Tarragona Spanish Pernod

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Tarragona Spanish Pernod
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through November 20, 2000  5   11/20 05:26am

By Jkk on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Tarragona--note final "a". Lovely, clean, picturesque city. Not at all like Barcelona, but then it seemed to have less of a night life to offer when I was there.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 11:24 am: Edit

No. When Absinthe was banned in France and after WWI, Pernod Fils moved its operation to Tarragona Spain, where absinthe continued to be made for awhile. Since the Spanish were not as fond of absinthe as the French, it never attained its pre-ban status.

By Eleusis on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 10:44 am: Edit

Is this a liquor made with Tarragon?

Eleusis

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 02:56 am: Edit

They seem to be rarer than hen's teeth even in Spain. I scoured every flea market in Barcelona and didn't see a single absenta item.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 03:34 pm: Edit

phil,
thanks again for the pictures...you can see the same style glasses in the picture of hemingway in spain c.1926 page 138 of conrad's absinthe book...
it was the same glass( without the pernod engraving) that i was forced to buy with a glass dispenser because the seller said it was a "system"; the dispenser doesn't fit because it is french (and older, like the pictures from the glass factory catalogs) with a flat bottom/polished pontil, heavier glass and no spout (just a hole)i have since seen a cut glass set(both dispenser and glass are matching diamond cross-hatching which looked spanish in design and was of more recent(20-30's) manufacture...now, i know it was spanish, and that these dispensers were probably more popular in spain (it was hotter and the ice melted faster ;-)...)

By Frenchman on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 10:23 am: Edit

You can see stuff i know about PERNOD SA TARRAGONA to :
http://www.frenchmanltd.com/pernod.jpg

I hope that there are a lot of other items to find !!

PhiL

By Frenchman on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 02:00 am: Edit

Stuff from Pernod Tarragona is very hard to find... but i am in France and perhaps it is more easy to find it in spain.

I will send you picture of glass and spoon this evening !

PhiL

By Wormwood on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 05:14 pm: Edit

More like they made a spoon in plexiglass.

At last count the spoon Phil has is the only one
known to exist in the world

By Chrysippvs on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 09:58 am: Edit

It would seem so, but probably not. I thought "hmmm over 13 million bottles a year, they have to be lying around everwhere!"

Then reality set in...

By Timk on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 09:54 am: Edit

Exactly what i was thinking Justin :- )

Tim

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation