Oxygenee Reviewed -Chrysippvs-

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Oxygenee Reviewed -Chrysippvs-
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through November 19, 2000  5   11/19 03:00pm

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 10:55 am: Edit

Let me give you a short coutrse in the history of the European Union. The (western) world was not so happy with two mainly European inspired world wars in the first half century of the 20th. Notwithstanding the rise of the Cold War, which saw the bipolar tension shift to the US versus the Soviets, European leaders sought a mechanism for the creation of a European federal state, a United States of Europe if you will. As such a proposal would have been anathema if proposed baldly, gradualism was employed. The steel. coal and atomic unions were introduced in the 1950s as the camel's nose under the tent flap. Slowly, so as to minimize nationalistic opposition, juridical, legislative and bureaucratic organs were introduced. Now there is the EU legislature in Brussels, the EU Courts in Paris etc. The Emu is still a bone of contention, the Euro has not been doing well, the Bundesbank is not a popular entity and is far from transparent, and several states have refused to join the monetary union.

Internally the 'social'(ist) aspects of the EU have progressed better, if that is the word.

From the vantage of a nation like Thailand, the implications of the EU's aggressive trade-block, (thinly disguised) protectionist strategies are clear. While most large exporters from Thailand have achieved ISO 9000 status, now they are faced with SA 9000 requirements that will not be met by non-European subsidiaries and so the Thai products will be disadvantaged or excluded altogether from the EU market unless EU standards for welfare and labor are adhered to. What is this but protectionism and neocolonialism?

Free Trade often does not translate to FAIR Trade.

This is NOT what the framers of the EU intended.

This is trade WAR.

The US needs to wake up and recognize what these assholes in Brussels are doing!

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 10:33 am: Edit

You all know, that it matters not at ALL if "aux extraits de plantes d'absinthe" is a legal appelation...if the point is deception. As is obviously the case.

Aren't you all as tired of these European games as I am?

Let me point out a few things:

Every 'disclosure of ingredients' scheme I know of, requires disclosure in order of quantity, and there is a threshold value beloe which disclosure is NOT required. Otherwise all manufacturers of everything would be bogged down with trace this and impurity that.

For example marc recently posted about Elixir Vegetal and said that 18 herbs were listed as ingredients in accompanying brochure. Well, my bet is that those are the 18 herbs above the legal threshold, and that another 100+ herbs are involved BELOW the disclosure threshold.

Those who dreamed up these insipid consumer laws did not reckon with the power of the makers to obfuscate and of the lawmakers to conspire to castrate the intent of the laws they wrote.

By Frenchman on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 11:19 am: Edit

I tried to contact CUSENIER/PERNOD in Creteil too.
They answered me that this pastis/absinthe? is a first try...And that the manager is in holidays !

I will phone again next week.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 07:14 am: Edit

i don't think "skittish" is the word...she happily
gave me the address and phone number for pernod/cusenier in creteil, in what i felt was an honest attempt to help me...

By Black_rabbit on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 07:07 am: Edit

Perhaps they get nervous when people ask the address of their gray market operation. Greased palms sometimes get sweaty when too much attention is paid to the source of the grease.

If some local official is looking the other way, that will work fine, unless some national official who didn't get his cut sees what is going on... and perhaps uses the media to show off his heroism in stamping out the Green Death.

Maybe if a distributor like SC contacted them they'd be a little less skittish.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 05:12 am: Edit

142 boulevard haussmann is, in fact, the main offices of pernod ricard...i told the front desk that i represented a group of americans who could not find one of their products and was given this address...she had no idea what oxygénée was, and called someone else who, had no idea what oxygénée was...i explained that this was the address given for cusenier...'no, there is another address for pernod/cusenier which is "just outside paris"'
(is this the famous site of le fée production?)and wrote down an address and phone number...i'll check on this as soon as i have time...why is this so difficult?...it was much easier finding an "artisanal" absinthe than it has been finding a legitimate(read huge)company that may only be producing an excellent pastis...

By Petermarc on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 03:45 pm: Edit

i'll try to stop by tomorrow or the next day during lunch to see what this address really is...

By Chrysippvs on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 02:50 pm: Edit

the address on the back label is:

cusenier
142 bd hausmann
75008 Paris

anyone want to try to contact them? If this stuff is pastis I want it here!

By Petermarc on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 02:47 pm: Edit

timk,
i called the people at cusenier, and they have no idea that this product exists...they even told me that the shop might be selling "old stock." i was told by the wine shop it is made by pernod...

By Tabreaux on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Yeah, fenchone is the primary essence of fennel, and pinocamphone is a lesser essence of any of several herbs. Ironically, despite of all the claims of various herbs, Absente tastes of nothing but licorice root.

By Grimbergen on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 01:31 pm: Edit

Ted,
No doubt it is an error, but still interesting. I wonder about the source of the error. Distributors are notorious for writing incorrect and misleading statements, but I wouldn't be surprised if the producers themselves led the distributors to a false conclusion.

And what the hell of this talk about other active ingredients? "fenchone et pino-camphone"? Heard of these Ted?

Grim

By Tabreaux on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 12:56 pm: Edit

And that is in error, as Absente contains no thujone, nor contains any sources of thujone.

By Grimbergen on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 11:38 am: Edit

Has anyone else noticed that the webpage Justin gave us has undergone some changes? The page was first mentioned by Franglais back on the 5th. When I checked it out then, Oxygenee and Absente were in the Pastis section. The web page now has a link which reads "...BREUVAGES a l'Absinthe." The link leads to a page titled "LES BREUVAGES AUX PLANTES D'ABSINTHE," and lists Absente and Oxygenee. It then goes on to claim that Absente contains thujone ("Cette liqueur aux plantes d'absinthe diffère de la "Fée verte" par les proportions infimes (conformément à la loi) des plantes assurant ses principes actifs (thuyone, fenchone et pino-camphone)"). And it states that "aux extraits de plantes d'absinthe" is a legal appelation.

Grim

By Chrysippvs on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 11:10 am: Edit

It is on the forum somewhere, also they people don't know English, only ship Fedex (one must have a federal import number and a tax id number), and only accept bank transfers as payment. It cost me around 240 for three bottles including bank fees.

Here it is..just found it:

http://www.vinotheque-thonon.com

Perhaps Betty can import it, but be prepared to pay a pretty penny...

- J

By _blackjack_ on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 10:31 am: Edit

Justin,

Since you wouldn't be cutting into your own business, then, could you give us a hint aout how to obtain it?

By Tabreaux on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 10:14 am: Edit

There is a Paris address on a sticker on the rear of the bottle. My guess is it's a distributor's address.

By Timk on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 10:07 am: Edit

Oh also, does thee the cusenier distillery have an address, phone number, e-mail address, web site or any means of contacting them?
Thanks

Tim

By Timk on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 09:52 am: Edit

Let me guess, Haute-Doubs number 9 lol

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation