Betina Elixirs Announcement

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Betina Elixirs Announcement
By Anatomist1 on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Well Bobbie ;-)

Given your analysis, I'm going to have to state that the annoyance value of "emoticons" :{ as with most things :| is more a matter of quality than quantity. I would say that you have achieved a rare and elite ratio of annoyance level per emoticon occurence. A dubious achievement >:{ but an acheivement nonetheless :~(

K.

By Bob_chong on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 03:01 pm: Edit

Anatomist1:

I logged on to "edit profile" and checked my last 27 posts, and there wasn't a single emoticon (i.e., "those damn winky-smiley things") to be found.

Am I often smug? Yes. Am I overindulgent in the damn winkey-smiley things? Not that I know of.

Maybe I could start calling myself Bobbie and put a smiley face where the "o" goes and the "i" will be dotted with a pink heart.

BC

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 02:08 pm: Edit

Pardon me, blackjack, you are correct. I slept through my biology and biochemistry classes, and spent all my time in the organic lab (eventually they gave me my own). Anyway I ought to have remembered that particular nicety, as the very first science fiction novel I read (at age 13, mumbledy-mumble decades ago) was a Hal Clement one about an alien-human symbiosis. While the SECOND sf novel I read was PUPPET MASTERS by Heinlein and that was parasitism, no doubt. Finally turned into a movie, rather decently, with Donald Sutherland as the Old Man, just within the last few years. The film was paced well, which is to say fast, as meeds be, but it's really hard to distill even a relatively short Heinlein into 90 or 120 minutes.

It was only a year or two later when I got to know Heinlein's friends in New Orleans -- Dan Galouye (whose novel SIMULACRON-3 was recently filmed as THE THIRTEENTH FLOOR), and Hermann and Eberhardt Deutsch -- Hermann was the archetype of the Jubal Harshaw character in STRANGER.

By the time of the Apollo 11 launch there I was having a drink with Bob and Ginny Heinlein at Joe Green's place in Merritt Island, the night before the launch, Bob was consulting for ABC, Arthur Clarke (who was sitting in a comfy chair on the other side of Joe's living room) was consulting for CBS, and I has phony press credntials as Verne Petro of the Shreveport Times, and a Nikon F with motor drive and the old huge 500mm f5 mirror lens round my neck for camoflague...no, that was next day at the press site not at the party.

I guess I was not quite Justin's age then. It was a good year. I was still innocent of war and all things seemed possible.

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 01:52 pm: Edit

There is a distinct difference between symbiosis and parasitism. Symbiosis benefits both organisms. Parasitism helps one and injures the other.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 12:43 pm: Edit

BTW symbiosis is a polite word for a parasitic relationship, biologically speaking...so we are back to Bob and his leeches. Metaphorically.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 12:41 pm: Edit

In that case, the symbiosis with Betty serves you well. Don't worry, be happy.

However there are lots of people on this Forum who must perspire out every purchase of 1-2-3 bottles of Deva from SC, sweating over every nuance of the shipping costs. No worries, I just doubt they share your point of view. It seems they have lots of time and not so much $$.

Me, I have lots of both. Lucky me.

By Pikkle on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Money I have plenty of, time I don't.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 12:08 pm: Edit

If you want 1 bottle then you are maybe correct.

If you want a few then Marc's connection at $80 a bottle including shipping begins to be attractive.

But really, Swiss friends aren't so hard to make.

Really! I'm not an air steward, or a globe trotter. I have long parked my expanding bottom in Bangkok, hardly the center of the known universe, yet I had little trouble reaching out and getting 4 bottles delivered to my hands and not through the post either. I still have three of the empties, I gave one away. I spent a grand total of $120, so I have a pretty firm opinion of just what LB goes for at the source. Switzerland is not the dark side of the moon. (That's parts of Pakistan.)

Be creative. Be imaginative. Be resourceful. If you just want to throw money at the problem, there will always be a Betty to catch it.

By Pikkle on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 11:57 am: Edit

Not everyone has Swiss friends or the time to
obtain them and no one is coming up with
resonable solutions for those of us who aren't
privy or lucky enough to know the right people,
we are the ones who have to rely on the
people like Betty and Justin and yes, if we are
willing to pay their prices, then so be it. If you
have an actual reasonable solution, then by all
means tell. I don't remember seeing 'Swiss R
Us' in the phone book under absinthe the last
time I looked.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 11:52 am: Edit

Right on! G.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 11:48 am: Edit

Not my fault, pikkle. That's the price posted on the BG for purchase in the Jura and, as if by coincidence, that's the price my Swiss friends buy it for, in my behalf, and sell it to me for. 50 ChFr. If you are resourceful, that's all you have to pay. If less resourceful you can buy from marc's buddy at $80 delivered, 12 bottles at a time. That's less than Betty would charge you for 5 bottles. Mostly because she PAYS too much. Silly person.

Look, you want to pay $200 a bottle, no skin off my nose. Just don't come on here and pretent that this is the value from On High. It isn't.

By G__ on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 11:43 am: Edit

Anatomist1 is right. Luckily for me I was a lurker long enough to find out the truth and not buy from people charging too much. The absinthe dealers can be unkind to us new folks. And I don't have enough money to learn the hard way.

By Pikkle on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 11:27 am: Edit

Well I don't see anyone selling La Bleue for 30
bucks a bottle around here, do I?

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 11:22 am: Edit

Damned right, Anatomist1. I got involved with this thread mostly because she was crapping on Bob, who was just griping about her prices, and I stayed because she escalated about me and mine.

If Bob doesn't have a right to speak on this forum, who does?

You are right on about the manufactured robotic testimonials, they are an insult to everyone's intelligence and a throwback to the old forum. Let any any all purveyors of such go on notice, posts that smell like rotten eggs, will be taken as rotten eggs.

Anyone who wants to buy elixirs from the B person, hey, it's your money. Just don't pee on our heads and say it's raining. No one is getting confiscated at Customs.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 11:14 am: Edit

Bob, I haven't run a gun shop since 1973 or so. I saw no future in it, and started brokering instead, then got involved in designing and specialized manufacturing for the military, and from there went into marketeering for the big industries, consulting, lecturing, and finally defense journalism at (eventually) a fairly exalted level. I gave up my 11 year tenure as bureau chief for south east Asia for my last publisher, in September, to devote all my energies to absinthe,

No TV commercial.

But, I do like to sell absinthe and yes, I do care about the money. It's a good way to keep score.

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 11:12 am: Edit

I dunno. While I think that Bob's sniping was piling up to an extent that a reaction was inevitable... especially with those damn winky-smiley things at the end, I have to admit that I'm mostly on his side here.

It seems there is a rather steady stream of people here on the forum that introduce themselves, and tell us they just made a multi-hundred dollar purchase from Betina Elixirs, citing fear of customs hassles and broken bottles, and general comfort with a "domestic source". Recently, a guy was even going on about how he needed to buy Deva 70 instead of Deva because it is "more stable". I have never heard the issue of stability-paranoia brought up before, but I bet I know where it came from. What these neophytes have in common is that they are bombarded by loquatious emails from BE before they have the chance to peruse the forum and formulate opinions for themselves.

I also see people selling empty Deva bottles on eBay for $5-15 with nary an intention of informing their customer that full ones can be had from SC for only about twice that. Several times I have sent an email to the bidders in such auctions, and they have been very grateful to be guided to the forum and spiritscorner.

While it is ultimately the responisibility of every person to tend their own education, I do not like to see profiteers assuming the role of teacher, or more often withholder of freely available information, to their own ends. Just as most martial arts teach that it is the responsibility of the strong to stand between harm and those less capable of coping with it, so I believe it is the responsiblity of the informed to stand between liars and the ignorant. Although Bob can get a bit smug, especially with those damn smiley-winkey things, I believe this is essentially what he has been trying to do. If the newbies hadn't been so well indoctrinated, maybe he wouldn't need such hyperbole.

K.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 10:48 am: Edit

Ted, Betty deserved every electron of vituperation she got and from everyone she got it from. Sorry if it doesn't jive with the touchy-feely pr bit. Screw her if she can't take a joke.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 10:44 am: Edit

blackjack, just a small correction:

Belle Epoch Liqueurs is the worldwide distributor of Jade Liqueurs products, not just USA. JL's products will not be sold in Thailand, so there will not be any 'gray' marketing. We are organized and chartered for export only. We are a licensed, registered and taxed business and we are 100% legal and do not do business with unlicensed importers/resellers or smugglers. Sorry, Betty.

You have correctly surmised that BEL is not BEI, they are two seperate and distinct entities. To the best of my knowledge one person owns 100% of BEL, and it is neither myself, nor is it Justin.

By Bob_chong on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 10:39 am: Edit

Don:

Don't ask me why, but you remind me of a guy around these parts about fifteen years ago who used to own several gun stores called, you guessed it, "Don's Guns." He did his own commercials on local TV and was wonderful. His motto was, "Remember--I don't want to make money: I just love to sell guns!"

I have no delusions of you entertaining similar motivations for your business dealings--I just thought you'd enjoy that.

BC

By Tabreaux on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 10:36 am: Edit

Ok everyone, this thread is going nowhere, and serves only to piss people off needlessly. Buy what you want, from wherever or whomever you want. Everyone here is well aware of the various options.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 10:33 am: Edit

blackjack, thanks for your well intentioned remarks.

I am an officer and shareholder of a Thai corporation called Jade Liqueurs. I am not a partner of Justin or BEI. Nor is Jade Liqueurs.

As you surmise there is an entity with a similar name to BEI, that belongs to Ted. The coincidence has to do with nothing more than that 'Belle Epoch" is a phrase dear to all absintheurs.

As I have no firsthand knowledge of what participation anyone but Ted might have in that entity, I'll have to beg off. Anyone who wants to spin fairy tales about 'indirect business relationships' out of whole cloth, well, is a lying sack of shit.

Is that an ad hominum attack? I'd say it's a defense. Betty has called me a liar and a conspirator, and an all around nasty guy. Shrug. I call her one of the least attractive human beings of any gender I have ever seen an image of. Her dog, actually, was much more appealing.

By Bob_chong on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 10:30 am: Edit

Marc:

For a hippie, you are pretty funny. The first one up the ladder gets to shit on everyone else coming up? O, Pioneers!

I expected a lot better from you. "Bob is a poopy-head," does nothing to refute 300-400% mark-ups, fear-mongering, nor SC's identical replacement policy. Take these one by one and refute them on a factual basis.

Also, are there any testimonials from people who first bought from SC then decided to go with the Elixirs instead, or are all the stories the other way around?

BC

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 10:27 am: Edit

from the portal where I have already responded to this:

"Justin, Your sarcastic remarks confuse readers and hurt people. Freedom involves choice..and intention..what is the intention?"

I wasn't being sarcastic...

"I receive e-mails from people who are AFRAID, yes afraid to post..people who have incredible thoughts."

Too bad, if you don't have the guts to post then don't complain. I get flamed, insulted, and berated all the time...it is part of life.

"I was selling Spanish absinthe over three years before Spirits Corner arrived. They were not and are not my only source."

This doesn't Change the fast that people can get almost every Brand you and I sell from them! Buy them here!

http://www.spiritscorner.com/scriptsing/buscar.asp?K=absinthe

"No foreign source replaces bottles that are taken by Customs"

Yes they do, now that I think about it I know a few people that may have happened too. I will get them to post. spiritscorner does, so does la boheme from what I understand.

"You will soon see evidence from customer's posts..the ones who are not afraid"

A post isn't evidence, a scanned official letter from customs would be nice or atleast something on those lines.

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 10:26 am: Edit

Since I've never lost a bottle of absinthe to customs, I have no idea what Spirits Corner's policy regarding that is, but I do know that many overseas cigar dealers are more than happy to replace shipments lost to customs, so the idea is not unheard of.

Hey, Betty, any chance you might be able to get hold of some Oxygenee? That might well be worth a premium, if we ever figure out if it has A. Absinthium in it.

And to reiterate, I think there is some confusion between Belle Epoch Importers, Justin's company, and Belle Epoch Liqueurs, the US distributors of Jade Liqueurs' products. If all the people involved say there is no relation, I have no reason to doubt them.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 10:21 am: Edit

I'm talking about your La Bleue prices. I could give a rat's ass what you sell Spanish labels for. I dount you have many takers.

I have an 'indirect' business relationship with, among other entities, several governments, but you'd be hard pressed to truthfully say they were partners of mine. Who's lying? You are. I have never met Justin. I have never shaken hands with Justin. I have never entered into a business arrangement with Justin. I don't give a rat's ass how many times you repeat the Big Lie, it isn't true.

I have a business relationship as well as a friendship with Ted Breaux. Period. The rest of my partners are all Thai. As to Justin I respect him, and I like him, and that's more than I can say for you.

Quit spreading your climate of fear. No one is afraiud to post here. FYI I saw the same buzzwords and lies from you on Absinthe Portal, well, no one is afraid to post there, either. Unless they are paralyzed delusional paranoiacs.

By Betina on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 10:06 am: Edit

Mr. Walsh,

My prices for EVERY BOTTLE OF SPANISH ABSINTHE
have been $20 USD less than Justin's for about a
year.

Why lie about your indirect business association
with Justin?

Mr. Walsh, Mr. Chong, Justin,

Your sarcastic remarks confuse readers and hurt
people. Freedom involves choice..and
intention..what is the intention? I receive
e-mails from people who are AFRAID, yes afraid to
post..people who have incredible thoughts. One
customer just told me about the original painting
from which was created the new Deva 70 label.

Justin,

You assume instead of ask. I was selling Spanish
absinthe over three years before Spirits Corner
arrived. They were not and are not my only source.
Nobody is my only source. I have at least two
sources from every country.

NO foreign source replaces bottles that are taken
by Customs..It is not the foreign source's
responsiblity either..it is our country stopping
the transaction. You will soon see evidence from
customer's posts..the ones who are not afraid....
Betina Elixirs..........

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 10:01 am: Edit

Betty,

You should come to the New Orleans gathering, it will be fun!

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 09:11 am: Edit

First of all, I don't see any reason for anyone to be making ad hominem attacks. If the facts are insufficent to plead your case, your case is not very strong.

I've never bought from Betina. I consider her mark-up far too high, considering the samll risk involved, especially when the transaction is being made between connoisseurs and (ostensibly) friends. In the realm of cigars (some of which are significantly less legal than absinthe), the markup among amateur traders runs about 50-100%. Certainly, you can find people who will charge you more, but those are usually people who are preying on the uninformed.

That being said, many people seem perfectly willing to pay Betina's prices. I know I pay more to order cigars from a particular English dealer because of the level of service they provide. (Their prices are, BTW, the lowest in the UK; prices in the UK are just higher than other places, especially those whose currency is tied to the Euro.) I predict, however, that Betty will have to consider lowering her prices as the market becomes more diverse, or she will not be able to compete.

I do find it curious that at least twice now, Betty has insisted that Justin is somehow in cahoots with Ted and Don. I suspect this is due to confusion due to the similarity between the names of the two seperate companies.

The important thing here is to make sure people are informed, to make sure that people know what they are paying for. As long as consumers know that they have the choice of ordering from SC and paying much less, or ordering from Betina and being sure their order will arrive quickly and without incident, then they will make their own choices and the market will decide.

See? I can sound like a Libertarian sometimes too...

And for the record, Justin has been known to inflate his profit margin in his time too.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 09:09 am: Edit

PS

"Another domestic vendor,Justin (Chrysippv), is
in partnership with Walsh and Breaux. He does not
seem to be the verbal target."

Don't cry, anyone on this fourum knows I flamed and slammed more than once on this fourm. This isn't a pity party.

"Another domestic vendor,Justin (Chrysippv), is
in partnership with Walsh and Breaux."

Please, stop assuming concerning about Jade Liquers. It doesn't go anywhere and the pity party stuff isn't cute. Bottom Line - I am not working with Mr. Walsh.

The paranoia is cute, it has a very nice cloak and dagger feel. When do I get my silenced PP7?

By Tabreaux on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 08:58 am: Edit

I think some confusion here results from failing to realize that every buyer has options, and Betty is certainly one. She is not the equivalent of a ticket scalper and should not be viewed as such. With a scalper or other low-life scalawag, the buyer has no option, and the prices certainly reflect that. Some persons choose not to import an item which is technically viewed as contraband. Some of these persons (some of whom I know) have plenty of money, so it isn't an issue. They would rather avoid any hassle and just get what they want, when they want it, from someone inside these borders. If it weren't for Betty, they would have no alternate option to obtain such objects of historical reference.

Speaking for myself, I have several options to get certain things. Nevertheless, Betty has helped me several times. I realize that like Levi's jeans in Japan or Harley Davidsons in Europe, some items cost more on continents outside of their origin. That's just part of business, and where an 'unofficial' product like La Bleue is concerned, it's a wonder that it is available here at all, at any cost.....not to mention one that has been selected from others as a better example at that.

I'm just trying to cast an objective perspective here.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 08:57 am: Edit

-this is a cut and paste reply-

"Yet, Justin berates my Swiss by saying it has 4 herbs and is antiseptic? I have the list of the 11 plus herbs and so does Breaux."

I was being facetious, and for that I am sorry, although honestly I have tasted over a dozen la bleues and that is the extent of the flavor. I am sure it can contain that many Herbs, can they be tasted only slightly. This is why the Swiss don't color their absinthe, it is difficult and if done improperly will ruin an entire batch of absinthe.

Betty's la bleue, Doc's, mine, and every other distilled from the Jura down to the Doubs uses a generic recipe that has been passed around like that of good alfredo sauce. I have seen dozens of la bleue, blanc, verte, haut-doubs, l'elixir, and all the other names and they are more or less basically the same. As far as it being antisetic...that is not a bad thing, it is a sign of good quality. If you read my review of both Vintage Pernod Fils and Pernod Edouard you will notice similar remarks. NOT at ALL to put la bluue in the ball park of vintage absinthes...just apples and oranges.

Final word...if you have 150-200 dollars to spend on absinthe buy a la bleue....Betty's is great, so is Doc's, and I think mine is too. Betty provides a great service to people by the products she carries, I respect her dedication to these products and I think that she has done a great part in reviving the absinthe culture.

"It tastes like licorice silk."

I certainly hope not, licorice is both pungent and overly sweet (ie Pastis). Your absinthe (like all such varities) is anise flavored which is a word of difference. Drink some Pernod (try not to gag) and see what I mean.

"I and some of my customers have had shipments confiscated by the post office, Customs and FDA."

Untill I see hard proof of this I can't beleive it. The law doesn't ban personal importation in small quanities. NO claim made on this thread has ever been proven or vouched for. I know dozens of people that obtain absinthe from non-dometic sources and have had no problem and Spirits Corner DOES replace broken bottles no questions asked.

You would know Betty, where do people think we get our Spanish absinthe?

"I carry all 9 Spanish brands."

so do I and so does www.SpiritsCorner.com for much less than we do(excepting Tunel which is a joke).

http://www.spiritscorner.com/scriptsing/buscar.asp?K=absinthe

you can get Spanish absinthe for around 25 bucks a bottle if you order two or more bottles...it is where Betty and I get it from and we seem to be ok
I personaly will not sell Spanish absinthe after the Christmas holidays...in light of superior products on the horizon it is just foolish to sell an absinthe that is so simple and untraditional.

"Plus, I now offer DEVA 70 and LA FEE"

Speaking of which I may want to get a bottle of La Fee..

"My regular customers know my quality of service and products."

Cerntainly, I have had items sent to me by Betty, she is a very honest and upright dealer.

"Why does jealousy, resentment and just plain mean and lying comments fill these posts?"

Good question...the internet gives people an freedom to say what they think depsite the fact that it may offend. It has always been like that and always will. We just have to get used to it

- J

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 07:30 am: Edit

Pikkle, I hope you get your way. But like the guy said when lost in Burma: It's a jungle out there!

Obviously, new absinthe brands are proliferating, and prices are going down not up. This is good for the consumer. Not so good for some middlepersons, esp ones who are less than commercially savvy, and pay far too much for what they buy to resell. Their incompetence at negotiation would be of no consequence except that it directly results in the end user paying $200 for a $30 bottle of La Bleue because they paid $70-$80 for it and then amortized their RT airfare into a suitcase full.

So some of these people are falling back on the 'fear factor' to prop themselves up. Buy from me! or the Feds Will Be Pounding On Your Door. Well, sorry, that just doesn't happen, it's bogus, it's deceitful, and it's insulting to everyone's intelligence. I just wish they'd cease and desist.

This Forum is FULL of people who buy absinthe from abroad, often and regularly, for their own use. Some hand carry it in and some get it mailed in and some do both at same time. NONE have had seizures, although I daresay most have had to pay tax when bringing in more than 1-2 bottles. If such seizures had happened we would have all heard about it -- there's no conspiracy of silence on this forum.

Now she says we will start hearing about it. Well, the posters will need to be credible and not never-before-heard from lurkers or they just won't be believed in the face of our shared experience to the contrary.

By Pikkle on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 06:40 am: Edit

I just find such bantering needless on this
type of forum... this should be educational,
entertaining and enlightening for all... talk
about something that would turn off a would
be absinthe drinker but to view some of the
posts I've seen... I guess it's all the same no
matter where you go... I'm just in it to have a
good time...

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 04:27 am: Edit

Pikkle, the same criticism can be levelled at Marc's vitriol toward Bob Chong. It takes two to dance this dance. Your rephrasing of a Rodney King "Why can't we all just get along?" is pc but, marc enjoys scrapping on the Forum. So do I, if I have a worthy adversary.

I haven't made any remarks about Betty for a good long while. To do so would have been repititious and, as others have taken up the fight, uncalled for. I really don't care about Betty one way or the other at this point. However she does persist in claiming the existance of a triumvirate that doesn't exist and never did. So occasionally, like today, I address that issue.

By Pikkle on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 03:55 am: Edit

Well, I say, if you don't like them, don't buy from
her... I never go to one store for all of my
groceries, some have better prices than
others on the same items. Some also carry
items the others don't or one may carry
something exclusively and even though I may
not be happy paying as much as I do for it, the
joy of being able to obtain it at all out weighs
all of that... it all comes down to whatever it's
worth to you. If prices are too high, the market
will determine that when others are selling for
less. I pay higher prices sometimes because
I like the service somewhere better or
because it's easier for me to get something
there or because they have the walls painted
orange... I don't think such animosity is due
merely because of higher prices, that's a wee
bit too petty for my tastes. We are all on this
forum for a reason, we all have something in
common here, why don't we just act like it?

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 03:49 am: Edit

Marc,

What makes Justin less 'mercenary' than Betty is that he charges less than she does. Now, if he sold at cost, he wouldn't be mercenary at all, would he?

Bob has a right to express his opinion, after all. He has no commercial axe to grind. He's a consumer and he doesn't like Betty's prices. Well, neither do I. And I said so long before I got into the business.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 03:44 am: Edit

PS: the same applies to Bob Chong.

Really, Betty, you are a trifle paranoid. Do you imagine that Bob Chong is out to control the forum? Maybe he's my partner too?

By Pikkle on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 03:43 am: Edit

I had the pleasure of doing business with
Betty for the first time less than a year ago. I
was apprehensive of course knowing not
much of La Bleue absinthe or most absinthes
at that point but she helped me a long with
some really good communication and I ended
up buying several bottles of her La Bleue after
she made me feel pretty damn comfortable
with the whole situation. To top it off, she had
the bottles on the way to me based merely on
my word that I had sent payment to her. Mind
you, we had never met before, never done
business before and my word was good
enough for her. I can think of no other person
or business on the net or elsewhere that is
this trusting. I just bought several more
bottles of La Bleue from her for the Christmas
holidays to share with some friends and I can
say it is just as good this time as it was the
last, if not better. I'm no longer a na´ve
beginnig absinthe drinker, I've weeded
through which I consider worthy for my tastes
and I'll say, my favorite is still Betina's La
Bleue.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 03:40 am: Edit

Betty:

For the record: This corporation has no business relationship, much less partnership, with Justin or BEI. Nor do I personally.

However, if it will discomfit you, I'll be delighted to seek just such a relationship with Justin. He is a very bright fellow, Ted thinks very highly of him, and so do many people on this forum. I'd welcome his involvement in any way, shape or form.

Thanks for inspiring me.

Don Walsh
Jade Liqueurs Co.,Ltd.
Bangkok

By Marc on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 01:30 am: Edit

bob,

Does the fact that Justin is a contributor to the forum and a congenial guy make him less mercenary
than you've accused Betty of being? Talk about rationalization. You are a hypocrite.

By Marc on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 01:24 am: Edit

A Betty story:

When I first started posting here a couple of years ago, I made contact with Betty. We exchanged a half dozen e-mails and that was it. Out of the blue, she gave me a call and said she was coming to New York City and would I like to get together. Of course, I said. A few weeks later we met in Manhattan. She came bearing a small bottle of La Bleue, which she gave to me. She asked for nothing in return, though I did give her a magic potion from China. That was my introduction to the generosity and sweetness of Betty. Yes, I am aware she makes a tidy profit on
selling absinthe, but so what? Her customers aren't complaining. In fact, they rave about her
swift and courteous service. So, where's the problem?

Betty's a friend of mine. She's a good person. Anybody who says otherwise, can go fuck themselves. Which, in Bob's case, is probably the only fucking he's gonna get.

By Marc on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 01:10 am: Edit

bob,

Other than being a longwinded blowhard, what have you done for the absinthe community? At least Betty has delivered the goods. For the past 4 years, she has introduced hundreds of people to
the pleasures of absinthe. She went to Spain, met with Federico and helped him open up the American market. She went to Switzerland and made contacts within a very small circle in an effort to bring La Bleue to America. This took time, money and guts to pull off. Bob, you have done nothing other than pontificate and criticize. Betty is not merely a seller of absinthe, she is a pioneer and adventurer. You are a MASTURBATOR.

Justin deserves credit as well for being ahead
of the curve and turning many of us on to the pleasures of the green fairy. POWER TO THE PIONEERS. FUCK THE WHINING HOARDS.

By Bob_chong on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 11:40 pm: Edit

1. I am the original person who brought Spanish
and Swiss absinthe to the USA and Canada.

So this entitles you to extortionist mark-ups? Interesting rationalization.

2. I and some of my customers have had shipments
confiscated by the post office, Customs and FDA.

Spiritscorner offers free replacement and still maintains prices 25% of yours. Where's your competitive advantage?

4.Another domestic vendor,Justin (Chrysippv), is
seem to be the verbal target

Apples and oranges. First, Justin is an actual contributor to this forum and all around congenial guy. Second, his BEI site is open for all: no mysterious "email me for prices" rot. What's with the mystery? Who's behind the curtain? Third, the BEI site does not rely on fear mongering as its marketing tactic. The connation of your service is much different. He says in the BG, "US source ensuring no customs issues", which is fairly neutral. Compare this to: "US source therefore NO risk with Customs or vanishing bottles for the buyer." A child can see the difference between the two.

Sorry about the name calling, but if the shoe fits...

I hate to see newbies come here and get suckered into buying from you when they could get the same exact stuff for a tiny fraction of the price elsewhere. The BG could be a lot more useful in this regard (IMO).

BC

By Betina on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 11:01 pm: Edit

I write this to clarify some issues for new and
experienced Forum readers:

1. I am the original person who brought Spanish
and Swiss absinthe to the USA and Canada.

2. I and some of my customers have had shipments
confiscated by the post office, Customs and FDA.
Several of these customers will be posting their
experience in the next few weeks.

3. My prices for Spanish absinthe are no more
expensive than any other domestic vendor. Yet
oddly, I am the one called names like "charlatan",
and "desert leech". I do not read of any customers
calling me a charlatan, and Mr. Chong, no leeches
exist in the desert.

4.Another domestic vendor,Justin (Chrysippv), is
seem to be the verbal target of Mr. Chong or Mr.
Walsh. Strange, except it is obvious who attempts
to "control" the forum. Yet, Justin, on the Portal
site, berates Swiss La Bleue by saying it has 4
herbs and is antiseptic? I have the list of the 11
plus herbs and so does Breaux. I gave it to him.
It tastes like licorice silk. I guarantee it.

5. My regular customers know my quality of service
and products. I carry all 9 Spanish brands. Plus,
I now offer DEVA 70 and LA FEE (though
back-ordered), NEITHER of which are available to
the USA from any OTHER domestic or foreign vendor.

6.There is enough room for all the vendors and
posters..It is sad to me that the cruel remarks
made on this forum have now eliminated some of the
most creative and eloquent minds from this
forum..they simply were repulsed and rightly chose
to put their energy and wisdom elsewhere.
Why does jealousy, resentment and just
plain mean and lying comments fill these posts??
It is not elegant, truthful or professional....

Betina Elixirs....

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation