Cocktail Madness

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Cocktail Madness
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through December 12, 2000  13   12/12 07:33pm

By Petermarc on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 06:49 pm: Edit

i'm glad i didn't make a jug or i would have been drooling in my mousakka...the retsina for lunch was direct from greece and had a mega-pine dose...

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 03:47 am: Edit

Well, I made a jug of Suissesse for Christmas day, using 2/3 Mari Mayans and 1/3 La Fée (a split based on economics) and folks were pretty much divided on whether it was a great drink or too rich/sweet. I had to finish off a few glasses that were left over, but I have had harder tasks.

By Petermarc on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 10:04 pm: Edit

tried ian's recipe out on the family for a pre-x-mas lunch 'apéroh'...used la sala...well, i liked it and everyone agreed it was decent or better, but, only one glass was made, that i drank...i think this will go over better on americans (or northern/eastern europeans...not the mediterranean types) who are bored of egg-nog but have developed the taste for egg and cream in their drink...i will make it again, maybe for new years, but this stuff could mess you up...

By Perruche_verte on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 12:05 pm: Edit

Merry Chrizzmuss... (hic)... too cold to
spell, or speak much...

Why is it again that I live here? I enjoy the admiring/fearful glances I get riding my bike year-round, but they're not enough in themselves.

Artemis, try the second recipe again. Don't
use Deva; too much anise. I used Segarra. Use almond syrup with sugar and natural flavoring, or better, orgeat, which contains orange flower water in addition to the almonds.

I do mostly agree that absinthe is to be mixed with water, just water, but there are times to break rules.

Hope everyone's holidays are merry (Absinthedrinker, how was that Xmas day Suisesse?).

By Artemis on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 07:44 am: Edit

Okay, this afternoon I tried both Suissesse recipes, strictly in the interest of science. It's a nasty job, but someone has to do it.

The one with vermouth was better than I expected. The drink as a whole improved upon the basic quality of the Deva I used. The herbiness of the vermouth and the mintiness of the Creme de Menthe actually improved the Deva, which still has that nasty woodiness I'm growing to dislike more and more. I used to think that was an aspect of an ingredient, but I now recognize it as an error in the distillation process (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I had no orgeat syrup, so I crushed some almonds in a mortar for the other recipe. This lent a granular quality I would just as soon not try again. The drink was smoother and creamier, as expected, than the first, but I would stop short of calling it an angel kiss. In any case, I prefer absinthe with water, but the vermouth will come in handy to marry to some gin I already had ...

Ted's explanation of "Sazerac" as a brandy is a revelation, but I was familiar with the apothecary connection - according to Arthur's book, the cocktail originated as "medicine", served over the counter at New Orleans apothecary shops.

By Thegreenimp on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 05:15 am: Edit

Thanks Ted,
I was curious since the vintage or original style Absinthe was used in a number of drinks, that there had to be a major taste difference with what is generally available today.
I know that the present limited supply of authentic absinthe (soon to change) makes for a narrow group of experience in mixed drinks.
I tried a Sazerac with Deva, and I didn't think too much of it
It would be fun to see how some of these older drinks respond to having the real thing back in town.
Sounds like the coming year will be fun to research......
Regards
Jay

By Don_walsh on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 05:14 am: Edit

Jay, I have been charged with leaving all remarks about our forthcoming products to Ted, but I think I won't be crossing the line by saying: YES you will be in for several quite novel experiences, whether you drink these traditionally, or use them to make cocktails. That's all I can say before someone shows up with duct tape and a gag order.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 05:09 am: Edit

So the original Sazerac cocktail was more like a brandy & absinthe 'Earthquake' (wasn't that Lautrec's drink?) with bitters added.

Most obviously, a brandy/old absinthe cocktail is not going to be at all similar to a modern Sazerac cocktail, bourbon and modern absinthe and bitters. Or to the intermediate version with rye.

Obviously this is an exception to "plus le change, plus la meme chose". The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I've had a Sazerac in the Old Absinthe Bar a few times, for the same reason that I drink a Singapore Gin Sling when I go to the Writer's Bar at the Raffles Hotel (Singapore).

Now I will have to try the original Sazerac recipe...where to get Sazerac brandy? Esp now that I have alienated the French? (I do have a few French friends who do not read this forum. And they are in the Cognac business, on the estate side. Aligned with Remy.)

By Tabreaux on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 04:52 am: Edit

Artemis is right, classic style absinthe does make a difference....a big one. FWIW, Sazerac (like cognac or armagnac) was an imported brandy. The French apothecary who invented the original Sazerac cocktail was made with absinthe, Sazerac brandy, and Angostura and Peychaud bitters. This was considered to be a shot of 'medicine'. Only when Sazerac was not around was rye whiskey substituted. Following prohibition, bourbon was substituted for rye, etc., and so forth.

By Artemis on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 04:43 am: Edit

"Does the vintage style absinthe make a noticeable difference in a Sazerac or Suisse?"

Although I don't mix absinthe with anything but water, I can only say that the vintage style stuff tastes NOTHING like any Spanish absinthe, and therefore yes, the difference in a cocktail would almost have to be noticeable.

By Artemis on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 04:40 am: Edit

Sorry, I gave the recipe verbatim to give an idea of the flavor of the book, which is kind of quaint and antiquated. It's not because you're a limey that you didn't catch those words; a lot of people in the U.S. wouldn't know what charged water or a pony is.

Charged water is water charged with CO2, in other words, carbonated water, fizzy water. A pony is indeed an ounce. A jigger is 1-1/2 ounces. You've probably seen those egg cup type things, with opposing cups on them - one is a pony and the other is a jigger - either can serve as the foot. In fact, the word "cocktail" originated in NOLA, as a tranliteration of the French for "egg cup". The egg cup was the original serving vessel for the cocktail, if Mr. Arthur's book is correct, and I believe it is, because he makes a very sound argument for the derivation of the word.

By Thegreenimp on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 01:09 am: Edit

While we are discussing Absinthe Cocktails, perhaps Ted or Don could answer since they have access to a unique product.
Does the vintage style absinthe make a noticeable difference in a Sazerac or Suisse?
Are we in for a new experience in mixing absinthe based drinks? And what has been passing for them these many years has to have changed since the ban just on supply alone.
An interesting thought......
Regards
Jay

By Thegreenimp on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 12:58 am: Edit

A Pony is 1 oz I have an old measuring glass that is graduated in oz, jiggers, and ponies.
Nice little glass, that can measure up to 4 1/2oz, or ponies, 3 jiggers.
Regards
Jay

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 12:41 am: Edit

...the measured amount a midget pony could drink when he was brought to the bar...? What bars are you hanging out in these days Peter?

By Petermarc on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 12:36 am: Edit

'charged' water is carbonated water (to fill a syphon bottle is to 'charge' it...a pony, i'm sure, has something to do with 'pony up to the bar'or maybe the measured amount a midget pony could drink when he was brought to the bar...(smilely winky thing, brought to you by bob chong,
inc. of world company.world)

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Sounds great Artemis but can you please explain this 'pony' business and 'charged' water to a limey?

By Artemis on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 04:44 am: Edit

Okay, here it is.
Luger, are you out there? I promised you this recipe months ago; Absinthedrinker has called me on my threat and now I'm forced to get off my ass:

1 teaspoon of sugar
1 pony of French vermouth
2 ponies of absinthe substitute
1 white of egg
½ pony of creme de menthe
2 ounces of charged water

Mix the sugar with charged water, vermouth and absinthe. Drop in the white of egg. Fill the glass with cracked ice and shake vigorously. Strain into a champagne glass in which there is a cherry with creme de menthe poured over it.
The recipe is from "Famous New Orleans Drinks and how to mix ‘em" by Stanley Clisby Arthur, published in 1937; apparently self-published.

Mr. Arthur goes on to explain that "Suissesse" is French for a Swiss woman.

In 1937, the recipe would of course have called for absinthe *substitute*. Absinthedrinker will no doubt be forgiven for reversing subject and verb, so to speak, and *subsituting* absinthe instead.

The drink book is a fine little book, containing some absinthe lore, many absinthe drinks, and many other NOLA drinks such as Sazerac, and the one which caused me to "liberate" the book from its original resting place, that for the Ramos Gin Fizz, which is also an egg white drink.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't tried either this recipe or the one posted here previously, but I have to say the one originally posted sounds altogether more tasty.

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 02:46 am: Edit

Artemis

I'm standing by, cocktail shaker at the ready. I plan to serve Suissesse on Christmas day.

By Artemis on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 02:38 am: Edit

"When I said that 'its been some time since i've had one of these' I did of course mean a Suissesse, French kissing an angel - well that's a different matter..."

Glad you explained that, as I was going to ask you which one you'd done recently. I have a different recipe for a Suissesse, from an old New Orleans mixed drink book, that I'll post when I get time.

By Absinthedrinker on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 09:20 pm: Edit

When I said that 'its been some time since i've had one of these' I did of course mean a Suissesse, French kissing an angel - well that's a different matter...

By Petermarc on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 08:31 pm: Edit

without a doubt,the most seductive drink analogy i have ever read...

By Absinthedrinker on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 07:49 pm: Edit

A French kiss from an angel, wow, never thought of it like that before. It's been some time since I had one of these I must reacquaint myself...

By Perruche_verte on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 05:45 am: Edit

My god. I just drank one of these. I feel like I just had a long French kiss with an angel.

I had to substitute almond syrup for orgeat, as there was none to be found within easy distance and I'm beginning to make a spectacle of myself riding around in the snow on my bicycle -- the weather here is most inclement and many are afraid to drive...

But I'm quite a bit warmer now!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation