Review of Deva 70

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Review of Deva 70
By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 01:37 am: Edit

It's been a loooong time since anyone was ALLOWED to talk about absinthe on this sorum, coutesy of Martin, that is.

By Midas on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 11:17 pm: Edit

Or maybe I can start exporting it. Australian Coke still uses sugar.
-Robert.

By Bluedog1 on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 01:11 pm: Edit

If you want real Coca-Cola with sugar vice corn syrup, buy all your Coke products just before Passover. Coke markets a Kosher for Passover version of all its products with sugar, as corn syrup, being made from corn, is a grain and forbidden.

Interesting facts to know and tell. Now back to real absinthe talk.

By Grimbergen on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Perruche,

you didn't give the whole story there, at least not as I heard it.

The teacher replies to the girl that the taste buds for sugar are in the front of the mouth...

grim

By Perruche_verte on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 04:00 pm: Edit

Old joke/urban legend:

Science prof tells class, "Human semen is about 90% water. The rest is mostly fructose and protein..."

Young student raises her hand, innocently: "So why does it taste salty then?"

Class and prof begin laughing. She looks confused, then blushes and runs out of the room.

You can tell it's a "moldy oldie" from the ending -- I think most of my female friends would glare at them and say, "Yeah, funny. Just tell me why, assholes."

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 12:08 am: Edit

Well, guys, I had a look in the good old Merck.

Sucrose is cane sugar and beet sugar. Common table sugar, as well as brown sugar, are just grades of refined cane sugar at least where I come from.

Dextrose, and D-(+)-glucose are the same thing. Blood sugar, grape sugar, corn sugar, all are dextrose.

Fructose is honey sugar and is also the principal sugar in many fruits. If you would like a little titillation it is also the sugar in both human and bull semen.

By Grimbergen on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 08:42 pm: Edit

oh yeah, and dextrose is NOT good with absinthe.

By Grimbergen on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 08:13 pm: Edit

I occasionally use dextrose in brewing. If you taste the stuff plain you will immediately be able to tell the difference between it and sugar (sucrose).

I am almost positive that beet sugar is sucrose. I also believe that belgium is one of the largest producers of beet sugar in the world. I went to a sugar factor in belgium on an 8th grade field trip. God that stuff smell nasty while it's being processed.

By Bob_chong on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 02:53 pm: Edit

Corn sugar is referred to as dextrose (or, technically, glucose that is readily fermentable).

Corn syrup has glucose and maltose, depending on the grade.

All this info I got from Charlie Papzian (Complete Joy of Homebrewing).

BC

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 02:37 pm: Edit

Well, 'sugar' in usual comml meaning is sucrose. Corn sugar (in corn syrup for sure) is fructose, unless I am very mistaken. Beet sugar, I will have to look up. At the moment it is 5 AM (in Bangkok) and the only thing I can remember for sure about beets is that they are grown by Russian farmers with wives who look a lot like Nikita Kruschev in a sack dress. "Natasha, my little tractor!"

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 01:57 pm: Edit

What's really interesting is that a few years before the New Coke fiasco, Coca-Cola changed the formula from sugar to corn-syrup, and nobody noticed. Goes to show what you can feed American consumers as long as you don't TELL them...

Really, I prefer aspertame to corn syrup.

(mmmm...formaldehyde....)

By Petermarc on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 01:48 pm: Edit

coke with sugar can also be found in the bahamas,
france and i imagine most of europe where beet sugar is plentiful...startling how much better it is...

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 01:39 pm: Edit

Glad to hear someone else can't stand the taste of corn syrup. Trying to find fruit juice that's corn-syrup free for less than $3 a quart is also a chore. The way I hear it, ADM and friends got a law passed a while back that places a sufficient tax on real sugar (cane or beet) that it always wholesales for more than corn syrup, which has made the syrup ubiquitous in mass-produced american products.

What I can't figure is why they can't make tortilla and corn chips with corn oil. It's a corn chip: use corn oil. Seems pretty simple to me. If they've got so much corn lying around that they're making soda, juice, and even gasoline substitutes with it, why isn't it cheap enough to unseat the putrid likes of partially hydrogenated soybean oil, and cottonseed oil in the chip world?

K.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 12:51 pm: Edit

Dear blackjack

Of course you like it (Jolt), so do I, though damned if I can get it in Bangkok. I must make do with lots of cola from morning till early evening then absinthe till beddy bye (per Rodney Dangerfield, I dunno how to fall asleep, but I know how to pass out.) Extrapolated forwards and backwards this probably means 'diabetes, adult sabile' but so far I am pretty asymptomatic.

However, I doubt you would much care for my toxic metaphorical liquor of 100 years ago. Sugar and caffeine are better than antimony and arsenic and aniline green.

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 12:36 pm: Edit

I LIKE Jolt Cola! It's one of the few Colas in the US that still uses real sugar instead of corn syrup. As far as cola goes, it's either Jolt or Mexican Coke in the little glass bottles from my corner bodega.

I had a bad guarana soda problem for a while. It's like a cross between grape soda and crystal meth...

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 12:00 pm: Edit

Justin, you mean like a 19th century Jolt Cola of absinthe? Double the heavy metals. Double the aniline green dyes and rat poison?

Damn, and they blamed all that brain damage on what? Thujone? Get real!

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 09:36 am: Edit

If that is the label I am thinking of it is very Cheezy. It appeals to "absinthe is a mystical experience" people. I thought it was rather trite..something I would see in the AD&D Monster Manual. Let me try to dig up and image.

When Betty was working with www.absinth.com there was an image of it on that page, but they either dropped her brand or just changed the labeling (what is funny is that their label is taken from one of the more toxic rip offs of E. Penod of the day!)

let me see if I can find it again....

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 09:32 am: Edit

I enjoy the apples, moreso with caramel.

By Midas on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 09:28 am: Edit

Bob, you're right. Not $90 bucks worth (or AUS$180 for lil old me). I'd still like to see a pic, though.
And my, aren't there are alot of apples and oranges floating around this forum at the moment! ; )

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 10:32 pm: Edit

I agree Marc. Spanish absinthe and la bleue are apples and oranges...

By Marc on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Mr. Lautrec's review came up short. Perhaps the Deva has made his tongue a little too loose.
Deva = La Bleue. I don't think so.

Spot the puns?

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Why isn't Deva 70 available from SC?

By Bob_chong on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 01:37 pm: Edit

$90 for paper and glue? I'm sure it ain't *that* interesting.

By Midas on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 08:52 pm: Edit

The label sounds interesting though...

By Anatomist1 on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Buy a bottle of Deva from spiritscorner, add a jigger of everclear... voila! Deva 70. Net savings: ~$90 US

By Grimbergen on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Have you tried it Ted?

By Tabreaux on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 04:37 pm: Edit

I believe this product is the same as the regular Deva but with more alcohol.

By Tlautrec on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 12:54 pm: Edit

I just received a bottle of Deva 70 from Betina, whose service was, as always, reliable, efficient and gracious. It's great stuff, better than Mari Mayans. Bright emerald in the bottle, it louched beautifully to a pearly, opaque, greenish silver hue. I found it more complex than any of the other Spanish brands I've tried. It has a good balance of bitter wormwood, anise/licorice and floral herbs, with none of these flavors overpowering the others. Observing the progress of its flavors as I sipped it without sugar and with only a little water to cut the alcohol, the first taste was bitter; the next one - spiritous; the next one - richly herbal; the final taste was almost sweet, and sublime. Although drinkable without sugar, the sugar enriched the herbal melange, making it a truly enjoyable, refreshing drink -- not unlike a Swiss La Bleue, I thought. In order to test out this mental comparison, I next tried the Deva 70 side by side with a fine Swiss product. I couldn't say that the Deva 70 was better than the Swiss or vice-versa. Trying to describe the two would be like comparing a great burgundy to a great cab. Also, the label on the Deva 70 bottle, with two elegant art nouveau green fairies sensuously interacting with each other, is perhaps the most beautiful contemporary label I've seen.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation