Can someone describe the taste of wormwood?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Can someone describe the taste of wormwood?
By Pikkle on Monday, January 01, 2001 - 01:56 pm: Edit

Don't worry a thing about SC... they are so
good it's out of this world... I've had shipments
get to me in as little as 7 days, and that's from
the time of the order! Mostly it was about 10
days total time. I've been more than happy
with their service as have most other forum
dwellers I believe. As for the La Bleue, it's
quite yummy... I can't do it any sort of poetic
justice so I won't even try. As for the hangover,
I have my fair share during the year too so for
me not to have one on New Years day is a
treat... now I never said I wasn't groggy,
sleeping on a floor half off a floor riser is not a
comfortable proposition. I'm hoping strange
pics of me and naked people do not show up
on the net but I wouldn't be suprised. Have no
fear, your absinthe is near.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, January 01, 2001 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Not me. Not that I wouldn't and haven't, but I didn't drink a drop last night. I am the urban hermit. I have spent the large part of the last two weeks hibernating: movies, exercise, dreams, and solitude. Past years of alienation from my family has led me to create some holiday rituals of my own, and they are proving to be good ones. Aside from a few brief rhetorical struggles via internet, I have found that the holidays can be wondrously restorative if one just holes up and ignores the world for a while. I feel healthy and restored... or maybe just stored.

K.

By Simbai on Monday, January 01, 2001 - 01:37 pm: Edit

For that price I should hope you'd be hangover free! Though it does sound like quite a treat. This is such a strange ritual we have. Suffering the first day of every year. Last new years day I was a wreck until about 10:30 at night. And the last thing I remembered was lighting a sparkler at midnight. But asking after my behavior, it appears that no one noticed how fucked up I was because they were all just as bad. And one unfortunate soul was making a mess all over the bathroom walls and floor. Which probably was a distraction for whatever antics I was up to. Why, oh why do we feel the desperate need to overdo it every new years eve? If we could black out the whole year, it might be worth it. Now THAT would be starting fresh. Ah well, I don't suppose I'll stop. All my friends are curious about the absinthe, too. So maybe we'll make a night of it after I figure out what I'm doing. I don't think SC's even shipped it yet. They confirmed my order, but no updates. I suppose they're recovering today as well...

By Pikkle on Monday, January 01, 2001 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Except for a few of the true devotees or chronic
alcoholics, no one probably wants to think
about absinthe or anything right now after last
night. I myself polished off a half-bottle of
Betina's La Bleue and ended up passing out
on the floor at the party where I was. Good
thing I was among friends. The amazing thing
was, I woke up with virtually no hangover
whereas for all intents and purposes, my
head should have been exploding. That's one
thing I like about absinthe, usually no
hangover or very little.

By Simbai on Monday, January 01, 2001 - 12:28 pm: Edit

I agree. Yum! Although I was just trying to get a feel for the sweet/dry factor. Right now my anticipation is at an all time low, though. I drank so much champagne last night I can hardly think about alcohol anymore. I notice the forum is a little slow today... |;(

By Pikkle on Monday, January 01, 2001 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Good because I love bourbon and was about
to go out looking for Jim Beam Red. Maker's
Mark is much more preferable to Jim Beam
anyway.

By Simbai on Monday, January 01, 2001 - 09:58 am: Edit

I meant Johnnie Walker (oops). I'm so glad that millennium is over....

By Simbai on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 08:33 am: Edit

So it may taste dry to people because of the high alcohol content mixed with the predominant star anise flavor. Which sounds to me like it would have that "extract" quality, probably in an aftertaste. But, on the other hand it will be sweet in the mouth for the very same reasons. The alcohol changes to glucose (right? maybe?) with your spit and the anise naturally has a sweet taste. Putting the actual sugar content aside, that is. I'm guessing it's not as sweet as Yukon Jack (please, god). But sweeter than Bombay Sapphire, or...that's not a good example at all. Perhaps about as sweet as Jim Beam Red Label. Do any of you drink anything else, or am I speaking heathen gibberish? I think I can glean the thing from your different opinions. I will let you know if I am suprised. But even your arguing tells me something of the flavor.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 07:44 am: Edit

From my tasting of Segarra it is not by far a dry absinthe. I got to sample some vintage CF Berger absinthe which retained lots of it's bitterness and was very dry, this is also prevelant in Pernod Fils and E. Pernod.

I look for it when I tastes modern absinthes and have yet to find it in spanish absinthe, although some French absinthe has a slight dryness to it.

By Pikkle on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 07:41 am: Edit

I believe it all depends on the cocoa, sugar
and buttermilk content. I prefer less sweet
and these tend to the bitter-sweet chocolates
which I think contain more cocoa and less
sugar. I'm not a huge fan of chocolate anyway.

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 07:35 am: Edit

The bitterness and sweetness of various chocolates are independent properties. There are dark chocolates that are just as sweet as milk chocolate.

K.

By Pikkle on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 07:31 am: Edit

Hmm... i don't know, in certain contexts bitter
and not sweet can be interchangeable. My
favorite is bitter-sweet chocolate, not as sweet
as milk chocolate, can't stand milk chocolate.
Yes, I've tried tonic, hate it to be honest but I
love a good dry pale ale, especially IPA. And
with that point of reference in mind, MM is not
dry to me now, just not sweet. I polished off a
good half bottle last night so it's still quite
fresh in my mind. I still don't know if I'd
classify Segarra as being dry, perhaps dryer
than others but not exactly dry. But what does
a steelworker from Detroit know, give me
another Stroh's and put some Bob Seger on
the juke box and I'll be happy... heh.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 04:27 am: Edit

Dry does not mean bitter. Dry means not sweet. Bitter means bitter. Sour means sour. Something can be sweet and sour (the Chinese know how). That isn't bitter.

You want bitter, try tonic (quinine water.)

You want sour, try anything acid. Lenon juice. Vinegar.

MM tastes like star anise, because that is about all there is to taste. Sweetish anise taste, NOT licorice, and little else.

Licorice is VERY VERY VERY sweet. It is used in some pastis but in essentially NO absinthe, e.g., it is mentioned in very few recipes. I have a kilo of licorice root. I don't use it.

By Tabreaux on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 01:31 am: Edit

Regarding the specifics of our products, you'll just have to wait and see.

By Pikkle on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 06:29 pm: Edit

Yes, Don, I can't say my judgement is all that
clear at this point as I am trying to kill off this
MM right now... I guess my definition of dry is
bitter which is incorrect... I use my taste of
wines as frame of reference and that too is
limited so ultimately, I'm talking out of my ass.
I truly look forward to your products.

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 05:52 pm: Edit

The problem is, if you guys are arguing that MM 55 is 'dryer' than Segarra, then you have a different frame of reference on dryness than I do (and I think Ted will agree). So I really can't comment till we are singing off the same sheet of music. By our lights MM isn't dry at all. And Segarra is, by all accounts, the dryest of the Spanish.

Ted is holding a .44 to my skull and obliging me not to comment about the products anyway, so I will ask him here and now to comment himself on the question of proof/degree that you raised.

By Grimbergen on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 04:25 pm: Edit

Speaking of chewing on fresh licorice root, it is something you should all try. you've never tasted anything so sweet in your life. Takes forever to get the taste out of your mouth. I know some quasi-hippies who chew it like gum.

While we are on the topic of tastes, another must-taste on my taste list are the first runnings from an absinthe still. Fucking unbelievable. Try a tiny sip of it straight. The taste and the sensation on the tongue is amazing. Cinderella-esque type experience: the flavors drift in the door, do a gentle waltz with your taste buds, and then vanish. It feels like it evaporates right off your tongue (and probably is).

Ted, I am sure you can do it better justice. Please do try. And damn it man, make it poetic!

Grim

By Pikkle on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 04:16 pm: Edit

Blackjack... I'm drinking MM 55 right now
without sugar... it does seem to be a little dryer
than Deva or Segarra but I think this is also in
part due to the one dimensional nature of the
flavoring... anise. While I like the flavor of
anise quite a bit (one of my favorite teas is
Tazo Spice) I also enjoy something more
complex. If I've been drinking something else
and then switch to MM, it's almost unbearable
to me without sugar.

By _blackjack_ on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 04:11 pm: Edit

The main reason I want to add sugar to MM is to compensate for the high alcohol content, not because it's particularly dry.

Ted and/or Don:
Am I right in thinking that your stuff is both dryer and higher in proof than most anything else out there?

By Pikkle on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Well, perhaps for me, the alcohol overwhelms
all other aromas. To me, MM is the least
sweet of the Spanish brands, the only one I
add sugar to. I can drink Deva and Segarra
without sugar and they are still sweeter to me
than MM with sugar. Perhaps chemically, it
has the highest sugar content, dunno, just
doesn't taste sweet. My op/ed.

By Tabreaux on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 07:00 am: Edit

MM not sweet? It is very sweet.

You just haven't tasted a dry product yet. When you do, MM will likely seem sickly sweet in comaprison. When dry products (e.g. authentic) are sugared, they aren't even as sweet as MM is out the bottle. Had products like MM been around way back (they were not), the sugar ritual never would have been invented.

By Pikkle on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 06:00 am: Edit

MM doesn't seem very sweet to me... in fact,
it's the only absinthe I use sugar in.
Personally, I'm not a fan of Serpis, not so
much because of the color but for some
reason, it's tastes musty to me. Maybe it's the
news of larger amounts of wormword that's all
the buzz these last few day. It's worth trying
though, as are all the products, at least once.
How can you make a comeback if you haven't
been anywhere? Goodluck, look forward to
your reviews.

By Artemis on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 06:00 am: Edit

Simbai, the flavor of anise in La Fee and at least one bootleg Swiss absinthe is so subdued and balanced with other flavors, you'll barely notice it.

As to "woody", what's been referred to here as woody, I used to think was an aspect of herbal ingredients, but I now recognize to be a fault in distillation technique. Woody is not a good thing in absinthe; beware of it.

By Thegreenimp on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 05:57 am: Edit

If you want a similiar type of ready made confection to chew on, you can still get packages of Sen-Sen.
Sen-Sen has been around since the 1890's and can still be found here and there, made by F&F foods.
Their website is: http://www.fffoods.com
Sen-Sen tastes like a combination of anise and other floral flavors,and the anise is not overpowering, kind of interesting flavor.
Regards
Jay

By Simbai on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 05:56 am: Edit

Haaahaahaaha...I'm so sorry I brought it up now. I can eat licorice jelly beans if I have to...But I don't like jelly beans... ; )
You're right about the fennel. I forgot. But still, I kind of like the Anise taste in that stuff. And I do use star anise in spiced cider, but it's mixed in with so much other stuff...
I guess I have my answer about less anisey absinthes, though. I will try Segarra. I'm leery of Sebor because I've heard such awful things about Czech absinthes, though. Where can I get La Bleue? (That is, when I can afford it.)
For goodness sakes, I really should just wait and try it before I go shopping for something else anyway. I can typically tolerate a licorice flavor if it's mixed with other things. But I still think that licorice and anise are different flavors. Very, very similar but not the same. Anise seems woodier to me. But then, I've never chewed on fresh licorice root.
Anyway, I feel very silly trying to mince the flavor of something I've never tasted. Is MM very sweet? Has anyone ever tried the pink Serpis?

By Perruche_verte on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 02:55 am: Edit

Yes, if you want to spend $120 to get some from a domestic reseller, there's La Fee. But then you might as well spend $150 and get a La Bleue, unless you have a friend in the UK who will order a bottle of La Fee there (for around $80, I think?) and ship it to you. Prices are a little too steep for me at this point; I'm just waiting for Ted Breaux to release his absinthe.

I think the Indian restaurants I've been to served a mixture of anise candy and fennel seeds. Fennel is tasty; it's not the same thing as aniseed or star anise. I think both Deva and Segarra contain fennel also.

You certainly could try sipping Mari Mayans neat, but you might regret it unless you have a tremendous tolerance for alcohol; remember, it's 140 proof! I'd go at least half-and-half and add more mix from there until you find your level.

By Tabreaux on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 01:38 am: Edit

The different sources of 'anise' are not created equal, and if you don't like licorice jelly beans (which I hate), then you probably won't care much for the majority of Spanish products. FWIW, that is not the original flavor of absinthe anyway. Segarra is a bit different, not because it doesn't contain that very sweet flavor of star anise, but rather because it is offset by an aromatic flavor.

For purposes of reference, La Fee is a much better product, but is difficult to get to U.S. shores. Likewise, (as already mentioned) Sebor Absinth is something to try. It is a bit thin, but does not contain much anise.

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 01:33 am: Edit

Ironically, you picked what is by all accounts the most anise-dominated absinthe: Mari Mayans. I liked it alright as an iced soda concotion, but it had so much anise it made my tongue numb.

K.

By Simbai on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 01:04 am: Edit

Maybe I should qualify what I've said about Anise, especially in response to Perruche Verte. I still haven't tried the Absinthe yet, so who knows? Maybe I'll love it. I think the lure of the forbidden is a good a temptation as you can get. Not to mention my desire to try different enethogens. As for anise...I know that I hate Anisette, (that supposedly anise flavored liquer) because it tastes like licorice and I can't stand black licorice. HOWEVER, I have eaten anise seeds and enjoy them. You know that breath freshening mess of candy and seeds you get after eating at an Indian restaurant? That's about 1/2 anise and I love it. So I figure that if it tastes like Anise, I may like it. If it tastes like licorice, I may hate it.

"Of course, proportions are important and good absinthe will have other herbs."

This is what I'm banking on.
But I think I will have to try that Segarra. Especially if I'm disappointed with the MM. Though I somehow doubt I will be. Thank you, Anatomist, for the tip. I'll try it that way. First I think I'll try it neat--just a little bit so I know how much I'll wish to dilute. Unless you all think that's a stupid idea. I look forward to trying all the different ways to prepare it. I like the melting ice cube idea someone somewhere mentioned. Oh, I'm so excited!! Naturally, I'll be posting my first experience...

By Pikkle on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 02:42 pm: Edit

Simbai

Yes, I Must agree with Anatomist1 that
Segarra is probably the best of the
commercial brands now available... the
Lasala and the Herring are both more citrusy
in flavor which I don't prefer but might be good
for you because the anise isn't so
predominant. I don't sweeten any of my
absinthes to be honest, prefer dryer myself
and mix them quite strong... but yes, it can be
a shock to the system the flavor of this drink...
it really does grow on you and after you get
used to it, you don't want to drink anything
else, especially when you've had some really
good absinthes.

By Perruche_verte on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 02:42 pm: Edit

It's rather silly to go recommending a drink I've never tried, but from what people describe here, you might enjoy Sebor Absinth. It seems to be regarded as the best of a bad lot -- Czech absinthes being less than highly recommended -- but isn't too heavy on the anise and has gotten some good reviews here. Try www.sebor-absinth.com or www.seborabsinth.com for pricing and order information.

Welcome, Simbai, and I don't mean to slam you in particular, but this brings up a puzzling question: Why is it that people who aren't fond of anise get interested in absinthe?

I guess I can't relate because I've been an anise fiend since I was very little. I usually settled for black licorice candy, because there really aren't that many sweets with a natural anise flavor here.

But even the most elementary and misleading texts on absinthe, dictionary definitions, etc., will tell you that absinthe is a liquor with wormwood and anise. Other herbs may or may not be mentioned, but those two always come up. They are part of every absinthe recipe.

Doesn't that say "DANGER" to people who don't like anise?

Of course, proportions are important and good absinthe will have other herbs. Segarra is quite well-rounded and an excellent drink. Try a bottle with your next SC order. It's about $45 per liter with shipping if you order two or more bottles.

The budget absinthes are the Spanish brands from Spirits Corner and except for Segarra, they are all fairly heavy on the anise. More complex absinthes are pricier. The soon-to-be-released Jade Liqueurs products are rumored to put all others to shame, at a quoted price of $100 with shipping.

By Anatomist1 on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 10:29 am: Edit

I didn't think I liked anise either until I started drinking Deva. It grows on you. I still don't like Deva or MM mixed with just cold water. Not cold enough, or something. Try carbonated water and/or ice cubes for a while until you get the hang of it.

I don't find Segarra anisey at all, and I like it with just water. Many here agree that it is the best out of all the Spanish and Czech brands.

K.

By Simbai on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 09:21 am: Edit

Hey! I'm a virgin for the fairy. I've been reading and reading the forum and the webring.... Finally I purchased a bottle of Mari Mayans 70 and a Serpis (because it sounded interesting and came with a glass, which I guess I'll need). On special at SC! My question is this (brace yourselves) I don't really like the taste of Anise. I'm aware that Mari Mayans is very anisey but I needed that green to be my first experience. I'm very curious, but is there anything out there OF GOOD QUALITY that isn't predominantly anise? I haven't gotten either of these yet, and I'm sure I can appreciate them so long as the quality is good. But is there anything herbier, woodier that doesn't have such a concentration on anise? I typically like sweeter things, but that may not count. For one thing I can always add sugar. Also, I like my vermouth dry and I understand they're related herbally. Please give me some suggestions. I should also note that I'm not a wealthy woman, so $200 bottles are out of the question. Thanks for any input!

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 09:25 am: Edit

Don't know about Wormwood oil but actually fresh wormwood leaves taste alright, a bit bitter but ok for a bit of a chew.

Hobgoblin

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Pass the durian.

By Treeman5 on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 07:18 pm: Edit

hey mine's busted, smells like goat's ass

By Tavis on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 07:08 pm: Edit

Aha! That's why I like absinthe so much, knew there had to be a reason.

By Celithrand on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Wormwood kind of taste, like open ass smells...

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 07:24 am: Edit

Serpis is very oily in texture, and I suspect is probably entirely (or almost entirely) macerated. I don't recall if I tasted any absinthium in it, but I'll taste it again.

By Perruche_verte on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 05:53 am: Edit

Have you gotten a bottle of Segarra recently? I think he must have gotten a new printer cartridge or something -- it's the same design but much sharper and the colors are brighter. I like it!

BTW, I don't think I taste wormwood that strongly in Segarra, though it's my favorite so far. I do taste it, weirdly enough, in Serpis (Hobgoblin, you've made a convert) -- I smell it quite strongly upfront, and it smells just like the extract (perhaps it's added as an oil?).

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 03:17 am: Edit

Very Few of the vintage labels overtly said "absinthe" on them...most just a reference on the top banner. I like the Segarra label it is very quaint, that ugly Pegasus on Lasala is my turnoff. I think thus far the best modern label is on the Oxygenee or Versinthe. Although the old Montana label is great, the new one with the UPC on the center is just plain tacky..

Best Old label, I like Pernod Fils, and Pernod E (ever seen the detail in that label, there is a sailboat, and waldo is over there behind the cabin..). Although I think some of the early Spanish labels were cute too, favorite label of all time the Absinthe Suisse label with the fly on it..

take care

J

By Petermarc on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 03:10 am: Edit

don, i'll keep this in mind when i head east...
i couldn't identify the taste when i first had it because it was so unexpected in a port-like wine and my french friend who found it in corsica didn't know what the flavor was...it is almost impossible to stop drinking it...haven't tried the eau-de-vie yet...

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 02:54 am: Edit

Segarra should change their label. When I serve the uninitiated, I bring out Lasala because it says "Absinthe" on the label. I'd rather serve them Segarra, but appearances do matter.

By Tavis on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 02:18 am: Edit

Bob:

I like the Segarra packaging too. I suppose sometime in the future I'd love to be able to offer products like this to people, but then I guess a small scale producer like Sr Segarra maight have to sacrifice quality for volume. We DEFINTELY wouldn't want that to happen!

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 02:13 am: Edit

The wine would be way too low in alcohol to keep thujone in solution. The eau de vie, low but not impossibly so. I'd like a try these. As a (half) Sicilian the Corsicans are sort of cousins of mine. And I used to have a Corsican acquantance, sadly no longer among us, who had a very interesting career indeed.

By Bob_chong on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 02:10 am: Edit

Tavis:

I kinda like the Segarra packaging. It's charming, like Julian Segarra himself.

Fuck the masses--let them drink Hills and MM and whatever else they want--and leave the Segarra for us.

BC

By Petermarc on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 02:06 am: Edit

the corsicans make a tasty apéritif with cedar
berries (called myrthe, i believe)of about 17%, one like a vintage port and one more golden sweet, also an eau-de-vie of around 45%...i guess i'll have to experiment with that, too...what does it smell and taste like? uhh...absinthe?

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 01:45 am: Edit

Cedar sawdust burgers? Only slightly more repulsive than soyburgers and chock full of thujone if the dust is fresh from the mill!

Or mix cedar sawdust with Cambridge Diet Plan stawberry malteds...

You get the idea.

By Tavis on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 01:44 am: Edit

I must say I absolutely love Segarra, but aesthetically the bottle is not very impressive. I was thinking to myself how interesting it would be for someone in the UK to start distributing some good Spanish absinthes (other than MM which at 40 UKP excl. shipping is absurdly expensive)*. Then I thought that I would only be happy if Segarra was distributed as it's my favourite. THEN I thought that distributing Segarra would not be worth it without changing the packaging, because the average person doesn't really want a bottle, no matter how good the contents are, which looks like it came from a cheap'n'cheerful tourist bodega in Torremolinos.

*No doubt this is due to high alcohol duty, which at the present time is something like 19.56 UKP per litre of pure alcohol, so around 14 UKP for MM 70%

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 07:43 am: Edit

And Al Gore would be on our case.

By Admin on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 07:40 am: Edit

Ssshhh, Don. Or you'll have a bunch of rabid teenagers sucking cedar chips.

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 07:15 am: Edit

Try Segarra. It's also available at Spirits Corner. It has a more pronounced wormwood taste than most of the commonly available brands. I like it better than Deva.

By Abramelin on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 04:34 am: Edit

Thanks for all the intersting replies. I'm just going to have to buy couple of bottles of deva or similar in the future and just train my nose and tounge on the falvours.
It is obviously difficult to describe tastes/smells. Thanks again for all of your replies.

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 03:30 am: Edit

Open a cedar chest. The kind your mom has to keep winter clothes in during summer. Take a good whiff. That's thujone. White cedar = thuja. Western red cedar oils: 80% thujone. Don't drink it!

By Tabreaux on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 04:44 pm: Edit

Regarding the Bardouin pastis, I seriously doubt it contains more than a trace of absinthium if it does at all. Otherwise, it wouldn't pass domestic import criteria. Remember, wormwood can refer to any of a good several different plants, none of which are much like absinthium. I will buy a bottle and check it out nonetheless.

By Pataphysician on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Ted, have you tried the Bardouin pastis? I smelled and tasted what I took to be wormwood. Could it be the non-thujone variety? Or a "de-thujoned" AA? Is that technically possible?

I agree, though: Definitely no wormwood in Ricard.

By Tabreaux on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 09:16 am: Edit

Even if Bardouin was correct (which I doubt), it would be present in an undetectable amount, which is far below a threshold of taste. I do not taste so much as one iota of absinthium in Ricard or any other pastis for that matter.

By Abramelin on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 08:27 am: Edit

Interesting. Well it seems it certainly requires a trained nose/taste buds.
I wanted to ask this question for 2 reasons. Firstly, as I said below, to identify absinthium and know when its present.
Secondly, I read some posts down the page a bit, and a forum member by the name of Bardouin, claims some pastis, including one I am familar with (Ricard) contains a.absinthium and is "enough to taste when distilled". I thought there may have been slight chance I've tasted it in Ricard yet been unaware of what I was drinking. I am a newbie to the absinthe culture so if my questions sound a bit stupid, please forgive me.

By Petermarc on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 08:10 am: Edit

the aura of musk is a good analogy...it permeates
the nose and tongue and seems to radiate it's unique scent without being fatiguing like most pastis or heavily anis-based drinks...it can last in the senses for easily an hour or more after you have put it down...try not to drink it straight or set it on fire...i have never had an absinthe that didn't change for the better, bloom like a flower, when water and sugar were added...my tastes, of course...

By Tabreaux on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 08:04 am: Edit

Sebor is obviously bitter, but that upfront flavor is not absinthium.

By Artemis on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 07:19 am: Edit

Wormwood isn't so much a flavor as a smell. If you perceive bitterness in absinthe, be aware it might be there for reasons that have nothing to do with wormwood. Get a bottle of wormwood extract for comparison purposes. In that, the essence is concentrated, as it is in fine absinthe. I don't know if it's even present in Sebor, but it's obvious in good Swiss products, and even more so in good DIY products. It's much less so in Spanish products, and even in La Fee. To me, it's a sexy smell, musk-like. No, it does not smell like musk, but it has that aura. As others have written, it's difficult to describe, but once you know it, you won't forget it.

By Wormwood on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 07:07 am: Edit

Email me your address and for $0.33 I will mail
you some fresh wormwood right off the plant.

Then you can smell and taste it for your self.

P.S. Distilled wormwood (like in absinthe) does
not taste like fresh wormwood. Wormwood is the
second most bitter herb known.

Like Santa the distiller has the magical ability
to seperate the nasty from the nice flavors and
only the nice parts of the flavor go into the
bottle.

By Petermarc on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 04:05 am: Edit

since taste is so general, you really have to trust your nose...pick out the smell that is like nothing you have experienced before, but at the same time, makes you think of an old memory...a peppery-herbal-sage, with a sensation of salt , earth, forest...it is difficult to describe because it is unique and i'm sure there are as many thoughts on its flavor and smell as there are
those who have experienced it...

By Abramelin on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 01:16 am: Edit

Unfortunatly, I have to save these bottles for new years eve...special occasion etc.
What I did want to know, in brief, was how to identify the taste of wormwood, and perhaps a more indepth discription of the actual flavours associated with wormwood/absintium. If I am to judge Absinthe in the future, it would be good to have an understanding of what I'm actually tasting. True it is a little hard describing a taste...

By Marc on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 12:40 am: Edit

abramelin,

break open one of those bottles of Sebor and find out for yourself. Experience is the best teacher.

By Abramelin on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 12:06 am: Edit

I'd just like to know in a paragraph or so what to "taste for" in my recently purcashed bottles of Sebors. I've only had Ricard and Pernod pastis in the past, both of which are heavily anise... I'd really like to know what the wormwood/absinthium taste is. I understand that it is a bitterness, thats about it. I'd like to have a better understanding of this taste. Can anyone write a few lines describing this?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation