Making sense out of absinthe

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Making sense out of absinthe
By SeaRobin on Sunday, June 11, 2000 - 09:27 pm: Edit

I couldn't agree more with you about Deva and Mari Mayans. For the price, I don't think you can beat them. I ordered the Sebor before I had done a lot of reading about Absinthe (and I'm still waiting for that order to come in....it should be any day now). However, I am also waiting on a second order of Deva, Mari Mayans and Herring. Personally, I'm in a period where I am just trying to taste as many brands as I can within reason. In other words, I'm going through my education stage.

By mike on Sunday, June 11, 2000 - 02:57 pm: Edit

the first absinthe i tried was Sebor's in thier collector edition bottle. to be honest i really didn't care for it. it didn't louche well at all and the taste was strong anise with an syrupe consistency. If you want to try a good brand, i'm sure a lot of people here would point you towards Deva or Mari Mayans.

By LanMan on Thursday, June 08, 2000 - 03:18 pm: Edit

You can order by credit card from the UK site. I had a bottle shipped to California with no problems.

http://www.seborabsinth.com/

By SeaRobin on Thursday, June 08, 2000 - 01:38 pm: Edit

I believe the "real" Sebor is sold by Kyle out of the Czeck Republic. He is listed in the buyers guide on this website and runs his own website at:

http://www.sebor-absinth.com/

I placed an order with him some time ago and I am expecting it any day now. I have not tried Sebor yet either but I am looking forward to giving it a try.

SeaRobin

By drunkinboat on Thursday, June 08, 2000 - 12:01 pm: Edit

Well, now after reading these posts I really have to ask myself what is "real" absinthe and what is fake. So far the consensus is that Hill's is good for little less that starting a fire.

I've tried Staroplzensky, which I loved, after getting used to that rubbing alcohol smell.

I'm thinking about getting some Sebor, but I'm a bit cautious about getting the "real" one and not the local version - is there a way to tell by looking at the label? And does anyone recommend a better type? I'm not much on the anise taste.

Thanks!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation