it several times to come to my conclusions. I'll make post a proper review, maybe this evening.

By Petermarc on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 08:58 am: Edit

did ted get to try and/or test this sample?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation