My first taste of absinthe

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:My first taste of absinthe
By Pikkle on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 05:35 pm: Edit

The bottle is definitely cool... I did end up
mixing the last half about 50/50 with some
Deva and it became a bit more palatable but
overall, in my limited experience, this is not a
good example of good absinthe... if you must
try it, but it probably would make a better
mantle decoration.

By Bluedog1 on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 05:28 pm: Edit

But what a great looking bottle! I had a friend just bring me one from CZ. Not sure I'll open it and ruin the illusion

By Pikkle on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 07:15 am: Edit

I've only had one Czech absinthe,
Staroplzenecky and it was, for the lack of a
better word, horrid... perhaps it's just me but
after three sugar cubes, it should have
sweetened up a bit, but it didn't... that scared
me away from the Czech brands all together...
I finished the bottle of course, I always do... I'll
drink almost anything that's wet.

By Joshua on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 06:55 am: Edit

i rarely drink it,usally only when im painting,and since i fit the starving artist cliche i gotta ration it out.for some odd reason i really want to try hills out of morbid curiosity.

By Pikkle on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 06:28 am: Edit

I go through a bottle of Deva a week if I can
help it and try to sneak some Segarra in for a
little contrast... personally, I like the anise taste
but I'm sick in the head like that... if you really
want a treat and have some extra money to
burn, get the La Bleue... it's pretty pricey but
worth the pretty pricey too... I haven't had
Justin's yet but I did get a chance to sample
Betina's (only two bottles unfortunately!) Very
light and crisp with a soft sweet aroma and
full flavor, nice floral undertones and only the
slightest hint of that nasty anise... and the
secondary? Well, you gotta try it. IMHO, stay
away from Lasala and Herring unless you like
your absinthe citrus-ey... eww.

By Joshua on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 04:52 am: Edit

a month or so ago i bought some mari mayans and deva from sc,since then the mari mayans has has one drink taken from it,while the deva is two quarters gone.i found mm to be acrid with no secondary effects whatsoever.oh well,the bottle looks nice on the shelf.i suggest going with some deva,or some montana.

By Tavis on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 12:18 am: Edit

I received my absinthe order from SC on Monday (very speedy one week turnaround to the UK) and have been trying it out these past few days. I ordered Segarra and MM 70%, so I decided to take it easy on the alocohol and try Segarra first.

First off, I was surprised at what I thought was a fairly one-dimensional smell and taste, though that's not to say they were unpleasant by any means. However, I was very pleased overall with the first glass, given that I experienced a mild head-rush and attack of euphoria lasting a couple of minutes. Subsequent glasses (I had three) couldn't replicate this but I was definitely buzzing and not feeling drunk at all. In the morning I had a slight thirst as I would expect, and a feeling of contentment and relaxation.

The next night I decided to try MM. The smell was far weaker, and the taste was much less powerful but very pleasant and refreshing. People have spoken of how MM numbs the tongue, but I didn't notice that MM did this any more than Segarra. MM appeared to have no secondary effect on me, in fact I would say that the only thng affecting me was the alcohol, in that I started to feel mildly drunk and not alert at all. After the glass of MM I had a glass of Segarra, and I was beginning to appreciate the differences between the two. It was becoming obvious that MM was one-dimensional, where Segarra's aroma and flavour came from a combination of sources. The Segarra woke me up somewhat.

Last night I also had one glass of MM and one glass of Segarra. On smelling the Segarra neat now I could make out the anise, and also a noticeable honey or vanilla-like smoothness, together with a slight bitter edge.

In summary, I am glad I started to drink absinthe, but feel slightly cheated by the MM, in that it made me feel drunk more than anything else. I'm not looking for euphoria in every glass, but I am looking for a different effect than that of other alcoholic drinks. I loved the Segarra. What would people suggest I try next? Deva? Serpis? La Fee? I suppose it would be nice to try something with a little less anise, although I can't really fault Segarra in the taste department. Shame about the 'floodwater' louche!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation