Chrysippvs review of Versinthe

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Chrysippvs review of Versinthe
By Petermarc on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 08:29 pm: Edit

actually, here in france HB and absente are almost the same price, i think it is about 130ff
vs.150ff for the absente...not much of a difference...they are quite different in style and taste, the HB being much more complex...i have to state the only reason that i bought the absente is because i found it in a 10cl mignonette, and did not have to shell out much franco...still, it surprised me by not sucking...
like their advertising...

By Tabreaux on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 01:29 pm: Edit

I just bought a bottle of HB pastis this evening. It is very similar to in flavor to Versinthe, but is less sweet, a little less aromatic, and not quite as robust. Nevertheless, this product tastes clearly superior to Absente, and costs less. Go figure.

By Petermarc on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 10:06 am: Edit

it'll be interesting if there are differences...
i have no doubt it is not close to classic absinthe, but from my experiences, HB has little in common with absinthe, either...it is a good pastis, i like versinthe better,but now the makers of versinthe claim it is not pastis nor absinthe, or that it contains absinthe at all in any form... absente, is in fact, 'not poison', as the french would say...

By Tabreaux on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 08:28 am: Edit

"The pastis made by Distilleries et Domaines de Provence would be an absinthe because it is green when bottled and has the absinthe taste to it."

Uh, ok.
(LOL)

Petermarc: FWIW, Absente has about as much in common with classic absinthe as an apple has in common with an anvil. This product costs twice as much as Versinthe and is half as good (IMO). I am getting a bottle of Absente from Europe and comparing it with the garbage in the U.S. I'll make a post if there are any differences.

By Petermarc on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 08:22 am: Edit

the two samples of HB 'pastis' of distilleries et domaines de provence are NOT green but a light brownish yellow...the sample of absente of distilleries et domaines de provence is light green, very similar to the artisanal absinthe i found in the doubs...oh no, i was given rebottled absente and was told it was absinthe!...i think not, but it tastes more of absinthe than HB 'pastis'...as don said, there would be many infringements on pernod's trademark of 'pastis' if this were true...i think we are dealing with a situation were products for the french market are made and taste different than those shipped abroad...this happens quite often with wine...

By Marc on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 06:35 am: Edit

Don,

Martin is not my pal. I know him only as well as you. I like him. He's a ballsy young fellow. And pretty bright. Watching the two of you sparring has been tremendously entertaining. The best time
I've had in the forum for awhile.

The forum is full of lively threads right now.
It's good for me. I'm alone in Vegas and I enjoy all of your company.

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 04:21 am: Edit

Gee. In USA trademarks have a finite lifespan. As I understand it, pastis started 75 years ago, so trademark protection ought not to apply.

Patent protection lasts for no more than 20 years. I know, I own a few.

Now, trade secrets, they can last forever, or for as long as you can keep them secret. But there is no force in law. A trade secret cannot be patented; likewise a patent can not be partly withheld as a trade secret. A patent must be completely disclosed; a trade secret must be completely withheld.

Perhaps, French law does not conform, but it must conform to EU patent and trademark law.

If as you say, pastis is not pastis without licorice then no absinthe is pastis. I know of no absinthe containing licorice. Anise is not licorice; star anise is not licorice.

By Bardouin on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 02:45 am: Edit

Pastis is a trademark of Pernod Ricard Groupe with important ingredients that are in every bottle. If you use the name pastis you use the ingredients like pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, and licorice root. If you leave one out it is not pastis, this is what Versinthe does. A pastis without licorice is anis liqueur or absinthe. The pastis made by Distilleries et Domaines de Provence would be an absinthe because it is green when bottled and has the absinthe taste to it.

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Marc,

is this guy your pal? God, I hope not. He seems to look up to you. A wonder he looks up to anyone.

By Martin on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 10:31 pm: Edit

Marc,

I don't think anything is beneath him. He dares to tell me I'M getting bad Karma?

I don't need to befuddle anyone. Walsh's mind is so deluded, he's convinced I'm someone else.

The only poison I spread is towards him. That's because I don't mind poisoning rats. They spread disease and leave their shit everywhere.

-Martin

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Marc,

This guy, whatever his age is, is not a legitimate participant in the forum. He is a troll. No 'contest' is involved; it is simply that he is here to poison wells, and to confuse, and anger, and befuddle. The fact that he's not very effective is irrelevant.

He's a poisonous little twit, very much of the Snake River Rufus Krile variety (if you saw my other post.) His own worse enemy, of course. He has zero credibility and has built zero bridges to this community; rather he has spent his time here in a concerted, if incompetent, attempt to rile and disconcert. In short he isn't worth that .32 round, isn't worth the powder to blow his pea-brain away. He does however, waste Kallisti's electrons, and take the names of his elders and betters in vain. For that the immutible law of karma will exact its toll. I don't suffer fools gladly and neither does the universe. And this martin is a martin in the classical sense -- look it up.

By Petermarc on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 09:58 pm: Edit

i'll try to stick with the subject, but i think it will be lost...an interesting note about versinthe, i found a booklet on it in a marseille
wine/food shop and in it's description of versinthe it states 'versinthe n'est surtout pas un pastis, car elle ne contient pas de réglisse.'
(it is not a pastis because it doesn't contain licorice) so, is that what defines a pastis? whether it has licorice in it or not? maybe bardouin can explain this...

By Marc on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 09:51 pm: Edit

Don,

getting into a pissing match with a guy who's less than half your age is beneath you.

By Martin on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 09:45 pm: Edit

Oh no! I'm being threatened by a crusty old rake!

Why don't you do yourself a favor and stick that .32 up your own nose. Your liver will thank you.

-Martin

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 07:20 pm: Edit

Marc, you wish to emerge as the defender of this troll piece of dogturd?

By Marc on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Martin is 22 years old. He's allowed to change his mind and personality as often as he likes.

By Pikkle on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 03:32 pm: Edit

You can still get Town Club in the glass bottle
in Michigan... Walmart has them, something
like 19˘ a bottle...

By _blackjack_ on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 03:29 pm: Edit

Can you even get Fresca any more? I haven't seen it since they banned saccharine. I thought it went extinct in the same cataclysm that killed Tab.

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 03:26 pm: Edit

The old Egyptian mummification routine, up the nose with a long heated corkscrew, and pull the brains out. Usually performed after death but, there were exceptions.

The old ways are the best!

By Thegreenimp on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 02:45 pm: Edit

How about a lobotomy with a stiletto.

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 02:14 pm: Edit

Nurse Ratchit, code orange in Padded Room #3. Martin needs more electroshock.

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 02:13 pm: Edit

Sticks and stones will break my bones, but a .32 up your nose will definitely clear your sinuses.

By Martin on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Fuck you too, you worthless drunk.

-Martin

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 01:22 am: Edit

I told you, this is one of Betty's 'multiples'. Why don't you run along and take your meds, Martin? Nurse Tatchit will be along to take you to EST in a little while.

By Martin on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Fuck you, Chong. Why don't you go smoke a bowl with Cheech and leave me alone. You stinky hippy.

You prefer I stick with THAT personality? Keep insulting me and I will.

-Martin

By Pikkle on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 05:36 pm: Edit

Mari Mayans in any concoction is just plain
plain...

By Bob_chong on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Dood:

You are the Al Gore of the forum. Pick a personality and stick with it.

BC

By Martin on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 09:04 am: Edit

I'm sipping some straight Mari Mayans 70% right now. Honestly, it's not half bad. I think the trick is you have to sip it. Am I right? My previous experiments with taking absinthe neat involved shooting it. Shooting left no real flavor in my mouth and usually made me feel nauseous (like most of Mr. Walsh's posts). Now, sipping it is a much better experience.

Actually, I really am noticing flavors that I didn't before. I can see why you guys do that now when your tasting. I can really taste the bitterness (from the A.A.?), and the anise seems much less overpowering. Swishing a bit around in my mouth... yes the true flavor is now much more apparent.. and my toungue is numb.

I guess I have to take back my comment about people who drink straight absinthe as being sick sick people. When I thought of someone drinking it straight, I thought of some fiend sucking on a bottle getting ready to lapse into a coma from alcohol poisoning (or a bunch of Czechs going blind from Hill's). Obviously it's a little more sophisticated than that.

I like absinthe alot... as much as any of you. I now realize that there is merit to drinking it straight and it can be enjoyable (and educational). Regardless, I'll still drink it with Fresca. I don't care what kind of artificial flavors are in it and all that other crap... Fresca and absinthe TASTE GOOD TOGETHER. Try it before you put me down for not using fancy water and expensive sugar lozenges. I tried YOUR method and I stand corrected. Are you going to go after Kallisti next because she likes to drink it with Sprite?

-Martin

By Tabreaux on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 04:46 am: Edit

Some products I can drink straight, while others I wouldn't drink with even a plethora of masking agents (sugar, coke, water, etc.). It purely depends on the product, the content, the flavor(s), the alcoholic strength, etc. Since pastis products are comparatively mild in alcoholic strength and sweet, they are easier to drink out of the bottle...if the flavor suits you.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 03:40 am: Edit

Justin, he's here because he has nothing better to do. Artemis is right: don't feed the trolls, it only prolongs their stay. Kiss them or kick them, it matters not, they just want attention. It's best to deny it to them.

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 02:12 am: Edit

The full flavor of absinthe is found tasted neat. Adding water is just, for certain absinthes, does the same. By the way, if you don't like absinthe why are you here?

By Martin on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 08:50 pm: Edit

People who drink pastis or absinthe neat are sick, sick people. Honestly, how can you get that down? Why would you want to?

I'm not trying to start any arguments, I'm just asking and honest question.

-Martin

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 08:20 am: Edit

Got a bottle in from www.SpiritsCorner.com, as usual the service was prompt and safe. Got the items in 3 days.

The bottle and label are very nice, very dark olive with a label made liken unto the filter of a Les Feuiles 2 spoon. Very classy.

This pastis has a very round aroma, with licorice root and badaine the most pronounced smell. The color is very nice, a light greenish yellow. It has a strong louche (due to the presence of l. root and so much badaine), and I took it with no sugar (it already has sugar added).

It tastes like many other quality pastis, strong badaine and sweet. There is a certain slight bitterness on the front of my tongue perhaps from the presence of Artemesia Vulgaris.

All in all a very good quality pastis, better tasting than Deva, Mari Mayans, and Herring/Lasala IMHO. It is an example of how pastis, although not good absinthe, should taste and smell.

I would recommend it to anyone..I am now sipping it neat and I find it very pleasing. A great Pastis.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation