Fountain in spain

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Fountain in spain
By Domingo on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 05:42 pm: Edit

A couple of members here have seen the fountain I made last year. The one with wooden base and spoon draw. Being a carpenter this was the easiest base to make. I made a square box with a draw. The sides stand about an inch higher than the top (to capture the large, glass suare vessel. The glass was actually the starting point. It is about a foot tall and 10" x 10". 1/2" thick and emgossed water line at the top. The wood was all maple (stained a deep cherry) with a nice routered finish on the drawer.
The spigots took awhile to find, clayartcenter was mentioned here, thats who I used. As for the holes in the glass. Drilling is very depressing. My first attempt shattered on the last hole (out of four holes). The way to do it is sand blasting. Cut the size hole you need in a square of rubber roofing. Then use spray epoxy to fasten rubber into position. Then blast away. Always fill vessel with sand when blasting. This is an old trick my uncle showed me. He used to make custom fish tanks out of glass water coolers in the 70's. Also it helps to erect a temporary blasting booth out of poly in the cellar.
My friends and I are very satisfied with the results. We use it whenever we get together. The spigots from the clayartcenter do need an additional "o" ring gasket to make the seal but are really nece and small.
If any one would like to see a couple of photos please email me and I will send.

By Thegreenimp on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 07:22 am: Edit

Go to www.clayartcenter.com for the taps that you could use.
I doubt that you will find anything of use in a modelshop as the live steam modelers are usually very skilled machinists, that make their own parts.
Do not even think about drilling the glass shade with a diamond bit with out having a decent drill press, and going very slow with it.
I've been a professional modelmaker since 1978,(doing design and prototype models)... so I have used a a variety of machine tools over the years. Glass needs to be drilled very carefully, especially any type of glass lampshade.
If you can get access to a Milling machine that would be my first choice to use. A better choice for the average person, would be to take the glass to a glass shop that does fabrication and machining to be drilled.
Regards
Jay

By Sir_winston on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 02:29 am: Edit

Germanandy,

You could consider putting the taps on the glass, but it would be more difficult and maybe not look as good. I'm not sure how you'd connect the taps to glass... It's probably easiest to look for something the right size for a base plate between the glass and the lamp pole, something you can drill into to connect the taps. Or, if the part of the lamp pole you say is wide enough to attach the glass to is tall enough, maybe you could drill and attach the taps there...

sir_winston@usa.net

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 02:07 am: Edit

Sir Winston

You might be able to get small taps and connectors from a model shop. I think such things are used in model steam engines.

By Germanandy on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 12:01 am: Edit

what about cutting holes for the spigots close to the bottom of the glass (with a diamond drill, here in germany they are not very expensive) and aply the glass direct on the base?
i've got a old art deco lamp at home with a beautyfull base and glass with the right shape will fit on it, but my wife say she will hit me when i cut off the top of this lamp (you see, i've got the same idea as you).
when you have finished your fountain, please post a picture (i will do this of course).
by the way, after a long research i have now the chance to get myself a video about moonshining absinth in val de tarvers (german language).
it is a dokumentation that was running in the swiss tv last year in january.
the title is "absinth - eine schweizer schnappsidee", more info at http://www.filmtage-solothurn.ch/sft_34/dok34/1999_0802.html
ever seen or heard about it?
in case that i get the video and anyone of you is interestet, i will send you a copy just for selfcost, i dont want to make any money with that.
i will post it here if it is so far.

mfg

andy

By Sir_winston on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 11:38 pm: Edit

Ouch, that's not at all impressive. In fact...it's pretty ugly and impractical. :-)

I myself have been wanting an absinthe fountain, ever since I started rekindling my old interest in absinthe. However, vintage fountains are so expensive, and those things made be Muse Verte are just..uggghhhh...hideous. I cannot believe that one of those terra-cotta things is selling on eBay right now for, last I checked, over $150. I'd rather pour my water by hand than use one of those, but maybe my aesthetics are just too stringent.

Anyway, with no affordable options, I've decided to may my own. It won't look exactly like a vintage fountain, but it will certainly have a similar overall style, and look better than the Muse Verte thing.

Here is my parts list:

1 small lamp with an attractive and thin metallic post, from Wal-Mart. Price: about $15-$35, I haven't decided which one to buy yet.

1 large glass food jar, tapered and rounded, similar shape to the glass on antique fountains, from my local large supermarket. I went to three supermarkets before I found the right jar, this one happens to be a jar that had baked beans in it. Price: $5.99

4 single-valve taps, from a Home Depot hardware store. The ones I found aren't as thin and long and pretty as the ones from vintage fountains, but I couldn't find thinner ones. They were spigots for an outdoor water hose connection, with a wide hose-width nozzle at the end of the tap, but I'm going to cut these off with a hacksaw and vise. The part that will be left will be only 1/2 inch wide, and look pretty good. I plan to buy at least 8 of them, since I'll probably slip with the hacksaw a few times. Price: $1.25 each.

I still need to find 2 components, but I should find them soon. I need to find something with a top for my fountain, that matches the base well enough--probably will be another lamp with a wide metal piece across the top of the shade, or one of those outdoor decorative lanterns for the side of the house. And, I need to find something to sit the glass jar atop and mount to the lamp's post. and to which I can mount the single-valve spigots. It shouldn't take too long to find the right things if I really get the time to go out and look at a few hardware and home furnishing stores.

What I'm doung, in case someone hasn't visualized it right, is this:

Cut the top part of the lamp off with a hacksaw, so that just the base and post are left. I haven't decided yet whether to use a plain-looking metal lamp, or one with a Victorian style post. On top of this I will mount the piece which will have the taps on each side, after mounting the taps on it. I'm not sure what I'll end up using, but it won't be too hard to find a flat, circular metal piece through which I can drill mounts for the taps and which will roughly match the circumference of the bottom of my jar. The jar I already purchased, because I found a size/shape similar to old absinthe fountains, by looking all over the place at everything in jars at the supermarkets. This jar happened to have baked beans in it. I will have to cut a hole in the bottom of the jar, for the water to flow into the metal piece beneath it and through the spigots. On top of this I will put a top piece from either a lamp or an outdoor decorative lantern, by mounting it to the jar's screw-top and filling in the sides with either black rubber compound or something similarly form-fitting, so that the screw-top will not be visible from the outside. I already painted the inside of the jar's screw-top black and then covered the paint with a clear glaze that's approved for use on food-grade ceramics.

When I finally find all that I need, it will probably cost about $100 or so, plus a lot of my personal time and sweat. ;-)

That being said, does anyone know a source for smaller, thinner taps/spigots, closer to the ones used on vintage French absinthe fountains? I doubt it, but it's worth asking. I thought about making my own from the very thin and fairly flexible copper pipes used in plumbing, but I can't find a valve that small...

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 11:24 pm: Edit

put it on a counter top or a little stand....not sure...

By Germanandy on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 10:54 pm: Edit

hello,

thats right, i'm asking myself how to use this thing.
there is no space to put a glass unbeneath.
any idea?

mfg

andy

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 10:13 pm: Edit

From what I have seen they look like this...not very impressive compared to vintage ones..

absenta fountain

By Germanandy on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 09:57 pm: Edit

ladies and gentlemen,

i've heard that there are some new absinth fountains available in spain, is that true?
does anyone of you have a picture of a new spanish fountain or a descreption how they look like (made of glass or terracotta like the muse verte)?
I'm going to spain (catalunya, near barcelona) in january for vacation.
do you have any idea where to get them (bodega, warehouse, flea market) and the price?
thank you for your help.

mfg (means best regards)

andy

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation