Who Here Wrote This?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Who Here Wrote This?
By Billynorm on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 11:58 pm: Edit

Who invented radio? RCA & too many history books claim Marconi did, but a U.S. Supreme Court decision in 1943 (after Tesla's death, unfortunately) states that Tesla, among others, did. Tesla most certainly did invent radio remote control & servomechanisms.

I was going to list some websites concerning this issue, but my server truncated the URLs for the sites, so I'll recommend my own website which has the appropriate links, if you're interested: http://community-2.webtv.net/BeepMessiah/THEBEEPMESSIAH/

By Midas on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 08:57 am: Edit

Laurie Anderson! I got to see her live a few years ago, and I wasn't dissappointed. Also, I once saw a drag queen friend of mine do Sharkey's Night. That was special.
Oh Superman, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

By Anatomist1 on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 07:39 am: Edit

In 1986, just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, Tesla's reputation took a turn toward true ignomiousness when a cheeseball, big-hair, glam metal band donned his name and released their first album. To many americans under the age of thirty, I would venture to guess that the mention of his name conjures images of grown men with teased bimbo hair, and such hits as "Yesterdaze Gone" and "Cumin' Atcha Live".... oh, the humanity!

Actually, that science teacher is right. I don't remember a damn thing about Tesla being taught to me in school. I first took note of him when Laurie Anderson talked about him in one of her pieces. Then, I read a little about him on my own... given my jumling of the facts, apparently very little.

K.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 09:28 pm: Edit

Tesla developed most of the basic technology for long distance power transmission, invented the three-phase AC motor, and even succeeded in having the US Supreme Court overturn Marconi's basis radio patent in favor of his own earlier filings of the same circuitry.

He worked for Edison for years until Edison cheated him over a $50,000 bonus for inventing, on demand, an improvement in efficiency of AC motors. He quit and teamed up with George Westinghouse, which was the start of Westinghouse Electric. Together they built Niagra Falls...yes, Edison violently opposed AC power distribution, believinbg quite wrongly that DC is safer. DC is far more dangerous than AC in actuality.

Yep, Edison gave the world the electric chair so he could scare people about AC.

Tesla was a scientist. Edison was what we now would call a technocrat. Edison invented the industrial research lab, but as a scientist he was a plodder. Tesla once said that 90% of Edison's try-everything approach to research could have been replaced with a little thought and calculation.

Yes, Tesla died broke and alone during WWII.

The real tragedy didn't occur until after his death. The Edison Institute's funding of hitory-of-technology programs in academia, and of the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History, and its influence on the history committee of the IEEE, have just about rewritten the past to script Tesla the eccentric Serbian scientist out in favor of Edison the WASP technologist. At the Smithsonian there is or was an Edison exhibit and statue or bust, next to a photo of Niagra Falls and the patents on power transmission...implying that these were Edison's accomplishments! Only if one bothered to erad the fine print of the patents did Tesla's name appear anywhere. Giving Edison credit for projects he actively opposed and slandered, well, that's not what we expect of the NMAH is it?

There has been some backlash at the grassroots level. A high school science teacher who took his class to see the museum was so indignant at the exhibit and so horrified at the stonewalling he got from the Smithsonian Institution about it when he complained, that he set up a website and sells Tesla T-shirts to raise funds to restore Tesla's profile as one of the giants of American science.

Bear in mind that immigrants like Tesla, and George Steinmetz, were victimized by the anti-Serb, anti-German tide of anger and revenge that swept the US during WWI. The US didn't want any German or eastern european scientific heroes during that period. A shameful episode.

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 08:29 pm: Edit

It seems tragically humorous today, but Edison actually championed DC current for the masses back then. To prove the hideous dangers of AC current -- advocated by N. Tesla -- Edison, Westinghouse(?), et. al. had a traveling road show where they electocuted dogs and farm animals to prove AC current's dangers. I'm not a historian, but from what little I have read, if ever a man was railroaded by a capitalist conspiracy, Tesla was the man.

Incidentally, his dream of the wireless transmission of electric current has now been rendered a horror by current findings about the association of magnetic fields and cancer...

K.

By Daedelus on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Anatomist1,

I just saw this today on www.rense.com

Funny how things just happen to appear in your life coincidentally

"A new documentary about visionary scientist and inventor Nikola Tesla.

Nikola Tesla (1856-1943) was one of the most fascinating scientists of the 20th century. He invented, developed or imagined the technology that
brought us electricity, remote control, neon and fluorescent lighting, radio transmission and wireless communications...all the devices that now
connect the world of information.

Tesla was a brilliant and charismatic immigrant whose talent took him to the height of celebrity. He locked horns with Thomas Edison, J. Pierpont
Morgan, Guglielmo Marconi, and George Westinghouse. Mark Twain and Fiorello LaGuardia praised his genius. They are all characters in this program, the very first to tell the full story of Tesla's life and work.

Tesla was not a practical man. He gave his life to realize his visions, while others made millions with his inventions. Tragically, he died penniless and forgotten.

Tesla, Master of Lightning recognizes a great and misunderstood man of science. Many new and unknown details of Tesla's life have been uncovered for this program. Much of the story is told in Tesla's own words, drawn from his autobiographical and scientific writings.

The life of Nikola Tesla is an inspiring example of the power of one man to battle the odds and change the world with his revolutionary ideas.

Preview - National Academy of Sciences
Tuesday, December 5, 2000 at 6:30 pm

Film Preview: Tesla: Master of Lightning
National Academy of Sciences Auditorium

Natonal Television PBS premiere December 12 at 10:00 pm

For information, call 202.234.0608

Producer/Director: ROBERT UTH
Executive Producer: PHYLIS GELLER
Written By: ROBERT UTH and PHYLIS GELLER
Senior Science Advisor: LELAND I. ANDERSON
Voice of Nikola Tesla: STACY KEACH

A PRODUCTION OF NEW VOYAGE COMMUNICATIONS"

Stacy Keach as the voice of Nikola Tesla? I would have never picturd old Nikola as such a burly and gruff fellow....

I wonder if they will mention his sexual prowess that Don alluded to?

Deadelus

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 08:09 pm: Edit

I've gotta find out more about Nikolai. He's got that 'revolution that never was' thing going... and the evil Edison constantly beating him without honor... to the tune of electrocuting dogs and horses no less. He was platform shoes before platform shoes were cool.

K.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 05:17 pm: Edit

Not at all. Quirky and all, Tesla was described as irresitible to women, suave and smooth. I guess he had a magnetic personality.

By Billynorm on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 11:00 am: Edit

Don,

I wasn't aware of Tesla being a lover. I thought he was much too obsessve-compulsive to indulge in anything so germ-ridden as sex!

By Midas on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 11:49 pm: Edit

My housemate and I had a gathering at our place in memoriam for Mr. Wilde. Absinthe, brandied fruits, and Satie.
It was a good evening all round.
In 1882,when asked what his worst nightmare was, Wilde said "Leading a respectable and unobtrusive life in an obscure village".
We love ya, Oscar.
-Robert.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 09:15 pm: Edit

Ditto!

By _blackjack_ on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Yeah, man. I'm an extraordinay lover, and look at me :)

By Don_walsh on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 01:09 pm: Edit

Justin, if a half century has taught me anything, it is that in matters amorous there is NO accounting for taste. Maybe Verlaine had hidden charms, who knows? Some of history's greatest lovers were unlikely -- Cyrano, Tesla, Sidney Reilly.

Also, did you mean the capitol city of Idaho, or, young men?

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 11:50 am: Edit

Atleast he was buggering Boise...ever seen pictures of that hagard Verlaine in his youth...I feel sorry for poor Rimbaud, I wonder how much absinthe it took for him to start to look a bit better...

By _blackjack_ on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 09:18 am: Edit

I prefer:

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is doing seven years hard labour for buggery."

By Tabreaux on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 08:53 am: Edit

Words of wisdom Absinthedrinker, words of wisdom.

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 08:37 am: Edit

Or how about

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about" (ibid, Picture of Dorian Gray)

By Don_walsh on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 08:34 am: Edit

Why would we sell a nonstandard 70 cl bottle? We feel that those who do have gone out of their way to short the customer 50 ml of product compared to a standard 750 ml bottle, and that is rather smarmy when we are talking about an expensive bottle of absinthe.

Don't you agree?

By Don_walsh on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 08:26 am: Edit

Absintheur, our bottle won't be .7 liter, so add the wrong size to that idiot's list of 'wrongs'.

As to the price, we'll be happy to sell 2 bottles for well under $160 the pair, plus the postage. Kindly don't extrapolate from some hack's lies. If you want to know something ask me or Ted, it isn't as if you don't have access to us.

By Absintheur on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 06:29 am: Edit

"78 GBP OR $160 US (and those are not equal) a bottle, and it does not come from USA -- save in a sort of theoretical sense."

That's not what I said -- I said $160 a liter. They listed it as 78 for .7 liters. Scaling up to a one liter bottles comes out to roughly $160 a liter.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 04:51 am: Edit

Lord H, were he on our payroll, he would have gotten the name right and the price right and the country of origin right.

Instead he got these all wrong.

It isn't called Breaux Absinthe, is isn't 78 GBP OR $160 US (and those are not equal) a bottle, and it does not come from USA -- save in a sort of theoretical sense.

The author had my Oxford University web page in hand but was too lazy to bother contacting me to verify anything. If, as Absintheur opined, the author hails from this very forum, he didn't contact Ted either. I doubt that he is a participant in this Forum, or else he'd get his facts straight, and know that Shultz Absinthe is Czech swill not Swiss absinthe at all.

In short this is a product of the utmost sloth and ignorance and on that basis I expect this fellow will go far in Fleet Street, walk the corridors of power, shake the very foundations of society at will, and one day disappear overboard from his yacht, an apparent suicide.

There are precedents.

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 03:49 am: Edit

As the great man and absintheur said:

"There is much to be said in favour of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the
ignorance of the community."

lets raise a glass to Oscar Wilde 1854 - 1900

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 01:44 am: Edit

Anatomist,

Come on chill out, it's only a laugh. The forum needs a bit of humour from time to time.

Hobgoblin

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 01:38 am: Edit

Ted & Don,

All publicity is good publicity, (even if it is fabrication). What journalism doesn't include an element of fabrication?. You should thank this freelancer, (if he's not of course already on your payroll).

You should find this bar in Clerkenwell and send it a couple of complimentary bottles ASAP, as people may be turning up at this bar as we speak, demanding glasses of Breaux Absinthe. Think of the repeat orders. Shame not to take advantage of this ;-)

Hobgoblin

By Grimbergen on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Don and Ted. Jesus, you guys have it easy. You're product isn't even on the market and it is getting great unsolicited reviews ;)

By Anatomist1 on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 03:37 pm: Edit

...and printing a lie, then obsequiously agreeing to delete it under duress is most certainly NOT the equivalent of telling the truth in the first place. I don't know whether this story is of any real importance to anyone or not, but just reading this kind of oily obfuscation fills me with the compulsion to bathe.

K.

By Anatomist1 on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Chrysippys,

Have you been hanging out with Al Gore? "simply misinformation" my ass. A lie is a lie. "Misinformation" is a politician's mutilation of the english language one uses (not utilizes) when one is trying to cover something up...

K.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 10:04 am: Edit

Oh it wasn't a joke at first....I discovered it and we were still musing on how to approach it, and then Absintheur made the post this morning and that is how things developed. It was that and just that...I really don't think this obsucre page in cyberspace or any importance, but of course, we should have any misinformation corrected..and that is what this is..simply misinformation.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 09:59 am: Edit

Well, dammit, I wish someone had let ME in on the 'joke' before it got thrown in our faces by Absintheur. Esp as it directly concerned my Oxford page.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 09:40 am: Edit

Of course not...Ted and I spoke about it...we thought it was hillarious...

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 09:34 am: Edit

Here is the only language in the Oxford webpage concerning Ted:

"A New Orleans chemist and microbiologist, Ted Breaux, has spent seven years studying absinthe and has replicated the recipe for one of the most important Belle Epoch brands, Eduoard Pernod. Breaux is a perfectionist about absinthe making, and owns two bottles of century old premium Pernods, which greatly facilitated his efforts. Breaux' absinthe (soon to be commercialized outside of the US) is believed by many to be the finest the world has seen since 1915"

This clearly states that his absinthe will be commercialized outside of the United States.

This 'freelancer' fabricated the "two bottles in a bar in Clerkwell" out of thin air. He fabricared "Breaux Absinthe" as a brand out of "Breaux' absinthe" in my text. He lied about the place of origin. He lied about the price. What he didn't lie about he just made up. And he stole a piece of art from the Oxford page to boot.

Well that's 'journalism' to some people.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 09:21 am: Edit

Ted, kindly email the 'editor' and disabuse him of any such notions as 'Breaux Absinthe'.

The Oxford Univ. page points correctly to my email address. These people have never contacted me for information.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 09:16 am: Edit

Bar in Clerkenwell my ass. This must be the cyberzine that trains the tabloid staff for the worst publications in the UK.

BTW Justin, you found out about this and never mentioned it to Ted?

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 09:11 am: Edit

I found out about this a while back and did some researching..here is what I learned

"The article within the studentmagazine.com site was written by one of our freelance writers a while back.

I remember him mentioning a bar he visited in Clerkenwell that stocked two bottles of Breaux Absinthe, which the bartender told him was the finest brand available. I understand it is of US origin, so I'm not sure how it came to be imported into this country.
Is it now officially imported into the UK?

We did find more information about Breaux Absinthe at the following website :

http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/mom/absinthe/absinthe.html

I'm sure you know the story a lot better than I do! However, I'd be very interested to know more about its origins. As for our article, if there are any errors or omissions you'd like to correct, I'd be happy to do so.

Best Regards

Richard Newton
Editor
studentmagazine.com"

Just a matter of confusion...they took Don's Oxford page and scant assumptions from here and *poof!* we have a new absinthe. Cute huh? I have spoken to him sence then, he is willing to change it if Ted wants to e-mail him. Alls well that ends with cake and ice cream.

- J

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 09:04 am: Edit

I have no idea where that came from, but it is certainly a stretch of the imagination, apparently based upon a rumor of the upcoming products. I found it somewhat amusing if not startling. I can assure you that there is no "Breaux Absinthe" being made and exported from the U.S.!

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 08:19 am: Edit

Go get 'em, Ted!

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 08:18 am: Edit

Sorry, it's Andersen Consulting, with 2 'e's that is the parent organization.

By _blackjack_ on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 08:13 am: Edit

They also seem to be under the impression that Schulz is a Swiss product. Way to do the research, kids...

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 08:12 am: Edit

This is a subsidiary of Anderson Advertising in UK:

Adrenaline Media
Ground Floor
Northway House
1379 High Road
Whetstone
London N20 9LP

E-mail: info@adrenalineglobal.com
Tel: 020 8343 7382
Fax: 020 8445 0979

The UK has a little thing called the 'rule of law'. It is not Prague and there won't be any 'Sebor Wars' over our products.

This publication is responsible for its magazine content.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 07:57 am: Edit

It's phony. Wrong name, wrong price. We will jump on it and put a quick end to it.

By Absintheur on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 07:48 am: Edit

Because it's mysterious as hell:

http://www.studentmagazine.com/reviews/reviews_absinthe.html

Breaux Absinthe? $160 US a liter? The 'correct' color? Anyone know what this is about?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation