"ABSINTHE BANDWAGON HITS HOLLYWOOD!"

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000: "ABSINTHE BANDWAGON HITS HOLLYWOOD!"
By Absinthedrinker on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 09:21 am: Edit

I think it is a great album and some of the songs are 'dark' classics. I bought it after I saw a live rendition of Stagger Lee on a TV show, that is a very uncompromising song (although based on a traditional lyric). I have had quite fraught discussions with my wife and other female friends about whether the album is deeply misogynistic. I prefer to think not but it can be quite hard to defend. Nick Cave said in an interview that murder was just about acceptable for an album whereas rape would not be. I guess he likes to explore the dark side of life.

PS a drink to John Lennon who died 20 years ago today, sadly missed.

By _blackjack_ on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 05:14 am: Edit

I have a friend whose ~mother~ really likes "Murder Ballads." Creepy...

By Tavis on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 02:36 am: Edit

...especially when you start quoting Milton at them ;-)

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 02:27 am: Edit

And it's an excellent way of getting rid of unwanted guests :-)

By Tavis on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 11:52 pm: Edit

The whole 'murder ballads' album kicks considerable ass.

By _blackjack_ on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 09:19 am: Edit

She did a lovely duet with Nick Cave, which makes her OK in my book.

By Tavis on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 06:45 am: Edit

Kylie is also pure sex, albeit in minature form...

By Midas on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 06:41 am: Edit

Oh, and a friend of mine who just finished filming his scenes as Armand on the upcoming 'Queen Of The Damned' film said absinthe gets a mention in that one too.

By Midas on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 06:39 am: Edit

Kallisti, Kylie Minogue is a soapie star turned singer. She's extremely well known here and in the UK. Also, because of her stature and voice, she is also known as the 'Singing Budgie'.
This could be interesting.
-Robert.

By Admin on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 03:09 pm: Edit

a bit more on Moulin Rouge ... they've got someone on board cast as "the green fairy" ...hmmmmmm.

http://www.upcomingmovies.com/moulinrouge.html

pix of the actress:

http://us.imdb.com/NUrls?IMG+Minogue,+Kylie

Kallisti (aka the costume drama whore)

By Midas on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 12:02 am: Edit

Morriganlefey, thanks. Moulin Rouge has finished filming. A couple of friends of mine were in it. Not many know that some of the 'feature' costumes, ie, the ones that are supposed to grab your attention, are actually originals. I met the man who supplied alot of them.
If nothing else, it should LOOK fabulous.
-Robert.

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Midas - The December issue of Vogue (U.S) has an article/photospread on Nicole Kidman and the new Baz Luhrmann film "Moulin Rouge" set for release early 2001. It is being filmed in Aussie-land, has plenty of lush costumes (ala' Catherine Martin!) and velvet-draped backdrops. Plot may be weak, but it LOOKS lovely!

There is a photo of John Leguizamo as Toulouse-Lautrec complete with a glowing green glass of impish liquid in hand. Also a few mentions of absinthe in the article, but it concentrates more on the film production than the period.

- Morrigan

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 10:17 am: Edit

He had 4.5 g of powder and a Wonder Woman costume.

Sounds like a party.

BC

By Anatomist1 on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 08:06 am: Edit

Speaking of Hollywood... sorry to get all National Enquirer on y'all's ass, but I have taken a fit of anger recently about this Robert Downey, Jr. business. I just heard his version of Joni Mitchell's "River", and he's actually a pretty decent pop singer... and piano player. He hasn't been in too many good movies, but he has always appeared to be captivating, gifted actor whenever I have seen him. I just read a cursory review of his legal troubles and it's all absolute bullshit: posession of very small amounts for personal use, and failing drug tests. A whole lot of public resources are being used to harass him and lock him in a little box. What the fuck? We're not talking about some skeezer that robs 7-11's. Locking him up is depriving us of potentially great movies.

It would be nice if incidents like this caused people to question the insanity of our drug laws, instead of decrying the decadence of hollywood celebrities. I've read Camille Paglia talk about this issue before, and I think she's absolutely right: america's puckered-sphinctered moralism is hostile to art. It is the nature and role of the artist to explore the extremes, to take risks. In exchange for their willingness to risk and sacrifice as culture-bearers, we should cut them some slack. I say let Downey out of jail, and give him a nice eight-ball for his trouble, celebrate the fact the Woody Allen is fucking his stepdaughter, hire a whole slew of cocksucking transvestites for Hugh Grant, give George Jones a lifetime supply of vodka...

K.

By Midas on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 04:19 am: Edit

Welcome back, Mr. Marc!
I can't speak for anywhere else, but here both Mechanical Animals and especially Antichrist Superstar did quite well. I'm assuming that these are the ones you're reffering to, as Holy Wood hasn't been out very long (although it's #3 on the Alternative charts here).
I'm biased, as I'm an active member of the Australian Goth scene, and we hear more of his stuff than the general populus. In fact, If I hear the Beautiful People one more time...
Maybe calling him "the King of Marketing" was being over zealous.I think it comes down to him knowing how to get noticed, and doing it well. Album sales are another matter.
And as much shit as he gets (some of it deservedly so), I've met him several times, and he can be a very decent human being.
Wormwood, is a "Goth video" like a National Geographic documentary? "The Goth In It's Natural Habitat - Filmed on location in Waverley Cemetry". "Sex, Death, And Eyeliner- Gothic Customs and Practices". "Siouxsie, Sisters and Sex Gang Children - Idols Of The Chromatically Challenged". I've never found Absinthe to be "cool and goth". I've always found it to be cool and refreshing ; )
-Robert.

By Marc on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 02:01 am: Edit

If Marilyn Manson is a marketing genius, why has his last two albums bombed?

By Wormwood on Tuesday, November 28, 2000 - 07:38 am: Edit

Marlyn Manson is a marketing genius, thats why I
am suprised it has taken him so long to zero in on
absinthe.

He is/was friends with Trent "perfect drug"
Reznor, who made a video for goths calling a glass
of midori melon liquor with an absinthe label on
it "the perfect drug." Absinthe is cool and goth.

He states in his autobiography that he loves
Jagermeister. So he would probably like the
flavor. Its not that far a jump from one trendy
herbal liquor to another.

I expect to see a bottle of Ted and Don's Jade
Liquor in some Goth video by the year 2001.

By Midas on Tuesday, November 28, 2000 - 07:17 am: Edit

Oh, and apparently the latest Australian issue of Vogue magazine includes an article on absinthe and it's revival.
I'm buying a copy tomorrow, so I'll let you know. I'm not expecting in-depth reporting from Vogue, however.

By Midas on Tuesday, November 28, 2000 - 07:13 am: Edit

I think it also comes down to Marilyn Manson being the king of marketing. He knows how to bend a concept to fit his own agenda. Like him or loathe him, he knows how to raise young gothlings into a sycophantic frenzy, whilst making moral crusaders turn away in disgust. Obviously, he's no trail blazer, but he's certainly taken up the faux-antichrist image and ran with it. Therefore if he encounters anything with even vaguely sinister or taboo, he'll use it for his own gain. He did it with the 'good kid gone bad' concept on "Portrait of an American Family". He did it with the pseudo-nazi imagery of his "Antichrist Superstar" tour, and he did it with all things clinical, technological and extra-terrestrial through his character Omega on "Mechanical Animals". And on "Holy Wood", it's left hand path magickal imagery. Absinthe is his latest target. He might truly appreciate it for what it is, but it doesn't hurt his image to have the "banned hallucinogenic liquor of the nineteenth century" as his latest gimmick.
-Robert "I like quotation marks" Maxwell.

By The_nephilim on Monday, November 27, 2000 - 06:15 pm: Edit

The whole Marilyn Manson and absinthe
connection is not a big surprise.

Manson was originally "discovered" and
signed to Trent Reznor's Nothing records.
Reznor for the last few years has been
hanging out in New Orleans. Reznor obviously
has some sort of absinthe connection as he
is plainly shown doing the pouring ritual with
some sort of radioactive green irridescent
liquid during the "Perfect Drug" video.

Manson has also lived in NO for a long while
during the recording of Anti-Christ Superstar.

Let's see... Reznor records and produces
Mansons' album, they're friends, they're in
NO....

I'm not vouching for what they know or don't
know, jus that there are no surprises here.
--
the nephilim

By Don_walsh on Monday, November 27, 2000 - 09:58 am: Edit

Course, that's where the Green Boheemies made their lucre. So let them have their 15 minutes of fame. Is this the best they can do?

By Anatomist1 on Monday, November 27, 2000 - 08:17 am: Edit

Marilyn Manson shooting his mouth off about something he doesn't know anything about?
Shocking.

K.

By Bob_chong on Monday, November 27, 2000 - 07:55 am: Edit

And speaking of which, has anyone seen the commercial for the upcoming TNT version of David Copperfield? There's a brief clip of Michael Richards toasting with a cloudy, yellow-green liquid in an absinthe-type glass. I wonder...

BC

By Midas on Monday, November 27, 2000 - 05:26 am: Edit

I'm sure we've all heard about Hill's sponsoring The Beach and The X-Men premieres in the UK, seen the Perfect Drug film clip, and heard about Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio and Damien Hirst's penchant for absinthe, but has anyone seen 'Alternative Press' or 'Kerrang' magazine lately? The lovely Brian 'Marilyn Manson' Warner is the latest creature of the spotlight to out himself as an absintheur (is anyone surprised? I think not).
Obviously, the article's were written because of the release of his new album 'Holy Wood', but absinthe features in both. The AP article has a two page title spread of Mr. Manson at a writing desk with a bottle of Sebor, scalpel in one hand, ear in the other, a la Van Gogh. In the article, he talks about the drink and exhibits his somewhat limited knowledge. In Kerrang, he's shown at a mixing desk, glass of abs in hand, with a bottle of La Fee in the back ground.
Who's next, I wonder. Brittney Spears? Larry Flint? Ooh, maybe princess Margaret...
-Robert.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation