Head count on who is attending ( or planning too) New Orleans party

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Head count on who is attending ( or planning too) New Orleans party
By Don_walsh on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 01:06 am: Edit

SOS, 'shit on a shingle', is US military slang for chipped (or creamed) beef on toast, a military breakfast staple. It's just an open faced sandwich, although Mother's presumably serves something better than GI beef.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 01:03 am: Edit

I never went for the 'debris' at Mother's, I liked their veal cutlet po-boys, and their roast beef and barbecue beef, although they also did a great turkey and ham po boy as I recall.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 01:01 am: Edit

Well, that explains why I don't remember the Clover Grill. I was never a habitue of Bourbon Street on the 'wrong' end. As far as I got was Lucky Pierre's and Fritzel's ('new' location as of about 15 years ago) and the Voodoo Museum, where an old girlfriend from Brazil used to work...with her pet boa constrictor. That was the end of the 700 block. From there on was and is, a different world.

By Treeman5 on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 12:39 pm: Edit

So now that a date has been set, March 3 thanks Ted, who's going?? I look forward to seeing some of you there..I'm sure this will turn out to be a really good time for everyone..Vive La Fee Verte..See you there..

By Bluedog1 on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 11:14 am: Edit

Mother's is known for "debris" -- either in biscuits or po boys. Their SOS is second to a dressed and wet debris po boy. Jerry Amato also makes a great shrimp and andouille jambalaya, although I can't break away from the debris leavin's.

Clover, yep, right across from the Cafe LaFitte in Exile and in the mostly gay part of Bourbon. But I've been staying at the Bon Maison for so long that it seems like home. Even the cooks at the Clover know me.

Casimento's is getting a bit overpopulated with tourists (You'd think it was NOLA, Emeril's, or Delmonico's). I'd suggest Kelsey's on Magazine for a good new and not really well-known restaurant.

By Bob_chong on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 09:04 am: Edit

Mother's was featured on Monday Night Football about ten years ago. You can imagine the rest of the story. They made a good "shit on a shingle" if I recall correctly.

The Clover is on Bourbon; to me, it signaled where one turns around or onto another street, as the lower part of Bourbon appeals not to me nor most other breeders--i.e., the Clover touts itself as the "Famous Gay New Orleans Grill". I didn't know burgers were straight or gay.

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 08:39 am: Edit

Sorry, typo. I left in '82 not '92. By '92 I'd been out of US for 3 years.

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 08:37 am: Edit

I left Nawlins in 92 but Mother's was always a local place, catering to lunch and phone orders for offices and businesses all over town. The only 'tourists' in there were USMC passing through town because the family that owns/owned the place had sent their sons to the Corps for three generations.

If it is now a tourist spot I am saddened.

I don't recall the Clover, where is it?

Casimento's on Magazine can't be bested for seafood (and I was just there last April).

By Bob_chong on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 07:40 am: Edit

Your last sentence was the truest. (All the places you mentioned are tourist spots.)

I lived in N.O. for five years. I wouldn't set foot in the Clover.

By Bluedog1 on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 03:41 am: Edit

Sure there are lots of places to eat shrimp and oysters, and a heap of fancy eating establishments (my last bill at Antoine's was $1700 for four) but there is a difference between eating a meal and enjoying a meal, and that's the culture of New Orleans. If you've never been to the Clover, or Johnny's Po-boys for a pork chop po-boy, or Mother's for eggs and debris biscuits, you'll neer know what simple good eats are. Ya has ta eat breakfast and it can't always be at Brennan's or Commander's. You'd go broke and the eggs Sardou would give you a heart attack. And, in my opinion, you'd miss equal or better quality food from some smaller places.

Suffice it to say that the Clover is well known by the locals and always on the local favorites list. Why? Burgers and waffles. (And the floor show) At 4 a.m. what else and where else ya gonna eat?

Locals also know the hole-in-the-wall places that the tourist books just don't list, and lots of those small places have better daily grub than many of the big names.

By Treeman5 on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Hey Guys-

Any way we could book this as our own convention? Maybe find someplace to book a whole floor or something? First Annual Absinthe Tasters Of America Convention 2001. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

By Bob_chong on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Waffles and burgers in NO? Why bother? It would be wasting a meal.

By Bluedog1 on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 10:55 am: Edit

Also right around the corner from the Biscuit Palace on Bourbon is the Bon Maison Guesthouse (www.bonmaison.com) which is on an equal footing with the BP for comfort, rate, and location. We've stayed there for over 10 years now.

And, you are right near the Clover Grill (best burgers and best waffles in NOLA) for latenight munchies.

By Admin on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 08:15 am: Edit

Oh, absolutely! One does have to give oneself headway. Last minute reservations in the spring would definately leave you in the lurch. But I always plan ahead, and 2-3 month head start should be sufficient to give everyone a good crack at lodging.

Conventions are an issue. They do not tend to be held (as much) in the Spring due to the tourist season and that summer rates are far more attractive to corporate sponsors.

By Thegreenimp on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 07:33 am: Edit

Artemis has a point about lodging, while I don't live in N.O., the company I work for does trade show exhibits and conventions, and we have had a number of them in N.O. recently. A number of cities are chasing this type of business, and can make it tight for lodging.

By Artemis on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 02:55 am: Edit

"Never had a problem with lodging ... as long as its not mardi gras or jazz fest, shouldn't be too much of an issue."

Sorry, that's not been my experience. Last April, when I wanted to travel to New Orleans for a wedding and a meeting with some forum members, there were NO I repeat NO rooms whatsoever to be had, not even at the airport, which is too far from the city anyway. The Jazz Festival wasn't even going on that weekend, in fact, I could find no reason other than a cardiologist's convention. My brother called EVERY hotel in the yellow pages and could come up with only partial days, i.e., Friday but not Saturday. We contacted a service that specializes in obtaining hotel rooms in various cities during sold-out situations, and even they couldn't get us anything. The only point I'm making is you cannot take it for granted that you can get a hotel room in New Orleans, regardless of the date, so it behooves us to plan WELL in advance.

By Pikkle on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 06:49 pm: Edit

I'll go there too...

By Relrella on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 01:48 pm: Edit

that would be great if someone could post absinthe gathering happening in San Francisco, I would love to know if any are happening especially before the 18th, or if someone knows a person with connections...

By Pikkle on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 10:43 am: Edit

I'll go...

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 10:17 am: Edit

I agree with Madam Kallisti..I abhor Mardi Gras. Two weeks after would be nice, maybe we could catch a nice warming off the gulf...as Feb is usually rather cold. As for lodging when I stay in the Big Easy there is a great B and B on magazine street and another on Prytania in the Lower Garden District. www.Prytaniainns.com

Great low rates (no tv, just a bed and breakfast literally). Very quaint, nice people. The one on magazine was once an orphanage back during the typhus breakout, legend has it that one wing was devoted to sick and dying children....scary scary!

By Admin on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 09:43 am: Edit

I've always planned my trips to nola for just after or before mardi gras, as March is the most beautiful month there. Never had a problem with lodging ... as long as its not mardi gras or jazz fest, shouldn't be too much of an issue. New Orleans has an inordinate amount of hotel space, much of it lovely and reasonable. My favorite being The Biscuit Palace (which I like to call "le Palais de Biscweee"), right in the heart of the Quarter.

Mardi Gras is Feb 27th. I suggested the week directly after or two weeks prior (even tho its still chilly then) because that's when I'll be there! But this isn't about me ... it is in Ted's court now.

By Bluedog1 on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 09:03 am: Edit

The week between Jazz Fest weekends?

By Absinthesque on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 12:29 pm: Edit

I would certainly be interested in joining the festivities, if my schedule permits it.

By Artemis on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 02:08 am: Edit

"I will post the details on the informal New Orleans gathering shortly."

NOT at Mardi Gras, please!! As Don has pointed out, obtaining lodging in NO at Mardi Gras on short notice is impossible. It's impossible at other times too - I would have met with you and Don in April down there, but couldn't find a room anywhere closer than Boutte, which as you know is on the west side of the river and a hell of a long way from town.

By Black_rabbit on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 07:20 pm: Edit

Hey Treeman, actually it is from Squee (spinoff of JTHM.) One of my favorite books :-)

By Pikkle on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 04:37 pm: Edit

okay, i will favor the term 'aloof' I suppose... not
that same, perhaps even obtuse... Sounds
like you got a good marketing slogan brewing
up there as well...

By Melinelly on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 04:19 pm: Edit

awesome. thanks Ted.

and Morrigan, that was me, thanks I'd appreciate the post or email me (listed in profile).

By Don_walsh on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Hey Pikkle

Careful how you throw around the tern 'Jaded'. It will acquire a whole new meaning shortly. :)

By Tabreaux on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 11:32 am: Edit

I will post the details on the informal New Orleans gathering shortly.

By Treeman5 on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 09:59 am: Edit

Black Rabbit-

Hey is your pic from "Johnny The Homicidal Maniac" comic book? Looks so familiar..

everyone else-
It seems we have a few heads in here, now all we need is the party..Anyone heard from Ted about when this is going down? Definately? I need to book a hotel and airline tickets soon.

By Pikkle on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 06:32 am: Edit

yeah, i wish they were that easy... they're not
even stupid enough to be that jaded... I need
new friends and I need them fast!

By Black_rabbit on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 06:22 am: Edit

' No, seriously. I think in another fifteen glasses or so I could really appreciate this stuff. Keep pouring, Pikkle.'

By Pikkle on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 05:57 am: Edit

Are there any absinthe soirees in the Detroit
area? I'm tired of drinking alone... and most of
my friends just can't seem to get the hang of
it... and it's getting too expensive for me trying
to get them into the groove!!!

By Morriganlefey on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 10:37 pm: Edit

As much as I'd like to go to Bangkok, it's just impossible. New Orleans, however...*impish grin* Depending on when, count me in.

- Morrigan

(P.S. to the forum poster who mentioned SF Bay-area absinthe soirees - I've been known to have/attend some. I'll post a note the next time one is planned).

By Thegreenimp on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 07:33 pm: Edit

New Orleans would be fun, I would come over for it.

By Eric on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 06:03 pm: Edit

I could probably make it to N O.

By Pikkle on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 05:57 pm: Edit

I'll go to New Orleans... when????

By Bluedog1 on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 05:53 pm: Edit

i could do New Orleans.

By Melinelly on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 05:33 pm: Edit

my wife has a couple weeks of vacation time and i think i have a few days if not a week, so just say when and we should be able to add two to the headcount for NO.

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 02:18 pm: Edit

By Treeman5 on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 12:02 pm: Edit

I know that a date, as of yet, has not been established for Don and Ted's suarez in Bangkok and New Orleans. But I was curious as to who would,or thought they might, be attending..Bangkok is a far cry for me but NO, seems more plausible, as it does to a few other people here in the forum. With vacation time in hand, I'm looking forward to meeting some of you hopefully very soon.So a head count please..

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation