DQOTM (Dumb Question of the Month)

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:DQOTM (Dumb Question of the Month)
By Treeman5 on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 01:13 am: Edit

The cabin on an airliner is pressurized..The contents will be fine as long as the "bottle" is not slammed sharply..Wrap it in bubble wrap and tape it to high heaven inside a box..X-rays will only pick up on the bottle..In which case its some brand of wine you got as a gift..If you are asked to open it, don't freak, they could care less and probably never heard of the stuff anyway..Have a fun trip and have a glass for me...

By Perruche_verte on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 04:08 pm: Edit

The stuff comes to the US as air freight anyway, so pressure and spillage shouldn't be concerns. Just pack it well... packing materials recycled from a Spirits Corner order would work especially well, I'd think. They do *such* a good job.

By Whichbaybee on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 03:36 pm: Edit

I'm only going for a short trip, so I've just got a carry-on. Perhaps I should check it; should I be worried about the pressure, or the contents spilling/breaking?

By Bob_chong on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Can't you check it? That solves all your problems (as long as it doesn't break).

By Whichbaybee on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 02:59 pm: Edit

Hmmm.... Yes, my bottle is sealed and unopened. A friend suggested wrapping it in tissue paper and shoving it into a wine bag, so it looks like a Christmas present. Would that work? I may just go with the Gatorade idea. I mean, if they make me take a sip, I can do that (though I'd prefer not to take it straight).

By Don_walsh on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Justin, they are talking about domestic flights within USA only.

By Grimbergen on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 11:33 pm: Edit

I think Bob is right, the problem would be if it is an open bottle. I personally keep old pastis bottles around when I need to travel with my absinthe. Fill the bottle up so that it looks like it is full and then I glue the metal/plastic ring back to the cap, so that on a brief inspection it appears to be unopened.

I don't think it is likely that you would be stopped. My father has traveled with an open bottle of whisky for the past 40 years. He travels frequently and has never had a problem.

Grim

By Chrysippvs on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 10:52 pm: Edit

I have heard of customs comming out of the Czech Republic checking bags on the way out. There are even signs making sure that American visitors don't bring absinthe back with them.

I am sure that Spanish customs is much easier on this issue. Also if you check out the customs travlers guide there is a nice little quote saying that one can't bring absinthe into the country....

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/travel/know.htm

So with it saying "ABSENTA" on the bottle could be a problem...but I had a friend sneak me back three bottles of Deva, Montana, and Lasala (my first three bottles of absinthe, still sealed on my shelf) with no problems....

By Bob_chong on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 10:32 pm: Edit

If you are carrying on the booze, it may be a problem, unless it is unopened and sealed. And even then it may be a problem. Not b/c it's absinthe, though, but because it is a liquid inside a bottle. Some airlines (most? all?) will not let anyone bring an opened bottle of anything. After all, it *could* be poison, sulfuric acid, etc.

I have brought water and they have made me open it on the spot and take a drink. I guess that is supposed to thwart the poison/acid/etc. idea.

My advice would be to check the bottle in one of your bags. Even better, pour the contents into a flask or two and then check them. I wouldn't put a glass bottle inside a bag for airport lackeys to throw around.

BC

By Whichbaybee on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Hey- I'm going to travel within the U.S. in a few weeks. Will I have a problem transporting my Deva Absenta on domestic flights? I have this nightmare of going through the security gates, and having my bags x-rayed, and then getting in trouble. I mean, I'm pretty sure I can travel with it just fine, from state to state, but I need some sort of reassurance from the members of this forum. Has anyone else traveled with it? (The depths of my paranoia are such that I am considering using an empty bottle of some sort of greenish fruit juice- Gatorade?- to transport my absinthe.) Any advice, chastisement for being silly, or comments would be appreciated.

I've been reading this forum for a while now (this is my first post) and I'd like to thank the regulars in advance. You've been infinitely helpful and amusing.

BTW, re: the sugar cubes thread- from a heterosexual female's point of view, I'd totally do Gambit from the X-men. My god, he is hot!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation