Archive through November 19, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Oxygenee Reviewed -Chrysippvs-:Archive through November 19, 2000
By Tabreaux on Sunday, November 19, 2000 - 03:00 pm: Edit

I am testing every product imaginable, and it is taking some time. The results will be revealing, and well worth the wait.

By Grimbergen on Sunday, November 19, 2000 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Good work Justin! This is so intriguing.

Ted, Have you gotten your hands on a bottle yet? Will this be in your test results that you keep teasing us with? It really is unconscionable how you make us wait for the results ;)

Grim

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, November 19, 2000 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Probably not...I am however lookng into obtaining another type of absinthe...one that only a handful or people in the US have tried..much rarer than la bleue...

- J

By _blackjack_ on Saturday, November 18, 2000 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Any chance you'll get some more of this to sell?

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, November 18, 2000 - 10:57 am: Edit

For some time I have been researching the presence of a new absinthe in France, first mentioned to me by a contact there, Oxygenee got my attention off the bat. After some searches on the net I found a site that sold it and decided to obtain some. After weeks of bank transfers, shipping instruction, working though babelfish, and a host of problems I finally received three bottles of this new mysterious absinthe.

Bottle Appearance: Very nice, Vintage like label. 70c; and 55% label reads "AUX EXTRAITS DE PLANTES D' ABSINTHE -OXYGENEE- CUSENIER" To the left if discusses how absinthe was banned due to toxic levels of thujone, and how this absinthe have "strictement controlee la thuyone." To the right are preparation instructions, sugar and spoon etc....The back label is just a UPC stamp.

The bottles makes use of a screw cork which is much nicer than the rather cheap/trite screw top. In the bottle it is very similar to the vintage bottle for Oxy and Oxygenee. The color is very nice, although I think it is artificial (no oxidation yet it is kept in a clear bottle) A very pleasant green, more peridot than emerald, vibrant yet subtle. Despite its artificial nature, it is very similar the vintage absinthes and much more pleasant than the radioactive Mari Mayans and similar eerie Lovecraftian necromantic fluids.

In the nose it smells or both anise and star anise. As everyone knows I am not a big fan or star anise, but this absinthe is a good example of it used in correct amounts. Very similar to la fee, yet seems less generic in flavor...more herbal I feel. I am not sure if I can detect absinthium, but there is a certain bitterness to it although I cannot place it. It louche is very nice, from the subtle white to a greenish white. Much like Deva, although less green in the louche, and not quite so dramatic (due to the absence of so much badaine).

Well, as far as secondary affects (despite my aversion to relying on this to measure and absinthe) go I must say they are quite present. After two glasses of this absinthe (glass is the pontarlier glass from Peter, which does have a big dose) I was feeling not unlike I do after around 3-4 glasses of la bleue. At only 55% it amazed me. Very pleasant secondary affects, stronger than Deva and equal to la bleue atleast, better than some la bleues.

Now to the how is it made and sold in France? I can't answer this, I have no idea. Perhaps the people that sell it don't know they can't...or something. The French laws concerning absinthe are literally inter-contradictory, I would imagine getting around them can't be too hard...perhaps this is made only for export like la fee? It is hard to say. Is it absinthe and does it contain Absinthium? I feel that it does....possible a competitor to la fee? In my opinion I like it better than la fee, the color is nicer and the fact that it is less based on a gimmick is appealing.

Overall an absinthe better than the Spanish, equal to a more complex la bleue...not as good as vintage..Same old story I know.

- Justin S.
BEI
bottle
label
color

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation