Absinthe King Reviewed -Chrysippvs-

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Absinthe King Reviewed -Chrysippvs-
By Don_walsh on Sunday, November 19, 2000 - 04:07 am: Edit

Oh, c'mnon Justin! Don't hold back! Tell us what you REALLY think!

By Timk on Sunday, November 19, 2000 - 01:54 am: Edit

"Due to some confusion they must have used Dr. Mengele's recipe for absinthe instead of Dr. Ordinaire's. "

This has my vote for classic absinthe comment of the century

By Tabreaux on Sunday, November 19, 2000 - 12:42 am: Edit

I likewise was able to sample "Absinth King". This material is packaged in a clear glass bottle, with a skewed sketch of Van Gogh's head on the label. Apparent on the label are the phrases, "200 year-old recipe", and "For experts only". Naturally, anyone can find the humor in that.

Unfortunately, the humor stops there. The color is natural, as herbs are steeped in the bottle. Interestingly enough, like most Czech products, this one has the same general aroma, which is akin to rubbing alcohol. One sip of this and anyone will surely gag. Imagine taking a bottle of Hill's, and steeping some bitter herbs in it. I don't know how else to describe it, because that is exactly what it tastes like. I'm not sure what 'experts' drink this, but I don't know any of them. This product gets my award for the worst "absinth" in existence. I firmly believe that every time a bottle of this product is sold, the manufacturer laughs contemptuously.

By Midas on Saturday, November 18, 2000 - 10:43 pm: Edit

Sounds delightful!

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, November 18, 2000 - 11:11 am: Edit

Thanks to a friend of mine in New York I managed to get nearly a full bottle of Absinthe King for free. (Thanks Tish!!!)

Thankfully they drained out the little herbal floaters. Despite the nice "dead leaf" color. The aroma is very faintly anise, and moreso of alcohol. Anyone ever use Dr. Tichnors (sp?) Smells like that stuff...like all my childhood roadrash.

In a nutshell, no louche. When I brought it to my lips and drank it I could at that point understand why Van Gogh is on the label...this is the reason why he started using Turpentine chasers. It tastes like anise, and fecal matter..more fecal matter than anise. As far as secondary effects...yeah right, one sip and it almost louched into the toilet along with the rest of the days food.

Due to some confusion they must have used Dr. Mengele's recipe for absinthe instead of Dr. Ordinaire's.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation