Doub #9 review - Absinthedrinker

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Doub #9 review - Absinthedrinker
By Petermarc on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 02:53 pm: Edit

the only way to wife thought we were both crazy, but was reassured that i was not the only one...uncut pontarlier,ahhhh....i'm looking forward to doing this in a parisien restaurant/bistro...have a couple in mind, but...

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 05:04 am: Edit

Actually we really went to town on it! One East glass, one Pontarlier, one egg and a swirl -complete with spoons and saucers. Luckily for us there was only one other table occupied when we started so there was no attention.

By Midas on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 04:39 am: Edit

#9 sounds like an interesting drink. I'm curious, did you use an an antique set for the tasting? the only reason I ask is I'd imagine it would attract a certain degree of curiosity from the surrounding tables!

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 03:56 am: Edit

I had hoped to wait until I had tasted some La Bleue before writing this review but as the bottle has been held up by the ineptitude of the UK postal service and the greed of HM Customs & Excise I will have to proceed without comparison.

Peter and Sabine joined us on Saturday in a Thai restaurant in London where the owner had kindly agreed that we could conduct a tasting and Peter had kindly brought some doub #9. I don't know whether it was the lighting or my eyesight, but I could detect no hint of colour in the #9 which was crystal clear. Undiluted it had a subtle but complex nose with liquorice to the fore, it had a very dry taste and a numbing effect on the tongue. We diluted it 1 to 2 over single sugar tablets which seemed enough to bring out the bouquet and a delicate but obvious louche. Diluting the absinthe brought out more flavours and a very pronounced dryness. I would use the term astringent rather than bitter to describe the effect as it was felt on the tip of the tongue rather in the way that tannin from a young wine is felt. The flavour of wormwood was more pronounced than in any other absinthe I have tasted (limited to Spanish and La Fée - which is why I had hoped to taste La Bleue). It was dissimilar to all other absinthes but had some of the complexity of Segarra without the 'thickness'. All in all a very pleasant and well crafted drink.

As an interesting footnote, I learned from the lady who runs the restaurant that the sip she had had made her feel quite dizzy and she had had to lie down afterwards. Whether this can be attributed to secondary effects or being unused to high strength alcohol I don't know.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation