Absinthe stuff on ebay !!!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Absinthe stuff on ebay !!!
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through December 12, 2000  6   12/12 12:32am

By Petermarc on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 01:44 pm: Edit

ahhh...now you're talking...i will be the first to admit that if absinthe didn't have this crazy-wonderful/deranged history, i probably wouldn't be so hooked on it and the paraphernalia that went along with it...we all strive to be something great (in our own minds) but we can more easily share our human weaknesses, desires,
fears and pleasures...
to handle an object, to think of it's story, to wonder if it inspired genius, insanity, happiness, misery, profit or ruin... everyone, everything has a story...and i wouldn't be here if this wasn't one of the most interesting stories
about a beverage...

By Midas on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 09:45 am: Edit

I guess I am collecting ghosts in a way. Ghosts you can see when you look at the creases in the spine of a 150 year old book, or the scratches in the bottom of an absinthe glass, or the well worn handle of an opium scale. It's the signs and symptoms of human interaction that I adore about antique objects.
I once got to run my hands over the Rosetta Stone, and I felt like I was connecting with the thousands of people who have had contact with the stone over the span of it's existence.
It's a nice thought.

By Perruche_verte on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 10:59 am: Edit

Well spoken. I think I see what you mean -- you're not just collecting things, you're collecting ghosts. Friendly ones, I'd hope. ;-)

I do have quite some respect for the good people on this forum who sell such objects, genuine ones, and their attendant spirits at a fair price.

By Midas on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 10:18 am: Edit

Perruche, that is a valid argument. However speaking for myself, I buy antiques because I feel I am investing in history (given that they are genuine, obviously). I love being surrounded by objects that have been in use or had some sort of place in a persons life tens or sometimes hundreds of years ago.
And I'm not talking solely about absinthiana. My latest splurge was a pair of chinese lotus slippers (shoes worn by a woman with bound feet). Plus there's the 1930's last communion set, mastodon teeth, a victorian cherub gravestone (aquired legitimately!) and all my opium pipes, scales, containers etc.
All these things, although aesthetically not everyone's cup of tea, add a warmth to the house, because I feel I am constantly surrounded by the histories held within the pieces themselves.
There really are people out there who are perfectly willing to part you from your money any way possible, but this shouldn't dissuade anyone who really does feel the way I do about antiques, as you're buying more than just what you see.

By Perruche_verte on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 10:19 pm: Edit

When will they try making an honest living?

As a non-collector, the business of antiques is fascinating yet somehow repellent to me. The prices have next to nothing to do with the practical value of the objects being sold. I am fascinated by antiques, though, because I see in them a lot of really beautiful and useful ideas that have wound up in the "dustbin of history", often for no particularly good reason... like absinthe itself. Sometimes these ideas make their way out again, like absinthe appears to be doing.

But it's really the ideas that I like, although the execution can be important also (too often "reproduction" means "cheap knock-off"). I have respect for the past, but I don't need to own Belle Epoch objects to appreciate that great art, culture and absinthe were created during that era. Like a lot of other people, I am busy doing cultural work today, while enjoying today's absinthes (for better or worse).

Look at all the discussions here about where to get useful, inexpensive absintheware. Nice egg, swirl or bistro glasses with dose marks, reasonably priced and presented *as modern absintheware*, would probably sell very well. I think Mike I. was getting some made but got ripped off by the manufacturer.

Some people have suggested etching your own dose marks on modern glasses, and judging from at least one item I've seen on Ebay, this suggestion has not been lost on the frauds!

Like Phil wrote about the Tour Eiffel spoons -- selling the object itself is not enough. They want the extra bucks they can expect for anything with the word "antique" on it.

By Petermarc on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 04:02 pm: Edit

thanks again phil but too late for me, i bought
two of these glasses at a street market, and was told they were from the 1920's...i thought they might be spanish...they're nice and heavy and are hand blown with polished pontil on the base, but...well, hey, czech fausse-absinthe glasses for czech fausse-absinthe (wear your faux-pearl necklace and diamonelles while sipping)the spoons don't even come close to resting properly on the rim..way too wide...i only paid 120ff($15)each...not too painful... and have since seen them around flea markets and antique shows in paris for as much as 500ff($65)each...

By Perruche_verte on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 12:42 pm: Edit

Thanks for the warning, Phil, though I did not intend to bid anyway.

The spoons in that set look the same as my cheap "Absente" spoon, which I think is the same new losanges pattern (apparently with no Delahaye equivalent) sold by Spirits Corner (very cheap) and by Mike I. on the Absinthe Portal. I do not know what the name "Roger Orfevre" means though.

Do these new spoons all come from the same maker?

By Frenchman on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 11:22 pm: Edit

Be careful !!!!
Fake glasses to http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=525915645
(Czech making)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation