BEI's LaBleue Review

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:BEI's LaBleue Review
By Thegreenimp on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 04:15 pm: Edit

To the other Texas members, there are a few of us in Houston as well.

By Eric on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 09:51 am: Edit

hey guys, I'm over here in westlake hills and would like to attend as well.

By Pikkle on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 08:53 am: Edit

If I may add...

I believe a fair comparison should be involved
in such an absinthe get together... that being
said, you really should try Betina's La Bleue if
you are going to try any La Bleue... and while I
have yet to try Justin's offerings, i know first
hand that I am in love with Betina's... It was my
first and will always be the most dearest in my
heart. Yes, I'm passionate about it and I wish i
too could find others in my locale with similar
interests but alas... consider yourselves lucky
to have found each other so near : ) Good

By Joalco on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Well then it's settled... I am putting aside the rest of my LaBleue until we can have a gathering. I live in Northwest Austin (past the Arboretum), but if you guys want to get together for an evening, e-mail me...

Looking forward to it,

By Daedelus on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 10:07 pm: Edit

I too am an Austinite. Maybe there is a trend starting on this board. Guerilla absinthe parties! San Francisco, D.C., middle America, and now Texas. Yee ha! I wonder if they had bottles of Absinthe behind the bars along side firewater and red-eye back in the "old west"? Probably not since the "old" west didn't end in Texas until the 1930's or so.

By Malhomme on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Sounds good! I'm in the Arboretum area so that's convenient. Perhaps something after the holidays? I'll email you sometime and go from there. It's always a pleasure meeting people with intrests in absinthe!

By Joalco on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Just send me an email and let me know when! A lot of time I'm at home (I'm divorced and have custody of my nine year old daughter, but I get every other weekend free. I live on the north side of town, but travelling's not a big deal. I'll be out of town this weekend for a funeral, and next week I'll be working on the set of a movie, but we could definitely plan something soon.

By Malhomme on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 02:50 pm: Edit

I also live in Austin. We should hook-up some time. Kinda busy with a contract at the moment, but it would be nice meet someone with a like-minded intrest....

By Joalco on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Hello folks! It's been a long time since I've posted here, I mostly stick to lurking in the shadows. Anyway, today I received a bottle of LaBleue from Justin at Belle Epoch Importers. The package arrived almost a week before I expected it to, and was very well-packed. I've only lost one shipment ever to breakage, but there's nothing worse than opening your parcel to discover that sweet anise smell has saturated the packing materials. Anyway, I'm working on my third glass of this absinthe, and it is excellent. The liquor is totally clear, not a hint of color at all. Even though it is 120 proof, the alcohol smell is not overwhelming, and straight the bouquet is clean and herbal. Once you add the water (and one sugar cube, but that's just personal preference), the aroma really blossoms, bringing out a touch (not too much!) of anise, a little mint, and wormwood. The louche is a bluish white, and is almost as visually dramatic as that of Mari Mayans 70%. The absinthe is not at all bitter or heavy. The flavor is well-rounded, and finishes clean with just a hint of the wormwood's bitterness. The secondary effects were noticeable after I got halfway through the second glass, and at this point are very pronounced. This was the first time I had used Justin's service, but it will definitely not be the last. And at $150 a bottle, this LaBleue is a great deal.

Until I get to sample some HD #9 or the new brews Ted and Don are hard at work on, I shall probably remain in the shadows....

jon c

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation