Hapsburg Absinthe - My Review

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Hapsburg Absinthe - My Review
By Phouka on Thursday, December 28, 2000 - 03:47 am: Edit

Thanks - as I said, I'd never tasted any absinthe before, nor had I tasted anything with A. absinthium in it (unless I accidentally tasted a trace amount when gardening -- That sort of thing happens when I garden, which is one reason there are certain plants that, though beautiful, will never grace my garden.) I definitely thought I tasted and smelled the scent I recalled from the wormwood plant in my garden though. It's good to have confirmation that that was really there, because it was something I liked about the smell and taste of the Hapsburg I had.

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, December 26, 2000 - 10:34 am: Edit

"I see you compare it to Tunel, so I went and read your review of that too and you do mention that the taste of A. absinthium is present in the Tunel. Did you detect it in the flavor of the Hapsburg as well then?"

Hapsburg and Tunel taste very similar. Unless something has me fooled, I taste A. absinthium (or extract thereof) in both.

By Phouka on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Ah, yes. "If you can bear the alcohol content".
A friend brought some back recently from a trip home to England.
The Hapsburg I tried was the 85% alcohol variety, which meant that I for one most definitely had to water it down to drink it.
At that point I did find it to be a quite drinkable alcoholic product though. I had a nice evening sitting and drinking it with the friend whose bottle it was.

Ted - I see you compare it to Tunel, so I went and read your review of that too and you do mention that the taste of A. absinthium is present in the Tunel. Did you detect it in the flavor of the Hapsburg as well then?
I did definitely think that I recognised the scent of A. absinthium when we opened the bottle. I used to grow wormwood (by which I do mean specifically A. absinthium) in my garden at my last house, and I actually rather like the scent of wormwood, so this was something that I was looking for/expecting when trying out absinthe.
I guess I'm trying to get someone else's opinion on whether I really detected it wafting out along with the alchohol fumes or whether that was mere olfactory hallucination brought on by my desire to detect it.

Hapsburg was my first (and thus far only) venture into trying absinthe. I suspect in the long run I will end up crediting it mainly with having piqued my interest in actually getting a hold of and trying absinthe, and with having started me on the web search that lead me to this forum. I am waiting for the release of Ted and Don's product to spend any of my $$ on getting any absinthe of my very own to try. (My money is a limited commodity right now, so I figure I can wait and start my continued experiments there.)

By Tabreaux on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 04:07 pm: Edit

I received a sample of Hapsburg Absinthe today. The sample was graciously provided to me by Dale of Wine and Spirit International, London. They distribute several brands, including Hapsburg, Dedo, Trenet, etc.
http://www.wineandspirit.com/

The package arrived well packed and unhindered. Hapsburg Absinthe is made in Bulgaria, and comes in two different strengths, 72.5% and 85% alcohol. Both strengths come in a satin finish glass bottle, with the lower strength being a green label, the higher one being red. The back label lists the following ingredients: alcohol, water, natural 'aroma', wormwood infusion, sugar, and coloring E102-E131.

Apparently, coloring E102-E131 seems to be popular, as Hapsburg, Dedo, and Trenet all use it, and are all basically the same medium to light green color, with just the slightest bit of blue tint.

The aroma is mostly alcohol, with just the slightest hint of anise. Tasting the liqueur neat reveals a very mild anise flavor, with a mild bitterness behind it.

Adding water reveals a slight louche, and again, a mild anise (star anise) and mildly bitter flavor. There is not much I can say to further define the flavor, as it is simple and straightforward.

I find the flavor to be *very* similar to Tunel, and like Tunel, I grade this product as in the same general group as the Czech products, but with a more refined (albeit thin), drinkable light anise flavor. The bitterness is not obtrusive enough to warrant any sugar usage. Quite honestly, if you can bear the alcohol content, you could just drink it out of the bottle.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation