This sounds too good to be true...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:This sounds too good to be true...
By Chrysippvs on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 11:48 am: Edit

Must have found them in a cache...honestly I bet they were buried bottles...

By Oxygenee on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 11:46 am: Edit

The seller apparently has two other bottles, but both are in even worse condition, also without the main label and at best 50% full.

By Chrysippvs on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 11:32 am: Edit

It seems odd to me, and from what I have heard this isn't his last bottle to sell....From what I have gathered he has atleast 1 more if not two..

By Petermarc on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 03:34 am: Edit

bienvenue pandorra...

By Oxygenee on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 02:55 am: Edit

The apparent purchaser of this is indeed French - a collector unknown to me, with no eBay feedback.This buyer appears to have registered for the first time shortly before bidding. The price was not based on competitive bids, but on the sellers astonishingly high reserve price. Although every non French collector, and many French collectors were aware of the lot, none of them bid higher than $850. Its really quite extraordinary that anyone, but especially a French buyer, would apparently pay what is, conservatively, at least twice the going rate for this kind of bottle.

To put it in perspective, I collect old cognac and old Madeira in a small way, and for essentially the same money you could have bought on auction in France, EIGHT bottles of 1858 cognac with perfect lables and excellent levels or better still one bottle of 1802 cognac, bottled for Napoleons court, also in perfect condition, or even better still, on auction in the UK, a bottle of Madeira from the year of the French Revolution, 1789 (its not really relevant here, but we drank an 1808 Malmsey last New Year: the taste went beyond merely sublime into the realms of religious experience....)

By Frenchman on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Yes Justin, i think too that it is unreasonable.
It is the first time i see a bottle in bad condition for this price.
Unbelievable !

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Well there she ends...at 2500 for this bottle..Ian hit it on the head...

I think a French Collector won the bottle, although I am not sure. Is it worth that much..not to me personally but the history in that bottle could speak tomes. Perhaps if I were more the mystic it I care more..but to me it is (dirty)glass, a bit of label, and absinthe...although I have to admit there is something romantic to it all...honestly 2500 USD is a bit too much for romance.

Also I think of this...In a little over a month all those no lucky enough to have tasted absinthe will have the chance for the first time in 85 years. Vive La Fee Verte!

- J

By Pikkle on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 10:44 am: Edit

Try getting a cable modem... you'll never get
sniped on a bid again!

By Grimbergen on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 03:51 pm: Edit

try opening the page with Explorer, that's how I got it to load.

Grim

By Absinthesque on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 12:55 pm: Edit

I can't get the description or bidding field to load either, but I'm quite curious.

Mark

By Pikkle on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 05:48 am: Edit

I'd bid on it more but I know I'd end up drinking
the whole thing in a weekend and not caring a
bit about the price so I'll let the better half of my
judgement prevail at this point... or until I have
a few more glasses of Segarra... Just
remember Justin, I'm in the market for one if
you ever have a spare!

By Timk on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 01:33 am: Edit

Sorry that should read $10500 profit - ten thousand five hundred! lol

By Timk on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 01:30 am: Edit

Doing some simple mathematics, lol, at $3500, for a full bottle, you pay $3.50 for a millilitre. If you sell each mililitre at $14 which would mean someone could buy 7ml for $98, you can sell the whole contents of the bottle for $14000 and make a $1050 profit - or alternatively sell half a litre, make 3500 profit and have half a liter to drink. Would anyone actually buy vintage pernod at $14 a mililiter though - i know i would lol.

Just a thaught

Tim

Oh Btw justin did you ever take the plunge and open that dornier tuller bottle you had or did you sell it to someone - id just be interested in hearing what the contents were lige after being in a fire : - )

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 11:05 pm: Edit

I am saying..don't be suprised if I don't offer a bid or two at this point :)

By Pikkle on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 07:27 pm: Edit

so you are saying it may be worth it to bid on
this recent ebay auction, if one were so
inclined...

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 06:29 pm: Edit

When they do come up for sale and I have them members of this board are the first to know.

But bear in mind that these bottles are 1 in a million. Full, or even bottles with any content are incredibly rare. Put it this way...I have one bottle of Pernod...and it is a mignonette half-full. If they were to have, then I would have more :)

Justin

By Pikkle on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 05:58 pm: Edit

okay... perhaps you could act as a middle
man... ?

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 04:58 pm: Edit

yeah that wasn't Phil...just to make that clear..

and as far as sources for my bottles I can't give that away, bear in mind absinthe is just as illegal as cocaine in France and giving that name out may spell trouble and risk my contact...which was difficult to obtain..

- J

By Pikkle on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 04:17 pm: Edit

"4. There are avenues for getting bottles of
absinthe with labels for 3 times less than
what is usually paid on the non-french
market..... "

Perhaps you could share this info with some
of us lest we unwittingly bid on such an
outrageous offer.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 03:59 pm: Edit

justin,
maybe you should have used lower case when writing
'the frenchman" so he wouldn't be confused with our friend phil (but then again, i use lower case all the time...)

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 10:38 am: Edit

The high bidder right now is a forumite and serious player. He's paid $600 for a spoon in the past. Holy shit.

BC

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 08:50 am: Edit

I would not pay over 1100 for the bottle...it looks like it has been in a latrene for the past 100 years.

Why didn't I buy it..

1. just look at it
2. Already have some Pernod Fils
3. the Frenchman struck me as being....mmmm wily is all I can think of..when I spoke to him I imagined him making some more robots to take out MegaMan
4. There are avenues for getting bottles of absinthe with labels for 3 times less than what is usually paid on the non-french market.....

- J

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 08:01 am: Edit

Anyone care to open up a book on how far this goes? How about a reserve of $1000 and a high bid of $2500? One of the big bottle collectors hasn't even opened yet.

By Pikkle on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 07:43 am: Edit

Why didn't you buy the bottle??? What was the
price? C'mon, give up the sordid details...

By Midas on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 07:32 am: Edit

Also, I just noticed that the highest bidder (as of the present moment) on the Pernod Fils is the same person with the highest bid on your Emile Pernot pastis. Hey big spender!
-Robert.

By Midas on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 07:23 am: Edit

Justin, that's what I was thinking. It's out of my price range (very very much so), but I'm keen to see just how much it does go for. I'm expecting a couple of thousand. Mind you, I picked up an 1850 copy of De Quinceys "Confessions of an English Opium Eater a few months ago for US$25, so anything's possible. Makes you want to search old french peoples basements, doesn't it...
-Robert.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 07:13 am: Edit

I was offered this bottle a few months ago out of the blue by a wily Frenchman. From wht looks of the condition it appears to varify an old wise tell that after the ban many people buried their bottles in their basements (sometimes in large caches) and forgot they were there. Perhaps this is one of those bottles, in which case the contents would still be good.

BYW I put up a nice Pernot Emile Pastis bottle from the 20's or 30's.

Expect the bidding to soar over 1000 USD...I have seen labeled bottles go for around 3500...

- Justin S.

By Pikkle on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 06:17 am: Edit

It's more than $300 too... heh, heh...

By Pikkle on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 06:13 am: Edit

I got it to work... in fact, I just bid on it... I went
up to $250 US which is probably stupid
because I have no idea who this person is or
what really may be in that bottle... but I'm an
impulse person. BTW $250 didn't meet the
reserve so good luck to whomever is that
interested.

By Tavis on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 06:10 am: Edit

I couldn't get the description to load either, seems to be happening a lot lately....

The reserve hasn't been met yet, I wonder how high it is....

By Midas on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 06:07 am: Edit

Has anyone noticed this?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=519850806
The description wouldn't load for some reason, and neither would the bidding field. I'm going to try again now.
-Robert.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation