If Someone Were to Ask Me.............

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:If Someone Were to Ask Me.............
By Pikkle on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 11:03 am: Edit

Yes, versinthe is sweet... and yucky.

By Tabreaux on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 10:50 am: Edit

"Pastis contains no added sugar unless the bottle is marked as a sweet pastis."

Hmmm, that's interesting. Pastis 51, Pernod, Ricard, Janot, Versinthe, Lamesinthe, etc., all report cane sugar syrup as an ingredient, and the addition sugar is associated with pastis making. Since just the few products I've quoted collectively make up vast majority of pastis sold worldwide, I find it far more appropriate to say that unless stated otherwise, pastis contains added sugar.

Pour votre convenance:
C'est intéressant. Pastis 51, pernod, Ricard, Janot, Versinthe, Lamesinthe, etc., tout le sirop de sucre de canne d'état comme ingrédient, et le sucre d'ajout est associé à la fabrication de pastis. Puisque juste les quelques produits que j'ai cités collectivement faites vers le haut la grande majorité des pastis s'est vendu dans le monde entier, je le trouve plus approprié bien pour dire que sauf indication contraire, les pastis contient le sucre ajouté.

By Bardouin on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 09:46 am: Edit

Pastis contains no added sugar unless the bottle is marked as a sweet pastis. Star anis and green anis are not different when steeped in alcohol both release anethole and nothing else unless water is in the pot. Even pastis that uses oils will distill to purify the flavor of the herbs, there are only very few bad pastis that do not distill. All pastis use at least ten herbs, most absinthe use only three or four in ancient recipes anis, fennel, or wormwood are the most popular and are still used in pastis. Only very few absinthe had green color from herbs most used dyes.

By Tabreaux on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 05:06 pm: Edit

If what I've read on the La Muse Verte website is correct, it is only steeped. If this is the case, technically, it may not really qualify as pastis.

By Grimbergen on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 04:08 pm: Edit

I think that is pretty much spot on. We did get caught up on the AA issue, and it came across that that was the only requirement for a product to be absinthe. As I said in the other thread, AA is a necessary but not sufficient condition for absinthe. However, it does seem to be the most important condition.

I have one reservation about the pastis definition. I know one product (la muse verte) doesn't contain sugar. Whether this is an exception I can't say.

Grim

By Tabreaux on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 03:15 pm: Edit

If someone were to ask me to provide a brief description of absinthe as well as pastis, based upon the information I've gathered, this is what I'd say:

Absinthe

A green aromatic liqueur, first commercialized by Henri Louis Pernod circa 1805, which is made from an alcoholic distilliation of the herb Artemisia absinthium and other aromatic plants, typically including any or all of green anise, fennel, hyssop, melissa, and other European culinary and medicinal herbs. The liqueur is naturally colored by extracting chlorophyll (and additional flavoring) from selected herbs, and ranges from 45%-75% in alcohol content.

Notes:
1) Cheaper variations are typically made via a maceration of oils or extracts in lieu of distillation of bulk herbs.
2) Most modern versions substitute star anise and artificial colorings to cut costs.
3) Historically, absinthe of Swiss origin is frequently colorless.
4) Modern Iberian versions tend to be sweet, and are high in star anise content.
5) Modern Czech versions tend to resemble Czech bitter liqueurs in flavor, and have very little (if any) anise content.

Pastis

A sweet aromatic liqueur, first popularized in the 1920s, which is made from the distilled essences or steeped extracts of star anise and/or licorice, as well as other aromatic herbs and spices from Western Europe, Asia, and elsewhere. The liqueur usually carries an amber tint, and is colored by caramel and/or artificial colorings. Pastis contains added sugar, and ranges from 40%-55% in alcohol content.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation