Archive through November 20, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Better Than Citizen Kane:Archive through November 20, 2000
By Chrysippvs on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 08:19 am: Edit

Let me know the cost of the video...con't want to pay 60 bucks like some schmucks did for NIN's Broken "snuff" video. Good luck in finding it, the only version known to be out is a leaked 2nd gen. The one I saw was in okay shape.

Good luck and let me know what you come up with!

- J

By The_nephilim on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 08:12 am: Edit

Fact is I have a very good friend who is an
E.D./A.O.D. fanatic. He's never mentioned this,
so he may not know about it. T'would make
the perfect gift. So, I'll be looking for it anyway.
Do I buy 1 or 2 copies is the only question left
outstanding.

By The_nephilim on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 08:10 am: Edit

Justin,

I could check around here in NYC for Within
the Woods if you're so inclined. Plenty of
"esoteric" video stores around, and I'm not
talking about 42nd street (which is now owned
by Disney, go figure!)

I've got a few places to look. Let me know.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, November 19, 2000 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Artemis,

You have a copy of within the woods? A friend of mine has it and moved off to CA...if so let me know would gladly pay for a copy..

J

By Treeman5 on Sunday, November 19, 2000 - 08:57 pm: Edit

I won't try a bite til you try it first, Sally!

By Treeman5 on Sunday, November 19, 2000 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Nothing is more suspicious than Frog's Breath!!

By Eleusis on Sunday, November 19, 2000 - 11:13 am: Edit

Some more useless movie info:
In Tim Burton's "Nightmare before Christmas" there's a scene with the mad scientist in a wheelchair and his girl. She makes him some soup containing 'deadly nightshde with a touch of frog's breath and... Wormwood.

eleusis

By Artemis on Sunday, November 19, 2000 - 08:23 am: Edit

"Is that the one where everyone disappears in the world except for two girls and one guy- scene where they are trying to cross the street and he almost runs em over?"

That's the very scene that moved me to post about the movie. The Hispanic guy and the older girl reprimand the younger girl for walking into the street against the light. She reminds them they are the only people on the planet. They reply that without rules, there would be chaos. Just then a car comes screaming around the corner and almost runs her over. The Hispanic guy then deadpans:
"See what happens?"

I have seen Shakes the Clown and it also makes my list. It's set in a town where the clowns cruise around looking for mimes to beat the crap out of. The woman who played Aunt Esther on "Sanford and Son" is an alcoholic washed up clown, sitting in a clown bar, watching TV in a drunken stupor. On the TV is a kiddie show with a clown making a little dog do tricks. The old clown lady pronounces:
"As soon as they turn off that camera, he gonna f**k that little dog!"
Bobcat Golthwaite (sp?) is at his screechy finest in the role of Shakes.

Justin is right, "Within the Woods" is wonderful. The whole "Evil Dead" series is great.

"True Romance" is an excellent movie. The scene where Christian Slater faces down the killer pimp is by itself worth watching the movie for.

For his first two or three albums, Jimmy Buffet was fresh and new, sort of country music for thinking people was the way I looked at it. His band was well-drilled and they were magnificent in live performance. But he shot his wad at least 20 years ago and should have retired about then.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Another better movie based on the same scenario as NIGHT OF THE COMET is THE QUIET EARTH...

THE MIRACLE MILE is also a good, fun apocalyptic tale.

K.

By Pataphysician on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 09:40 am: Edit

Never seen it, but SHAKES THE CLOWN was billed as "The Citizen Kane of drunken clown movies."

By Bob_chong on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 09:16 am: Edit

Jimmy Buffet has been a sad parody since conception.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, November 15, 2000 - 10:59 pm: Edit

Midas,

It was the "pilot" to make the money for the series, runs around 30 min and features a possessed Ash killing amuck. Has a very similar plot to the series, college kids in the woods, old cabin, but in this Ash messes with an indian burial mound and is possessed and starts killing his friends. Really cheesy, but a great flick. I am keeping my eyes on e-bay for a copy to no avail. If I get a copy I will upload it a FTP server in MPG for download...

- J

By Midas on Wednesday, November 15, 2000 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Chrysippvs, I haven't seen it, but I'd love to! The Evil Dead series is hysterical. Has anyone else here seen 'Killer Klowns from Outer Space'? Anything involving corpses wrapped in Fairy Floss has to be worth watching.

By Greenhour on Wednesday, November 15, 2000 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Really,
my suggestion to the list would be, True Romance,
Director Tony Scott, as quite an enjoyable ride
under the green influence. There maybe some who
protest it's violence but I think its a great
adventure. A lot of fun.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, November 15, 2000 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Has anyone seen the precursor to "Evil Dead" called "Within the Woods." It is really great, for those fans of the series. If anyone has a copy let me know, I have only seen it once from a CD of a friend of mine.

- Justin

By Black_rabbit on Wednesday, November 15, 2000 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Is that the one where everyone disappears in the world except for two girls and one guy- scene where they are trying to cross the street and he almost runs em over?

By Artemis on Wednesday, November 15, 2000 - 03:38 pm: Edit

Make that "Night of the Comet". Sorry about the erroneous multiplication of astral bodies. It features that Hispanic guy and that tall woman from "Eating Raoul", "Scenes From the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills", etc. Do I have to add that these movies are also better than "Citizen Kane" and these actors whose names I do not remember are better actors than Orson Welles? I hope not.

By Artemis on Wednesday, November 15, 2000 - 03:33 pm: Edit

In the tradition of Icon Pissing I upheld in a different thread, and to maintain the shameless arrogance I've worked very hard to maintain in this forum, I hereby submit another movie that's better than Citizen Kane: "Night of the Comets". I know, because I just saw it on TV under the influence of absinthe. I remember it sans said influence, and there was no difference. Under the lens of this scientific scrutiny, I have no qualms in pronouncing it so much better than that tired-ass citizen, that Orson Welles would grovel under its closing credits if he had a shred of honesty in his bones.

Some other good movies:

Ponette (French)
Repo Man (not French)
Rancho Deluxe (score by Jimmy Buffet before he became a sad parody of himself)
Grey Gardens (study in the decay of Kennedy in-laws)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation