'La Cressonnee': from absinthe with watercress to pastis?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:'La Cressonnee': from absinthe with watercress to pastis?
By Don_walsh on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 10:55 am: Edit

I was mistaken, the odd liqueur on Chartreuse site is a walnut liqueur not watercress...

By Timk on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 02:03 am: Edit

They also carry a DUVAL pastis - fritz duval anyone? lol : - )

By Sir_winston on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Tabreaux,

No, never have I worked with watercress--in fact, I don't think I've ever even eaten watercress, unless it was secreted into some anonymous salad or another that I've eaten at a restaurant. That's one reason I was interested in trying out this pastis when I ran across it. Though, I suppose I'll now have to eat some watercress before I try the La Cressonee, just to have a frame of reference. At any rate, one of the bottles will look nice in my liquor cabinet next to the other ex-absinthe pastis products. :-)

Don,

A quick look at Chartreuse Diffusion reveals no watercress-based liquors, but that doesn't mean there may not have been before. With all the talk of Chartreuse here lately, though, I feel like trying out the Elixir Vegetal. It's not even listed in the special-orders catalogue from the VA ABC--no surprise, they suck as well as being overpriced--but I'll surely be able to find it with a quick trip into D.C. We have a great place called Schneider's of Capitol Hill which has just about everything...

As for what deserves to be called "absinthe," I started writing my own humble opinions on the subject, but started running on to a very lengthy post. So, I thought I'd post it under its own subject heading.

sir_winston@usa.net

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 07:35 am: Edit

I seem to recall that there is a watercress liqueur also on the Chartreuse Diffusion website, maybe sold only in France, maybe not, I paid scant attention.

As Absintheur has stated and hinted, when absinthe was king, lots of things strived to be called absinthe whether they deserved the monicker or not. Almost, any herbal liqueur that didn't have a strong appellation, wanted to be 'absinthe' when absinthe was in demand.

Absintheur and I differ as to the contemporary consequences of this confusion; that is all. There's no denying that in the 19th century this was a muddle.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 07:28 am: Edit

La Cressonnee was purported to be absinthe with a base of watercress. My interpretation of this is that watercress was used as a masking agent in lieu or in conjunction with anise. If you've ever worked with watercress, you'll realize that this seems a bit bizarre.

By Sir_winston on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 11:27 pm: Edit

The other day I was piddling around, looking up pages that made reference to various absinthe brands. 'La Cressonnee' was the absinthe which set itself apart with an unusual ingredient: watercress. Whether or not it was, strictly speaking, an absinthe, is I suppose open to debate, but the phrase used on the bottle was "Absinthe a Base de Cresson," and its advertising made clear that it was being marketed as an absinthe.

At any rate, I ran across one page--and one page only--which was retailing something called 'La Cressonnee." It was located in the pastis section of a Luxembourg-based spirits retailer. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this, or even knew that it existed.

Being the sucker that I am for trying out any new liquors, especially good pastis, I've ordered three bottles. I figured I may as well order three, since they were inexpensive (19.50 DM) and since shipping to the U.S. is so expensive I may as well buy a few rather than one. So, if no one has tried it, I will soon and will have a review posted as soon as I get the package, probably in two to three weeks. Hopefully it'll turn out to be a good pastis, rather than a sickly-sweet one. At any rate, it should be interesting to try out Perhaps when the bottles arrive I'll be able to tell whether they have anything at all to do with the original brand of absinthe, or whether it's a coincidence that there's a pastis with the same name. I'd bet, however, that coincidence is unlikely, and that this is some odd descendant of the old brand, much as Pernod and Herbsaint have survived in a bastardized form.

Until then, I anxiously await a new beverage. I wonder just what watercress pastis tastes like...?!?

sir_winston@usa.net

P.S.--The site was http://www.euro-retail.co.uk , which is the U.K. branch of a Luxembourg-based company. They were extremely friendly and helpful when I e-mailed them about whether it was possible to ship to the U.S., even though it wasn't listed in their menu of destinations.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation