Absinth Schulz - My Review

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Absinth Schulz - My Review
By _blackjack_ on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 01:14 pm: Edit

The first thing that came to mind (as I had just been stir-frying) was sesame oil.

By Tabreaux on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 11:00 pm: Edit

If I can identify it with a catalogued signature and verify with a standard, probably so.

By Grimbergen on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 10:15 pm: Edit

"As for what that odor is, it seems familiar, but I can't put my finger on it."
It is common in many micro beers.

Will you be able to identify it from your GC results?

Grim

By Tabreaux on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 10:00 pm: Edit

Grim,
As for what that odor is, it seems familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. My first thought that it was an impurity in the alcohol, and that each of these products was made with alcohol from the same source. It's certainly a possibility.

Bob,
Thanks for the heads-up. I went back and corrected the URL, so it should work now.

By Grimbergen on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Ted,

"I suspect it is the result of the use of some
oil or extract, and it has sort of a bitter-buttery type of smell."

This probably isn't it, but could it be diacetyl? That would account for the buttery flavor but not the bitterness. I am not sure how diacetyl would get in the product. If they produced their own ethanol it could be byproduct of the fermentation. Then if their distillation was poorly performed the diacetyl might me not be drawn off. Of course this is EXTREMELY unlikely. I would be very surprised if they produced their own ethanol.

I don't know how else diacetyl would get in the product.

Grim

By Bob_chong on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 09:00 pm: Edit

Not that it matters, but the first url you gave in the last post was for the SF restaurant.

BC

By Tabreaux on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 08:28 pm: Edit

Since no review has been posted for Absinth Schulz, here it goes:

I purchased the bottle from The Absinth Shop (www.absinth.com). Immediately following my online order, they emailed me with a confirmation, and the order was shipped from the Czech Republic within several days. The quality of the packaging was very good, and everything arrived safely about 10 days after the shipping date.

This product is made by Fruko Schulz (www.fruko.cz). It comes in a 700mL bottle and is labeled as being 60% alc/vol. The back label is written entirely in Czech. My Czech is weak, but I can discern that it mentions that absinth has its origins in France, mentions A. absinthium specifically, then talks about something regarding special technology which eliminates something or another, and mentions one of the Czech gov't ministeries. The remaining verbiage consists of drink suggestions, and a list of ingredients which appears to include alcohol, water, sugar, something 'aromaticke', and lists artificial coloring. The coloring is a pale green.

The aroma of the product is the typical Czech fare, but there is one interesting thing I've noticed. Four of six of the Czech absinths I've sampled (King, Schulz, Staropzlensky, Original), with the exception of Hill's and Sebor shares a characteristic odor which is strange to me. I suspect it is the result of the use of some oil or extract, and it has sort of a bitter-buttery type of smell. It smells familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it (aggravating). Nevertheless, it is instantly recognizable in any of these products.

Tasting this product neat reveals a simple construction, and unlike the other Czech products, that certain bitter-buttery smell is also the predominant flavor. There is no anise present, and the overall flavor is a bit industrial. It does not louche.

Following my review of this product, I went back and tasted the other Czech products. I've formed an opinion as to why they differ so greatly from Spanish or other products, and I'll make a post regarding that above.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation