Giving Absenta Tunel Another Chance

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Giving Absenta Tunel Another Chance
By Grimbergen on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 08:04 pm: Edit

of course I am just speculating, I have not tried Tunel and have no evidence that it is anything other than what you said.

By Grimbergen on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 08:02 pm: Edit

cold kills your taste perception. That is why people in the US drink Bud ice cold, so you can't taste it. I beleive this is probably the source of the "smooth and mild."

By Bluedog1 on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 07:38 pm: Edit

Following from Ted's review and my overall panning of the product, I decided to go back an experiment with this bottle.

I have the same Tunel as the one Ted bought and also from Betina, so I figured our reviews shouldn't diverge that widely, but I've always said your personal favorite absinthe is the one you like, not necessarily the "best" or most complex.

The Tunel is a bright green, brighter than Deva, but a bit darker than the Mari Mayans. Certainly much brighter than La Fee.

Based on the directions on the bottle, I decided to get it as cold as humanly possible, so I chilled and iced the water prior to mixing. I used one sugar cube and two fingers of Tunel.

Upon adding the water, there was some very faint discoloration, similar to mixing oil and water, but not a true louche. Upon sipping, I think the colder water did the trick. The taste was not so tongue-numbing as Mari, and while there was a good taste of anise, it was not overpowering. My palete is not as educated as others in this group, so I can't tell you that I tasted more AA than other brands (something I hope to improve with the right coaching), but the overall taste was smooth and mild. A can only attribute the difference from my first review being the much colder water.

The physical effects seemed similar to Mari Mayans.

Overall, I will have to say that my second experiment with Tunel was positive. It is still not my favorite, but a good "everyday" drink. Worth tasting and comparing. But I do recommend using the coldest water possible.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation