Oxygénée review - second attempt

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Oxygénée review - second attempt
By Don_walsh on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 02:25 am: Edit

Delighted to make your acquaintance, m'dear!

By Rachel on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 02:17 am: Edit

Young or old, no anti-satyr bias here. I'm all
for 'em, the randy buggers.

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 03:21 am: Edit

Rachel, regarding satys proferring strong drink, what's your take on jolly but over-the-hill satyrs? All the flirtation, less danger.

By Rachel on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 10:28 pm: Edit

I hope Oxygenee turns out like the other
frenchies. I like the classic label and the flavor
sounds like something worth paying attention
to.

Personally I'm not overly fond of the more
modern labels (though I think la Fee at least
has good design). The new Deva label, for
instance, leaves me uninpsired. It's a
Mucha-esque clipart image over used for
restaurant menus and the like of a satyr
(though I have nothing against those)
proferring up beveraaaage.

By Tabreaux on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 04:51 pm: Edit

Naturally, it is a matter of personal taste. What I was trying to clarify was that Oxygenee and La Fee (at least the early La Fee) are similar to the old products in that they are comparatively dry, which makes the sugar ritual applicable in the same way it used to be. On the other hand, the typical Spanish brands are very sweet to begin with, even moreso than the old brands even following the addition of sugar.

Also, I might point out that the louche of Oxygenee is more in line with the old absinthes as well.

By Petermarc on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 03:44 pm: Edit

the use of sugar is always optional but i find it always creates a better tasting experience for me...i will completely agree that it should not be used in fine alcohols... i would never even think of adding it to a good wine,( the horror stories in asia of drinking coke and pétrus) armagnac, single malt scotch, etc...but, something happens to absinthe that i like alot, that i don't get from drinking it straight or just with water (of course, i love using the spoon)...ted, if you have made an absinthe that absolutely doesn't need a bit of sugar, i will be happy to appreciate it that way...perhaps more of a digestif after dinner... but in an apéritif, i like some sweetness and never felt i was missing
or masking something important...

By Tabreaux on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 11:50 am: Edit

Your observations concur with mine with the exception that I don't seem to recall tasting the pastis-like flavor of licorice root. Maybe the added sugar had something to do with it.

I would like to point out that sugar is a flavor-masking agent, and is/was used as such. Additionally, the use of sugar was always optional. Most modern absinthes (and pastis) are unlike the old absinthes in composition and character. Because of this, the old sugar ritual is largely inapplicable with modern Spanish and pastis-like products (which are very sweet as it is).

May I suggest tasting this product (and other products) with no sugar, preferrably neat....then adding a little water, but no sugar. This is the most revealing way to identify what lies in the taste of these liqueurs.

Nevertheless, this product is undoubtedly an attempt to make something reminscent of the old products.

By Absinthedrinker on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 08:24 am: Edit

OK, second attempt at a review of Oxygénée (using test editor). First off the bottle and label have the appearance of a quality product. The bottle has a cork rather than a metal screw top and the label looks like a close approximation to the original design. The colour is identical to the post-ban product 'Oxy' and I assume both are artificial as both bottles are clear. I tasted Oxygénée against La Fée, Segarra, La Bleue, and 'Ponsec' (Pontarlier anis) with a small dose in an ISO tasting glass using one tablet of sugar.

pre-louche

post-louche

The nose is very different to the other products, being quite fresh and light in comparison. As the picture shows the product is peridot green and louches to a pale green with the lightest louch of any of the samples tested. The water releases more of the nose which has a liquorice, citrousy character. The taste is in line with the smell; fresh, subdued anise (I don't think that there is any star anise here) liquorice and something that I cannot place (coriander?). Oxygénée is much less 'greasy' than say La Fée and the lightness gives it a refreshing quality that is worlds apart from Segarra (which I do like).

To conclude, Oxygénée is unlike any other absinthe that I have tasted - I don't even know whether it is absinthe, but I do know that it is a classy drink and very enjoyable

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation