And While You're Placing that Holiday Absinthe Order.......

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:And While You're Placing that Holiday Absinthe Order.......
By Petermarc on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 12:08 am: Edit

shipping absinthe to france? whoohoo!

By Bob_chong on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 12:00 am: Edit

Also, MM has their own online store at that site to buy their absinthe or any of their other products. However, they are currently only shipping to Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy, France, and Belgium. The prices are better than SC, but you'd have to buy 6 bottles at a time (e.g., six bottles of MM absinthe, without shipping costs added, is 11000 pesetas, or about $56 USD).

By Bob_chong on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 11:45 pm: Edit

Mari Mayans makes and herbal liqueur avail. at SC: Hierbas Ibicencas (about $7 for a 7 cl bottle, go here).

Sounds interesting from the MM website--a traditional Ibizan liquer.

By Petermarc on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 01:59 pm: Edit

the advocaat i found in paris is made in poland,(brand name 'polmos')but seems to be the same thing everyone is talking about, with back label in polish which i take to be like a surgeon-general's warning (there are two cute little gold baby chicks on the front label which had escaped destruction for this liquor and vague medals which were won over a hundred years ago when people still had the lingering taste of copper nitrates in their mouths)...i can't believe it is made to be taken straight...i can see, however, a flaming ritual that would work, if it involved the entire drink being destroyed in the process...i am not a great fan of egg-nog, so maybe that could be my problem...i will agree that it must be very fattening and could be given to starving people to nuture and help them forget their misery at the same time...;-)

By Timk on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 01:17 am: Edit

Strange, i stopped drinking snowballs at 15 too - lol i havent tried one in ages - i think i might have to have a go again this christmas.
Tim

By Bigmike on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 12:35 am: Edit

Sorry Melinelly, I've lived in the UK all my life, give or take a few months holiday here and there. As to having a son in California, I'm only 23, I've not even begun to think about starting a family yet.
So you see the BigMike you know isn't me, he must be an imposter.

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 09:36 pm: Edit

Ted, you want me to see if the Bols is available at the Foodland or the Villa Supermarket in Bangkok?

By Melinelly on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 05:18 pm: Edit

bigmike,

you haven't happened to have lived in wallingford and have a son living in northern california?

'twould be quite a coincidence if you are the same "big mike" i know lol

By Bigmike on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 04:25 pm: Edit

Ted my friend, would you like us Brits to look after your ex-colony for you until your lawyers can decide who's president?
I used to drink Snowballs at Christmas when I was 15. I've not drunk it in ages though.

By Tabreaux on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Until England reclaims this territory, I don't live in the UK. Likewise, I am afraid to go to the UK for fear of being bludgeoned by angry Hill's drinking hooligans, wielding black puddings. Until then, it's probably good that I can't get Bols Advocaat here, as that bottle calls my name, and it wants to make me fat!

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Ted,

If you lived in the UK you could buy Bols Advocaat at virtually any decent off-licence (liquor store) or large supermarket, its been around here for decades, (the UK distributor is a firm based in I think either Portsmouth or Southampton). Sainsbury supermarket chain sell it for 9.99 a bottle. I've never tried it myself but then I don't like "eggy" drinks.

Hobgoblin

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 02:58 am: Edit

I used to encounter Bols Advocaat in the USA but bear in mind I am talking 20-25 years ago. Never tried it.

I was more into Akvavit Aalborg if we are talking alcohol with two a's in the name. Throw this in the freezer for a week and let it get syrupy, then drink it as shooters, it'll make you want to board a longship and go rape and pillage and burn.

Maybe it's just my Cambro-Norman blood. Frenchified Vikings.

By Perruche_verte on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Becherovka is nice. You might look for it locally first -- I found it at a local liquor superstore (which also carries La Muse Verte) for $19 per 750 ml bottle.

The label advises one to "drink ice cold" but I should think it would make a nice warming drink with coffee; it has a very pleasant cinnamon flavor, good for a winter drink. OK, this is hard to believe, I know, but I think I can taste wormwood in it. Impossible perhaps, but there you go... maybe it's some other thujone-bearing herb? After a few glasses, I notice that it does have at least one aspect of the "effect" I have noticed in absinthe: it has an elevating quality that keeps you from noticing you're drunk, at first. Perhaps it's just the cinnamon.

By Tabreaux on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 05:38 pm: Edit

My bottle is identical except that instead of saying, "Schenk Advocaat" at the top of the label, it simply says, "Imported".

I couldn't imagine the consistency being any thicker.

By Melinelly on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 04:35 pm: Edit

does the bottle you have look like this:
advocaat
if so, then it's probably the export stuff. i'd think that the domestic product would be thick enough to almost be unpourable.

By Melinelly on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 04:15 pm: Edit

hrm... could be. i'll have to get some next time i order from SC and compare to the stuff we carry.

BC, thanks for the etymology =) considering i'm a descendent of aztec blood (my gr gr grandpappy was full blooded), i shoulda known that one =/

By Tabreaux on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 09:27 am: Edit

"Both you can only get in the export style. Back in the Netherlands if you order advocaat, you will get something entirely different: extremely thick almost custardlike "liquer" that you eat with a spoon!"

Well then, the advocaat I am getting from Spirits Corner must not be the 'export' version, as it is almost like sweetened condensed milk, but with a kick. If the stuff here in the U.S. is different, that would be disappointing.

By Timk on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 09:18 am: Edit

Advocaat and clear lemonade is nice, called a snowball if i remember rightly (warniks is a very good brand)

By Tavis on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 09:17 am: Edit

Hi, I'm new around here (just waiting for my first order from SpiritsCorner), just a short note about advocaat. It used to be pretty popular over here in the UK, mainly for the ladies, mixed as a Snowball, which is advocaat, lime and lemonade. There were even pre-mixed bottles of the stuff.

Cheers,
Tavis

By Bob_chong on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 08:09 am: Edit

Mel:

Unfortunately, we don't tend to name fruit after booze. ;-)

Avocado is derived from the Nahuatyl (i.e., Aztec) word ahuacatl, which means avocado and, oddly enough, testicle.

Fun with etymology!

BC

By Tabreaux on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 06:27 am: Edit

I keep it in the fridge, and it is pretty darn yummy. I haven't seen it here myself, I'll have to special order it.

By Melinelly on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 05:10 am: Edit

mmmmmmm.... advocaat =)

yummy stuff. we've got two brands at my store: Advocaat Bols and Verpoorten Advocaat. Both are very good, although the Verpoorten seems to use fewer yolks and looks to be better blended (Bols you can sometimes see little globules floating... yummmmmmm... globules =)). Both you can only get in the export style. Back in the Netherlands if you order advocaat, you will get something entirely different: extremely thick almost custardlike "liquer" that you eat with a spoon!

advocaat is an egg liquer lightly flavored with sugar and herbs, tasting of cinammon and/or vanilla. i wonder if this liquer isn't the origin of the word avocado (the creamy texture and flavor of the fruit may be similar to dutch domestic advocaat).

note: if the bottle has been kept in sunlight you may need to throw out the first glass... sometimes the eggs in the neck of the bottle can somewhat cook or spoil, either shake well or discard the first pouring. keep refrigerated for best flavor.

By Bob_chong on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 04:28 am: Edit

Add to the spiritscorner list some port, esp. the high end stuff. The prices on the good stuff (even with shipping) blow away anything here, even the discount places. Amazing stuff. You could save $100/bottle on some, possibly more.

BC

By Tabreaux on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 10:58 pm: Edit

If you need a 'box stuffer' or two when placing that absinthe order, here a few interesting items to consider which are probably difficult to impossible to come by in the US:

Czech - Bohemia-Drinks (www.bohemia-drinks.com)

- The Czech bitter liqueurs are <$20, and I suggest the Becherovka. After all, if only two people know how to make it, they've got Chartreuse beaten for secrecy. It's pretty good stuff.

- Czech Champagne can be had for <$10 per bottle.

- Czech wine can be had for <$5 per bottle.

- The Absinth Shop (www.absinth.com) now offers chocolates filled with Staropzlensky. What strange confections those must be.

Spirits Corner (www.spiritscorner.com) has a variety of neat items, including:

- Kirsch - Cherry brandy. Although I am not fond of cherries, the Montgat brand is inexpensive, and is not too sweet, not too dry. Very likeable. I only bought a miniature ($1).

- Ginseng Liquor - Hey, it's only $10.

- Licor de Bellotas - Ever had acorn liquor? $7

- Pisco Control - A very good brand of Pisco (like Marc) from Chile. I drank a bit of it down there. $10

- Higo Tunel - Fig Liquor $8

- Marc de Champagne Moet - From Moet et Chandon, this is the popular French white brandy, which the French call "Marc". Comes in a very nice champagne bottle. 40% alc. A very nice gift, and I haven't seen it in the U.S. - $20

- Cuban Rum - <$15 and good. Need I say more?

- And you *MUST* get a few miniatures when you order. Peruse the 'miniatures' section and see what you can get for $1-$3. They package them so they don't take up any extra space, so treat yourself to something different, like Pisco Control, Suze, Kirsch, or either of the obscure cognac or armagnacs.

- And finally, my favorite 'discovery', Advocaat Bols ($8). I didn't know what this was, but I heard Jack Nicholson mention it in the movie, "The Shining" (he had it spilled on him in one of the bar scenes). This is a brandy of sorts which appears to be saturated with egg yolks. Move over nasty ol' eggnog, this stuff rules. Obviously, it has to be very fattening, so I just take one little sip every now and then. There is another brand "Warninks", which is supposed to be good. I wouldn't know, as I haven't seen either around here in the U.S.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation