Henri Bardouin review

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Henri Bardouin review
By Billynorm on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 08:23 pm: Edit

I agree completely with your review. A word to the wise about Henri-Bardouin: It tends to louche if you refrigerate it! It also develops some crystalline flaking after you remove it from the refrigerator, but the flavor is not affected.

By Pataphysician on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 06:29 pm: Edit

Review: Henri Bardouin Pastis

Label: "Pastis Liqueur, Henri Bardouin, a pastis des provencaux, Distilleries et Domaines de Provence, Forcalquier - France, 750ml, 45% Alc/Vol, Imported by Crillon Importers Ltd, Paramus, NJ"

Straight from the bottle it is clear green, with a sharp, sweet taste. Rather like brandy.

With four parts cold water Bardouin has a very cloudy, opaque yellow-green louche, with a thin oil slick on the top. Aroma is anis, citrous and wormwood. Taste is medium sweet (relative to other pastis), medium anis, dominantly citrous, a discearnable wormwood, and slightly spicey. They claim to use various peppers, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove and those seems evident, but very subtly done. Maybe those account for the citrous-like flavor. To me it comes off as a grapefruit flavor. The "overnight evaporation" test left a carmelly goo.

It doesn't need sugar, but it isn't so sweet that it can't be done up in the traditional way. Oddly, a cube of sugar doesn't seem to change the sweetness much. That is, without added sugar it seems sweet enough, but adding sugar doesn't make it too sweet.

In many ways Bardouin resembles the common Spanish absinthes. I tasted it alongside Segarra and Lasala and it compared well. I haven't sensed any secondary effect as I have with Spanish absinthes, though.

I bought this at a small US liquor store. Price was $20. Overall, I'd say it's a good bargain, better than the other pastis commonly found in the US.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation