Voici la formule de l'absinthe G.LANQUETIN fils

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Voici la formule de l'absinthe G.LANQUETIN fils
By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 12:18 pm: Edit

There's no accounting for taste.

By Bardouin on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 08:41 am: Edit

No, I do not say that "this is my favorite absinthe," I say that this is a very fine "extract of absinthe" Lanquetin Fils absinthe sold very many bottles, and this is the recipe that they used. If you don't like it you would have bought another brand. This is what many cheap and popular extract of absinthe were like when this recipe was copied.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 04:09 am: Edit

This recipe would produce a disgusting macerated slop. The quantity of wormwood is only thing in normal range. The ratio of herbs to alcohol is way off. The ratio of anise to fennel is lopsided. The result would be bitter, tannic, undrinkable garbage that I doubt any amount of sugar could mask into something drinkable.

20 Kg total herbs to 420 liters of alcohol -- you don't say but I assume strong neutral spirits of high degree. That is only 1 Kg herbs to 21 liters alcohol. That is off by about a factor of 4-5 times on the low side.

Too much fennel will produce truly horrible results. Anise should predominate by a large factor. In this recipe fennel predominates instead by 50%. That is absurd.

Distillation is essential, not optional.

Scale this recipe down to 1 liter and try it. No equipment is required except a mixing vessel, herbs and some Everclear, and a filtering funnel to seperate the steep from the herbs.

You will want to steep at full strength and dilute the result (after removing herbs) to maybe 70 degree. I'd suggest steeping at room temperature for 24 hrs with occasional stirring.

Don't add the sugar till you do the hydrometer measurement for final concentration. Sugar will mess up the reading.

Try the results -- preferably on someone you don't like.

If this is what Bardouin thinks is a "very fine" absinthe I'd hate to see what he thinks is a bad absinthe. Bardouin's credibility just hit the skids, as far as I am concerned.

By Bardouin on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 09:27 am: Edit

This is the recipe. It is a easy recipe for a very fine swiss "extract of absinthe": 2kg grand wormwood, 7kg anise, 11kg fennel, steep in 420 liters, sweeten with sugar and bottle. It is a common recipe for swiss "extract of absinthes", they did not have to be distilled. Lanquetin had also a distilled "absinthe superior" but I do not have a recipe.

By Artemis on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 04:06 am: Edit

Erasure of a messed-up post. Sorry, is there a way to DELETE a post completely?

By Artemis on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 04:05 am: Edit

"So how do those stills work that are in the pictures?"

Same way any still works. Liquid is heated to the point it turns to vapor. The vapor rises into a heat exchanger, where it is cooled to the point it turns back to liquid and falls into a collection vessel.

"What are the big spheres on top?"

Chapiteau (capitol, literally a tent), also called an onion or a rectifier.

"Is the "pot" the cube part of the still?"

My guess is that's the condenser.

By Malhomme on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 01:13 pm: Edit

So how do those stills work that are in the pictures? (What are the big spheres on top? Is the "pot" the cube part of the still?) What's what?
mal

By Chrysippvs on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 11:52 am: Edit

That is funny I have labels for that absinthe and the La Meme that is on that site...

Even if we could read the method...it is always a touch of this and a dash of this, very vague..Practically a mnemonic..it is like reading Mayan or something..

By Timk on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 11:45 am: Edit

Voici la formule de l'absinthe G.LANQUETIN : liqueur d'absinthe, de l'anis et du fenouil.
- How to make absinthe : - )

Plan de la fabrique d'absinthe G.LANQUETIN fils, 4 Grande Rue Pontarlier.
How to distill absinthe - picture of still

http://home.nordnet.fr/~glanquetin/ABSINTHE/absinthe.htm

Have another look guys, the have a few more photos, and i wonder if the author could enlarge the picture of the formula to make absinthe G.LANQUETIN - sure would be nice to be able to read it: - )

Tim

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation