First Annual Austin Absinthe Tasting...Wish you were here?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:First Annual Austin Absinthe Tasting...Wish you were here?
By _blackjack_ on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 02:33 pm: Edit

You can, however, make small magnetic projectiles at home. Nothing that would be useful in combat, but great for blowing up produce!

http://www.amazing1.com/voltage.htm

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 08:21 am: Edit

Martin doesn't seem to want to discuss antimatter/antiparticles anymore.

He wants to talk rail guns. Rail guns in fiction (I.e., the Arnold movie ERASER) are hypervelocity individual weapons. These don't exist, because the power requirements can't be met.

Real life rail guns (electromagnetically driven hypervelocity cannons) are large and require huge power for a short time. They show some promise for naval guns and artillery. Maybe tank main guns. That's about all.

Apart from the daunting power requirements, designing projectiles for rail guns is a highly specialized art. The projectiles have to be magnetic. They have to be able to withstand the stresses of 5000-10,000 fps muzzle velocities. The areodynamics need to be optimized.

By Marc on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 06:34 am: Edit

I don't understand any of this.

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 06:31 am: Edit

Quote:

It seems like we've gotten into arguing a definition.

Yes, I'm arguing the one that science has used for 70 years.

Quote:

If it were TRUELY antimatter, it would create nothingness (like a Black Hole) when collided with electrons

No, it wouldn't, because that would violate the laws of conservation of mass and momentum. And black holes are not nothingness; they are matter so dense as to bend space-time. That's SOMETHINGNESS on a grand scale.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 05:36 am: Edit

Well, for KE projectiles, upping velocity gets you second order results. Pls indicate that you understand this sentence, by explainign what it means, mathematically, because if you can't, then there is little I Can tell you about hypervelocity exterior ballistics.

By Martin on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 12:56 am: Edit

No, but I do find Rail Guns very interesting. Hypervelocity is where its at!

-Martin

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 12:43 am: Edit

Only over the spelling of fusion. There is no h in fusion.

I dunno what 'fushion' might be. Does a capitolist pig sit on it?

Cold fusion is a sort of scientific joke.

Want to discuss gamma-ray lasers? The Holy Grail of high energy physics?

By Martin on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 12:37 am: Edit

It seems like we've gotten into arguing a definition. Well, I'm not going to argue that because there's no point. Just because something is an antiparticle, it really shouldn't be considered antimatter. If it were TRUELY antimatter, it would create nothingness (like a Black Hole) when collided with electrons, but that doesn't happen, what does happen is that the two are blown into smaller subatomic particles (Quarks and such) and this is usually manifested as light and heat. This change into even smaller particles means it no longer has any measurable effect on the universe but it does still exist.

Einstein's Complete Special Theory of Relativity proves how anitmatter cannot exist. The only thing CLOSE to antimatter is a Black Hole, but that's not entirely it either and its hard to know for sure because so little is known of them.

But anyway, this is needless hairsplitting. Yes, there is a term Antimatter and it does include a tangible definition, but if you walk up to nearly any physicist and ask, "Is there such a thing as Antimatter?" his answer to you will be "No." He may describe to you the definition which has been mentioned earlier, but he will definately tell you that the true antithesis of matter cannot exist. It is unfortunate that they use the term Antimatter to describe matter formed of antiparticles, because it is still matter, not the antithesis of matter which it's name would suggest.

"Cold Fushion" doesn't exist either.

Oh shit, did I just start another argument?

-Martin

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 12:09 am: Edit

I have a feeling our young friend will simply drop this topic as a lost cause, he ought to because it is. He has neither the testicles nor the simple courtesy to admit he is wrong.

By _blackjack_ on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Quote:

If something were antimatter, it would not have any mass or form, it would take up no space, it would be utter chaos and the universe would disappear. Calling a positron an antimatter particle is a misnomer.

Then blame the last 70 years of physics, not me. Ever since the idea of the anti-electron was made evident by Dirac's equations defining electrons in a manner consistent with special relativity and quantum mechanics, an antiparticle has been defined a particle with the same mass as its matter equivalent but but the opposite magnetic moment and electrical charge. If this fails to fit your definition of antimatter, I'm sorry, but it is the one physicists have been using since before maybe even Don was born.

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 03:14 pm: Edit

That's supposed to be an argument?

That's supposed to prove anything?

Saying something is such and such doesn't make it so.

You're not only empty-headed, you're wrong headed, you puppy. And increasingly boring.

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 01:33 pm: Edit

"Antimatter: Matter consisting of antiparticles, i.e., counterparts to the predominant form of matter found in the universe. In 1996, an atom of antihydrogen (i.e., a positron orbiting an antiproton) was produced for the first time and lasted for 37 ns."

(from Eric Weisstein's Treasure Trove of Physics: http://www.treasure-trove.com/author.html)

... that took about 3 minutes to look up and paste in. You guys really do like to argue, don't you? I think Martin's idea of antimatter may have been spawned by that Star Trek episode where there were two guys that were half black/half white on opposite halves. If they ever got together the universe would explode, or implode, or something really, really bad would happen....

By Martin on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 12:27 pm: Edit

blackjack,

you're misusing the definition of matter. Antimatter particles, as you described them, have all the properties as matter, just opposite. Just because it's opposite doesn't mean it's anitmatter. If something were antimatter, it would not have any mass or form, it would take up no space, it would be utter chaos and the universe would disappear. Calling a positron an antimatter particle is a misnomer.

Don,

Hmmmm... my head putting out white noise? All frequencies at equal volume. That sounds pretty good. That would mean my brain is functioning on levels no human ever has before. That would make me some kind of super human with brain power than can probably do stuff like levitate things, start fires, communicate telepathically, etc... anyway, your feeble brain is probably droning along at about 4Hz right now.

Once again I prove you stupid.

-Martin

By Wiz on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 09:27 am: Edit

phicus is spelled with an f (ficus).

By _blackjack_ on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 05:27 am: Edit

Your understanding of antimatter seems to be a little off. You're talking about it is if it is some kind of mystical mumbo-jumbo. Antimatter particles are particles with the same mass as their matter counterparts but the opposite charge. Nothing dark or sinister.

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 05:16 am: Edit

Well, certainly more intelligent that all of Martin put together. But the same holds true for most potted plants. Hook Martin up to an EEG and amplify and all you get is white noise -- how's that for something you can understand Mr Head Audio Engineer?

I have a phicus with a distinctly higher IQ. He used to play the science offier on QUARK.

I haven't the time to 'prove' antimatter to you, I'd have to borrow some time on a linear accelarator or a cyclotron, and there are people waiting to get their tumors zapped, you know? Anyway I suspect if you saw technology on that scale you'd freeze and say in a chilling stage whisper "White man steal soul in black box!"

Stick to Mickie and Minnie and the big hand and little hand. That's 'appropriate''

By Martin on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 05:06 am: Edit

Prove me wrong on the antimatter subject. For every bit of info you can come up supposedly proving it, I can come up with twice as much proving it impossible.

You have to look at the language you're using... suppose you say, "antimatter does exist", that's totally wrong because you are misusing the word "exist". If something is anitmatter is CAN'T exist.. it is nonexistance itself. If it doesn't exist then it can't be calculated or observed or any of that. And if it was truely something that was "nonexistance" that negated all things that did exist, then the universe wouldn't exist. This is very simple logic that even a fourth grader could understand.

Physicists have spent their entire lives trying to prove antimatter and failed. These were people who were probably more intellegent than all of us put together.

-Martin

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 04:53 am: Edit

Thanks blackjack, but I fear it's to no avail. We are talking to a dolt, and the dolt is to stupid to know what he is stupid about.

By _blackjack_ on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 04:49 am: Edit

Um, Martin. You might want to take it easy on the antimatter subject, because you are just wrong.

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 04:37 am: Edit

That's just one of life's little ironies, isn't it? Asshole!

By Martin on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 04:35 am: Edit

[in my best Cornholio impression] Are you threatening me?

It looks like I'm getting closer to my goal.

Hey, I might have gone away if you hadn't pissed me off so bad.

-Martin

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 04:25 am: Edit

Sorry. Duplicate

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 04:25 am: Edit

I withdraw my fragmentary olive branches. Death awaits for sure, but not for me. You are totten meat.

By Martin on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 04:13 am: Edit

I never said my name was on the cornerstone, just on the blueprints... and I didn't make shit at that job, that's why I quit. High tech jobs are a crock.

Don't think for a second that I was one of those cyber geeks with no real knowledge of anything outside of computers. I don't know shit about computers. I was able to get my job there because my boss (an accomplished physicist) thought I was exceptionally intelligent and I had a good background in electronics and audio.

I think you need to get some physics books that were written after 1950, and I think you need to consult more than one physicist. The debate about anitmatter is just that.. a debate. No one has discovered for sure whether it really exists. The majority of physicists agree that its impossible. Don't you even realize what your saying? "The signature of such a collision is unique and easily recorded" That means that no antimatter is involved, because if something were antimatter IT WOULDN'T FUCKING EXIST, and therefore can't be recorded. An ion beam of ANY SORT is just that, an ion beam. You can't even argue whether any form of energy is matter or not. If something is energy, it is matter. People have even tried to argue that light wasn't matter, but the immutable laws of physics cannot be ignored.

You need to start thinking more outside the box... the universe is vast and infinite and you're nothing in it. Neither am I. Neither are any of us. It's just one huge nothingness where everything is essentially the same vibration constantly shifting and changing forms. When you die (soon I hope) you won't cease to be, your matter will still exist, just in a different state.

Don't try to get into any philosophical/scientific arguments with me, buddy. My mind is enlightened beyond what your feeble intellect can possibly comprehend. Antimatter can't exist. Chaos can't exist. If those things did exist, the Universe would cease.

I'm honestly getting very sick of wasting my time with you, but I'm getting very close to proving my point that you're a stupid jackass.

Death Awaits,

Martin

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 02:08 am: Edit

Radio programs come and go...there was Tom Bethel the englishman, who came to N.O. to study jazz, and worked as an inestigator for Garrison, and now is a partner in the Maple Leaf Bar on Maple Street off Carrolton in my own old neighborhood...Layton Martins was a partner in the same bar, he died two years ago, after playing a cop in Ann Rice's movie "Rag and Bone".

The relationship between Marcello, Garrison, the assassination, Dave Ferrie, Jack Martin, the agency, Oswald, the Office of Naval Intelligence (Oswald was a Marine), a guy named David Atlee Phillips, another guy named Guy Bannister, an FBI agent named Regis Kennedy, well, all I can tell you is, this is a gnostic affair. A dark and gnostic affair. For names I have just scratched the surface and most of them are dead. You want to pick around in there, well, you can be dead too.

By Artemis on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 01:46 am: Edit

"Dammit, Artemis, I thought you were kidding about the Acadian connection."

My ancestors moved from Arcadia to Louisiana in 1751. The graveyards in and around Thibodaux are filled with them.

"As you always wrote me from...far away from there."

Life has taken me far away from there, but not as far as you are from NOLA!!!

"I can tell you this: Clay Shaw was innocent. Garrison was a nut. Don't buy into Oliver fucking Stone. Does that help?"

I didn't mean that kind of danger so much as the random addict sticking a gun in your face to get your wallet if you should be so stupid as to wander off the yellow brick tourist road in NOLA.
I have not seen Oliver's movie and don't care to. But I did hear a radio program recently - the guest was a guy who went to New Orleans to have a look at the evidence Garrison had collected on Shaw. Said evidence was all bullshit, according to this guy. Which doesn't surprise me.

But the interesting thing was, the guy said he was picked up at the airport and deposited at Garrison's offices by two goons in dark suits and sunglasses. Later, he asked Garrison, "what happened to your deputies?"
"What deputies?", said Garrison. "Those were Marcello's boys". Now, Marcello supposedly didn't even know that investigator was arriving in New Orleans ......

If I have to wait for a guy with a bigger dick than mine to have a real transvestite on my hands, well, I humbly submit that I might have to wait for a while .... I don't think I was ever fooled, but I remember my father-in-law taking visitors from Missouri and such down to Bourbon Street and laughing under his breath when they drooled over chix with dix ....

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 01:22 am: Edit

Dammit, Artemis, I thought you were kidding about the Acadian connection. As you always wrote me from...far away from there.

New Orleans dangerous? There are a lot of JFK assassination buffs who think so. I grew up (in the adult sense, from teens to 20s) in the midst of all that, and as a cop,, a spook, and a private detective, and I can tell I knew all the lynchpins: Shaw, Brownlee, Ferrie, Garrison, Gurvich. Also Novel, Martins, and the supporting cast. I went to school with Regis Kennedy's son, my cousin was Marcello's consiglieri. And I still don't know dick-all. In fact I wish I knew less than I do because it often gives me a migraine. I find that despite all my subsequent experience, al of it, dealing with DCIs and deputy directors -- I still can't tell what the fuck went down in Dallas that day. And I wish I knew less than I do.

I can tell you this: Clay Shaw was innocent. Garrison was a nut. Don't buy into Oliver fucking Stone. Does that help?

PS it's easy to spot the she-males in Nawlines -- they are the girls who have bigger dicks than you do, that's all. An upstate Louisiana judge once called N.O. a "city of one way streets, two way men and three way women."

A.J.Liebling called it a Mediterranean littoral. Martin, a littoral is a seaport. I thought I'd save you the trouble of looking it up, you illiterate stooge.

By Artemis on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 01:06 am: Edit

No, I don't have any pretenses about New Orleans. I always viewed those society pages in the same light as the comic section. Honestly, I consider NOLA a dangerous place, one of the most dangerous I've ever been.

To my people, in the Acadian country, New Orleans is just a curiosity, a place where you take visitors from out of state so they can get a whiff the stale beer and piss on Bourbon Street, and maybe get fooled by a transvestite.

But I do love those Saints, and by God, they're going to the playoffs this year!

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 01:03 am: Edit

Ted, my friend and partner, do you really think anything you say will stay Martin's viper tongue or make him listen to the voice of sweat reason?

I really doubt it.

He started out attacking us both.

He moderated that to praising you but attacking just me. He took a stab at driving a wedge between us and failed.

But his offensive remarks escalated even as I did my damnednest ti ignore and minimuze and marginalize.

You know as well as I do this is not a random loose cannon.

I tried ignoring him, he just floats up like a turn in a punch bowl.

If you don't like my way of dealing with him, then by God! deal with him yourself. Because I will not suffer him in silence. He is a vicious little twerp.

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 12:54 am: Edit

Artemis, that's what Nawlins considers high society. That's old French families who have spent themselves into the ground for 250 years on Mardi Gras krewwes, debutant balls, and who's gonna be the next Kings of Momus and Comus (those are the old line Krewes, forget Rex, even I have an uncle who was Rex! that's for the new rich).

Sorry to destroy any myths you may have held dear, but New Orleans for more than a century has seen its political power shift first to the Irish, then to the Italians, and then god help us to the blacks, and still the ancien regime clings to its pretences.

By Artemis on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 12:41 am: Edit

I watched a "rap" contest on TV the other day, where people get on the stage and insult each other - apparently part of the origin of modern rap ("doing the dozens", or something, it was called?). I was surprised that the contest was won by a white guy. Well, in any case, it wasn't as entertaining as this, which has grown truly surreal.

Don, I think there is high society in NOLA, or at least people who think they are, because there used to be a section in the Times-Picayune with pictures of debutantes, taken in those decaying mansions on St. Charles Avenue and such like. Apparently the young ladies in the photos were "coming out", whatever the hell that means.

By Tabreaux on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 12:27 am: Edit

Ok people, that's enough!

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 12:09 am: Edit

You want me to advance you a ticket, dweeb? A RT ticket to Bangkok is something less than $800. Wow, you high tech wizards with your names on cornerstones of $50 Million dollar mansions -- really work for lizard ca-ca, don't you? And they even make you lick it off the asphalt, at that.

I was never much into killing women and kids, cocksucker. But I would make an exception in the case of yours, if I thought you had the cojones to have any. As that is clearly impossible -- even heroin addicted HIV positive slum dwellers have some minimal standards -- I'll have to forego the pleasure of bleeding them in front of you. Because they don't exist. Dickless, ball-less twerp that you are. You couldn't get laid in a Shanghai brothel with a $1000 bill wrapped around your knobbie.

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 12:03 am: Edit

"Bullshit corporate fake-ass high society"?

Actually I have never worked for a giant corporation, but I have owned a few small ones. I have absolutely never been 'high society', whatever that is, it doesn't exist in New Orleans, where I come from, so I really don't know what you mean.

As to your claims of being a great technocrat at 20, I doubt it, you sound like a jerkoff, so you are a jerkoff. Head Engineer at a sound studio? Wooo! With that and a couple dollars I could buy a Big Mac.

Like I said: go jerk off with your music. Home Automation? Jeez. A cyber putz in an electronic Full Cleveland. You are a blue collar loser, what did you do, drop out before -- or after high school graduation?

"a positron is still a form of matter, otherswise it couldn't exist."

Am I supposed to respond to that? A negative electron is not a form of matter, it's a particle of antimatter, and that's why it annihilates on contact with a particle of matter. The signature of such collision is unique and easily recorded. The plus charge of the positron is easily demonstarted because a positron beam is repelled by a plus magnetic pole. Like I said, the subject can't be reduced to Mickey is picking his nose while Minnie is adjusting her panties.

By Martin on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Uh oh, one of my hasty assumptions was wrong! I'm still ahead. So far, everything you've said about me hasn't even been close.

-Martin

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 11:47 pm: Edit

My Thai wife will turn 46 in April, a lot you know, you snot-nose asshole. Her name is Yupha. We have been together just 12 years. That's 5 weeks less than I'be been in this country.

By Martin on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 11:40 pm: Edit

The only reason I'm NOT flying over there to stomp your fat face into the ground is that I don't have money for the plane ticket.

-Martin

By Martin on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 11:38 pm: Edit

I don't know a lick of Japanese. I was being sarcastic, but you didn't pick up on it because you're as dense as a lead brick.

A positron is still a form of matter. If it weren't, it wouldn't exist.

You were a veteran by the time you were 22? So, shooting innocent women and children in some bullshit war is a good example of life experience?

When I was 20 I was in Chicago, designing home automation systems for people with more money than you've probably ever seen in your pathetic life. There are blueprints for a 50 million dollar mansion with my name in the corner and the same for a whole bunch of paultry 1 and 2 million dollar ones.

I AM currently doing quite a bit. I'm already working as Head Engineer in a recording studio (my DREAM job), and I'm hard at work with my band. I've already lived in your bullshit corporate high-society snobby fake-ass world, and I had enough of it. Been there, done that.

Better watch out, as soon as your Thai wife turns 18, she'll likely leave you too.

-Martin

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 11:01 pm: Edit

'Pause for Intermission while Martin consults a Nihongo phrase book'

Really, cretin, that's no substitute for many years with a Japanese wife. Now, ex, but c'est la vie. A Thai wife is better.

You can't express yourself in English very well, so why should we expect you to have mastered even a single Asian language? I have only managed two (Japanese and Thai) plus a little Korean. My Vietnamese I have mostly forgotten. My written Japanese hiragana, katakana and kanji I have all but forgotten. Written Thai is rather facile. Well, after kanji anything is facile. Thai gives me a leg up on Burmese, Pali, Sanskrit, Lao, Khmer, etc.

You're really an embarassment as a 22 year old. When I was 22 I was already a blooded veteran, a man of the world, and there you are still pounding your pud. I sincerely advise you to go DO something. Just about anything. Hardly matters what. As long as it is YOUR effort and sweat and creativity, give yourself a sense of accomplishment. That way you won't feel obliged to build up your own ego by attempting to belittle people whose toes you really aren't worthy to suck.

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 10:46 pm: Edit

Duplicate, sorry

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 10:46 pm: Edit

O genkii desu ne Kasumi chan?

Watashi wa anata o aishite imasu.

Unlike you I CAN speak Japanese and you are a phony motherfucker.

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 10:41 pm: Edit

You know less about physics than you do about chemistry, you moron -- yeah, moron, the same as you accused ALL of us of being, imbeciles, etc adnauseam. Antimatter has been observed, antimatter has been created and its destruction recorded. More than that it has been harnessed and technologized. ever heard of the PET scan? That's Positron Emission Tomography. A positron is the antimatter version of an electron, e.g., an electron with a positive charge instead of a negative one. How can doctors scan with particles you say can't exist? Well, it's because you're a hypercephalic dolt.

So much for Star Trek.

As to distillation, as a chemist I have been doing distillations of all sorts for oh, 35 years. My work is on record. My discoveries are published. My patents are there to be examined. I have posted the numbers and citations here before.

I buy beverage grade alcohol from the Royal Thai Distillery Organization and then I clean it up further because our standards are far more stringent than theirs. How I do this I won't bother to explain because you wouldn't understand, I can't reduce it to the Mickey's Big hand is on the Six level.

Unlike you, Ted knows me personally, has spent a few weeks here, working with me, and he knows exactly what his partner is capable of, and if he had any doubts, I wouldn't be his partner. So your little disinformation campaign just isn't working. I don't care if you were posting here when you were still sucking on mamma's droopy tities, my lad, you are an asshole, and you know somewhat less than nothing. You are just the usual reptile under a rock. If you had any balls you'd fly to Bangkok and make your grievances known to my face so I could answer them or else tear off your tiny head so I can shit down your smelly little neck. Don't you get it? You juust don't matter. So fuck off! Nobody craves your presence here. No one values your input. No one will feel deprived when you are gone. Au contraire, they will feel elevated, energized, thrilled and relieved.

Bye! Begone! Baygone! Shelltox! you are a bug. Someone will squash you or spray you and watch you wriggle on your back like the chitinous chittum you claim to be. Deadbug!

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Who can't speak Japanese.

By Martin on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Yeah, I'm fooling everyone. That picture of me in my profile is totally fake.

I'm really Kasumi Kusunagi. I'm a 16 year old Japanese lesbian raver girl.

-Martin

By Marc on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 10:30 pm: Edit

So who is Martin? Am I being duped? Is he not a 22 year old kid?

By Martin on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Antimatter is a physical impossibility. Anitmatter and Chaos are bullshit theories scientists use to explain things they can't find a real reason for.

I know enough about distilling to know it's fucking difficult and if you don't have years of experience you'll probably make people go blind or a least come up with such a revolting concoction Randomil Hill wouldn't touch it. BTW, that's not a knock on Ted's recipe, that's an attack at Walsh's distilling skills. This isn't moonshine, it takes some serious skill to make a quality spirit. I don't need to be a distilling expert to know that. Compare Absolut to Skol and you'll know what I'm talking about.

It amuses me to no end that you seriously think I'm someone else. Who do you think I am? Seriously, who the fuck do you think I am if you think I'm not Martin Alexander Chittum, Jr?

You're pathetic.

Yeah, check the archives and you will find posts from me... FROM NEARLY TWO YEARS AGO!!! I was here long before your stupid ass, so shut the fuck up. I've ALWAYS posted under the name Martin, so go ahead and look. You'll find my discussions back then were far more civil, and you'll see that the Forum was a far happier place back then.

Who is this person you think I am? I bet he and I would get along really well. Great minds think alike.

By the way, what makes my thread about de Sade B.S.? Because it's one of the few threads that isn't full of your shit? Because people had good discussion? Because it's a great example of people getting into a fight and then getting over it and then going on to have a meaningful conversation about things that interest them?

Speaking of a regular "Forumite" under a different name... who the fuck is Bob Chong? And why is he so in love with Walsh? hmmmm....

-Martin

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Don't expect logic or internal consistency from the troll. Don't expect common sense. Don't expect anything at all, because martin is like antimatter, he exists only to negate.

He's a noisy little kid disrupting other peoples' fun.

Hasn't anyone developed a theory about who martin really is yet?

He attacks me viscerally (but not very well.)

He hates Bob Chong.

He launched a b.s. thread about de Sade. There's the clue. Someone else who shares those other characteristics, launched a very similar thread not so very long ago. Expressing similar opinions.

In short he's a regular forumite under a bogus name. No, it's not Absintheur. This guy isn't worthy to shine Jesse's shoes and besides he has this trouble distinguishing bootblack from shit.

Go play in the archives and see what you find. Heh heh.

By Pikkle on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 03:47 pm: Edit

Capitalist pigs are my heroes... they are my
inspiration. Without them, nothing happens,
we live in caves and hunt with rocks. Anyone
who has anything bad to say about capitalist
pig can fuck right off, I mean it. I repect anyone
who has the where with all to do what they do,
regardless of how much they charge or don't.
They are making it while the rest of us are
making it for them. Who's the fools?

By _blackjack_ on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 03:26 pm: Edit

Wait, wait...this guy Martin defends Betty for charging a huge markup on somebody else's product, but Don is a capitalist pig for crafting his own product and selling it at a much lower margin?

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Go drip your venom somewhere else, troll. Everyone's got your number. You are boring. You are ill informed. Just what do you think you know about distilling anything? How many years do you have in organic chemical research, eh? Let's see your citations in Chem.Abstracts. Let's see your patents. Let's see your publications. You're in no position to give advice to anyone about anything, because you don't know anything about anything. Go jerk off with your music.

By Martin on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 02:03 pm: Edit

Serpis does taste red, but not just that, it has a great bitterness to it too, not nearly as anise-y as most other Spanish absinthes.

I also enjoy a good pastis and would really like to get my hands on a bottle of HB.

Ted, I think what you're doing is a good thing. It's a great idea to come up with a better absinthe, and your stuff sounds like it might be really good, but I really think you made a poor choice in business partners. I wouldn't trust that guy if I were you. There's something VERY fishy about him. I don't like the way he's attacking Bardouin, that guy probably knows more about DISTILLING than the esteemed Mr. Walsh could ever hope to. Granted, absinthe and pastis are very different things, but the processes aren't so different.

Really, I think you should worry about the consistency of your final product. I'm sure you've come up with a great recipe, but distilling isn't like baking bread.

For what its worth (not much I'm sure),

Martin

By Petermarc on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 06:55 am: Edit

i was going to post a review of henri bardouin and absente in it's own space, but since you all have surprised me with this thread since i got on the tgv for marseille yesterday, i'll leave it here...first of all henri bardouin and absente are made (or bottled or both) by the same 'distilleries and domaines de provence' in forcalquier...attention...this may not be one producer but a cooperative of distillers, much like wine cooperatives...however, when cooperatives work, they usually blend their grape juice together and make one or several products out of it, the better growers might have their own estate, and have the cooperative bottle the wine for them...this may be what's going on with
HB and absente, but it is difficult to believe that it is a blend of distilled products from different makers...my sample of HB was light yellow, without a trace of green...the absente has a very natural light green color...the HB smelled of spice bread, ginger, cloves, and cinnamon...the absente more of alcohol and anis, but not as strong to me as everyone has said, neither have much of an 'absinthe' smell, so i am surprised that people can find it in the HB...the absente has a more absinthe/opaline like louche, the HB more cloudy white...neither need sugar AT all, and i like to add sugar to my drink...as far as the label of absente, which i am not sure is the same in the usa, at the top it reads 'liqueur aux plantes d'absinthe'... as much as i don't like to say it, i find that absente, though not anything like good absinthe, is more 'absinthe-like' than HB (maybe just a product of the alcohol 55% vs.45%), the HB more complex in flavors but more obviously pastis...absente has continued it's horrible poster campaign with two new versions, one with
the stockbroker and an epoche woman dancing around a bottle with the stupid fairy behind it and another with 'lautrecy-guy'and a modern chick in a blue short dress standing on either side of the bottle with the fairy straddling the bottle like a giant phallis...oh ,the humanity, someone kill this artist or at least bury him alive where he can do no more harm ( the date has been changed to 1900 and 2000)oy...

By Tabreaux on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 05:40 am: Edit

Don, it's ok. FWIW, there is no evidence that this person is even associated with said company, much less the official spokesperson.

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 05:04 am: Edit

I am happy to admit I know nothing of pastis making, to speak of. I'm afraid that outside of the francophone world few care much about pastis one way or the other.

Fortunately that isn't true of absinthe.

I did not attack your pastis. I did not criticize your technique. How can I? I have not tasted your pastis. You on the other hand seem happy to attack what you have never seen, much lest tasted or even smelled.

I merely pointed out who imports your pastis into USA. It is a pity that your bottler could not find a more suitable importer. Michel Roux has few if any friends here, because of his deceptive and unethical marketing of Absente. A campaign that fell flat on its face, deservedly.

Perhaps he will do better with your pastis, hopefully he will not have his salesmen out telling trade buyers it is really absinthe, which is what they did with Absente pastis.

As to your insults they lack both focus and impact. I feel no need to reply to them.

By Tabreaux on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 05:03 am: Edit

The tiny particles were micro-debris of cork which worked loose in shipping. I admit that the cork I used was a from a manufacturer's sample, and was not the best.

Bardouin, I made the product in the review. If your comment about not knowing anything about absinthe making was directed at me, it is both grossly incorrect and insulting. At this point, I prefer to look past this and pretend like I never even read your post.

Meanwhile, I'll let unsolicited reviews, either good or bad, speak for themselves about my work.

By Artemis on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 04:07 am: Edit

I thought Daedelus's descriptions of the subtle and hard to pin down nuances of the various products amazing, but now to hear he had only tasted Deva previously! I wouldn't have believed that, but I'm convinced, now that he's mentioned his cooking experience. I'm not sure that cooking with herbs, or dealing with herbs in other ways, wouldn't be better training for absinthe tasting than absinthe tasting itself.

A few phrases from Daedelus jumped out at me:

"pronounced sweet "candy" smell"

I revisited La Fee the other night, just opened the bottle and sniffed it, and "candy" was exactly what came to mind.

"Serpis tastes like the color red."

Wow. I used those exact words in a private review of Serpis last summer. Indeed it does.

" ... cork had tell-tale traces of "grass-stains" on the inside surface"

The mark of a naturally colored product for sure. Just sniffing the cork on such a product is a delight. Also, the "grassiness" is indeed a good thing, and as Ted explained, it mellows with time.

" .. smoky" oil slick on the surface"

I think Bardouin can be forgiven for misreading this as referring to the full-strength product, which indeed should show no oil slick. Every absinthe I've seen has some oils on the surface after louching; that's the nature of the beast. It shouldn't be gross like the fat on the surface of day-old gumbo, though.

I have to take issue with a couple of Daedelus's phrases, as well:

"I did surmise, however, that they (particles in the liquor) might have come form the final coloring step, which seems to make imenent sense."

It only makes sense if filtration wasn't used or wasn't used correctly. There shouldn't be any plant material particles in the product; I'm with Bardouin on that.

"I mean this stuff was hand-made, and with the utmost care, I might add."

The care was less than utmost if there were particles in it. I'm NOT knocking the product; only the logic of the statement, which is deficient.

"I do not think I am in error when I say I smelled coriander and anise in many of the
products."

Nor do I. Both are staples of fine absinthe.

"I would be interested to hear from Ted as to what might actually comprise the flavors he was going after."

Good luck. Ever seen the episode when Homer Simpson and Apu go to the top of the mountain to meet the Quicki-Mart guru?

"I guarantee that Ted and Don's stuff is going to be the best thing going when it is finally released. I rest my untrained palate on that assumption."

You cannot guarantee anything based upon an *assumption*. Ted and Don are not the only people in the world walking the path they walk. All the same, your review was masterful. Thank you.

By Eric on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 03:04 am: Edit

I have just taken a sample of the product in question and put it in a small clear bottle. looking closely up to the light I cannot see any particles or plant matter whatsoever. it seems to be perfectly clear. maybe there may have been small particles from the cork in the sample that daedelus drank. I am not sure what is was that he saw.

By Bardouin on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 02:44 am: Edit

I see that you know less about pastis making than you do about absinthe. I am not suprised to see that this is the truth. A pastis maker has nothing to do with the company that bottles pastis, who is the one who sells the pastis to another company in america. To attack this company says nothing about me and what I make. To attack me without knowing what you are attacking is slander. This is what you do to everyone who you hate in this place and it seems like you hate everyone who does not love you in every post. What I said about the review is true, these are bad things in absinthe and I do not mean that I think that it was mixed with oil, almost all old absinthe was mixed with oil. It sounds like there is too much of something in this absinthe, not anise which separates in a smooth white way, but something that should not be so strong, that breaks the shade of the absinthe. This is very bad. If there was more anethole in the absinthe is would hide the problems, which is how most distillers did this in the
old absinthe distillery. Also, if chartreuse has things in the bottle you should call the bottler and get your money back, this is a sign of a very poor product. There are standards that drinkers use to decide what they drink that do not settle on the taste alone. I do not believe that an absinthe with things floating in it and with swirls of oil in the glass is worth drinking. If I drank this absinthe and it tasted grassy I would throw it away.

By Don_walsh on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 01:47 am: Edit

Note that H.Bardouin pastis is imported by none other than...wait for it...Michel Roux of Crillon.

Rememberr Crillon? Absente's Crillon?

By Martin on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 09:28 pm: Edit

Does anyone know if there's a way I can edit my preferences to erase certain people from existance?

-Martin

By Joalco on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Well folks, sorry I missed that. Sounds like a great time. I was waiting for family to arrive from Illinois that night, however. I'll be looking forward to another meeting, hopefully next month.

Cheers,

jon c

By Bob_chong on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 01:45 pm: Edit

Pataphysician:

You wrote that HB pastis was "dominantly citrous [sic]" and yet "on par with...Segarra"?

I think you've been changing a little too much history.

BC

By Melinelly on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 12:59 pm: Edit

:::raises his iced coffee laced with cream and creme de minthe in Don's direction:::

thanks for a wonderful read, daedelus. wish i could've been there.

thanks to all for the rest of this interesting and informative thread =) even to the flamers who bring out the best in us :grin:

see yas in nola

cheers!

-em

By Grimbergen on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 10:21 am: Edit

Eric,
Wouldn't it be more appropriate if the name was just Austin Absinthedrinkers, (AA)...

btw, does anyone know if I can edit my preferences so I don't have to read any of martin's posts? I know I should not read them, but it is like driving by a car accident, I just can't help looking at the atrocity.

Grim

By Martin on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 09:35 am: Edit

You know, if I had met you guys in person instead of in the din of cyberspace, we'd probably get along much better. Still, your childish insults towards each other are most distasteful. And I'm shocked how quickly you all post. Don't any of you have anything better to do?

-Martin

By Pataphysician on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 09:30 am: Edit

Now, now, boys. You're both arguing over drinks you've never had. I had the Bardouin pastis and thought it was pretty good. Better than other pastis and on par with a good Spanish absinthe, Segarra. Here's a re-post:

Review: Henri Bardouin Pastis

Label: "Pastis Liqueur, Henri Bardouin, a pastis des provencaux, Distilleries et Domaines de Provence, Forcalquier - France, 750ml, 45% Alc/Vol, Imported by Crillon Importers Ltd, Paramus, NJ"

Straight from the bottle it is clear green, with a sharp, sweet taste. Rather like brandy.

With four parts cold water Bardouin has a very cloudy, opaque yellow-green louche, with a thin oil slick on the top. Aroma is anis, citrous and wormwood. Taste is medium sweet (relative to other pastis), medium anis, dominantly citrous, a discearnable wormwood, and slightly spicey. They claim to use various peppers, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove and those seems evident, but very subtly done. Maybe those account for the citrous-like flavor. To me it comes off as a grapefruit flavor. The "overnight evaporation" test left a carmelly goo.

It doesn't need sugar, but it isn't so sweet that it can't be done up in the traditional way. Oddly, a cube of sugar doesn't seem to change the sweetness much. That is, without added sugar it seems sweet enough, but adding sugar doesn't make it too sweet.

In many ways Bardouin resembles the common Spanish absinthes. I tasted it alongside Segarra and Lasala and it compared well. I haven't sensed any secondary effect as I have with Spanish absinthes, though.

I bought this at a small US liquor store. Price was $20. Overall, I'd say it's a good bargain, better than the other pastis commonly found in the US.

By Eric on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 06:58 am: Edit

Mal,
It would have been cool if you had been here. I think we should make it official and form the Austin Absinthedrinkers Association (AAA). let us all get together soon.

By Malhomme on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 06:39 am: Edit

Chartreuese often has "motes" too.
Are we to reckon that this is an inferior product too!?

And to Eric and Daedelus, I'm genuinely disappointed I didn't get to join you guys. It sounds like it was a very good time. Perhaps we can all agree to meet sooner than the 13th, but for me it'll definitely have to be after the holidays. It is a real boone that we all live in the same city and can share this rare experience. I've been searching for nearly 10 years now for fellow absinthe drinkers and green fellowship.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 04:45 am: Edit

Sorry this was a duplicate...

By Tabreaux on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 04:43 am: Edit

A few notes:

Unless the product has virtually no herbal content at all (many don't), that which is in solution will give a slight sheen when diluted, which will dissipate as more water is added. How much water a person adds is a matter of taste. Contrary to some other absinthes and pastis products alike, none of our products are oily. What Bardouin suggested is that this product contained heavy oils (from maceration), which is a sign of inferiority. Clearly, this is not the case.

The flavor Daedelus made reference to as a bit 'grassy' results from a very freshly made product. This flavor softens within a week or two, which is about the expected time for a bottle in transit. Just like the old absinthes, I personally guarantee that these products will further soften and mellow with age. Naturally, they are ready to be had when bottled, but if you want to stash one away for a special occasion a couple of years down the road, you'll be in for one heck of a treat. I have samples which are not quite a year old, and they already have softened measurably. Just a hallmark of our production techniques.

I appreciate the commentary, and likewise, I am intrigued to read descriptions of the subtle flavors in that particular product. It is quite interesting to read that from this perspective. Once again, this was more or less the core of a final product, so I hope that you'll find the final version to be equally interesting.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 04:38 am: Edit

To all and sundry, I am not anxious to attack a 'respected' French pastis maker lightly, but, geez, he crapped on a good thing without being within a few thousand miles of it. And that isn't right.

Kallisti likes to compare this Forum, in her own mental image of it, as a punk rock stripper gogo bar. And let me embellish upon her image: we are the patrons sitting round the bar and at the tables. The lurkers are at the back tables in the shadows avoiding eye contact. The rest of us are holding forth is smallish cliques, and sometimes people move from table to table, bar to table, table to bar, clique to clique. Some are quiet, some boistroust, some pie-eyes, some sober, nursing an iced coffee or something.

Is that about right?

Well, sometimes arguments get heated. Sometimes dumb guys walk in a lot like the skinny little guy in JUDGE ROY BEAN (Paul Newman version) -- Snake River Rufus Krile. And quickly they get shot full of holes, by everyone. Then fined by the judge for the coincs in the pocket and gold in their teeth, and then hanged.

Other times the battles are one on one, but again, can get ugly. Esp when a stranger wanders in and says "Pardon moi, but, does not your mother perform fellatio on deceased Japanese troops?"

Them's fighting words where I come from!

Know what I mean?

So forgive the breach of civility...

By Daedelus on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 04:20 am: Edit

Bardouin,

Just to set the record straight. It did not taste of grass, but rather "grassy", meaning fresh and "green", meaning freshly herbal.

Also I did not say there were "herbs in the bottle". That would seem to represent a cheap steeped product. This is simply not the case. There did however appear to be "motes" suspended in the liquid in the bottle. I don't know what they were. I believe only Ted could tell us that bit of info. I did surmise, however, that they might have come form the final coloring step, which seems to make imenent sense. I mean this stuff was hand-made, and with the utmost care, I might add.

As to my only having tatsed DEVA prior to this experience, that is true, but I have been cooking since I was 6 years old and do know aromas, flavors, and a bit about flavor balance. I do not think I am in error when I say I smelled coriander and anise in many of the products. In some it was more prominent than others (Segarra for example) I would be interested to hear from Ted as to what might actually comprise the flavors he was going after. Not to give away any trade secrets, only for my personal edification. Private if need be.

And Don nailed the "oil-slick" on the head. It makes all sort of sense for the herbal
"oils" to come out of suspension when diluted with water, much in the same way sugar crystals come out of a super-saturated suspension when an undisolved grain is dropped in (o.k. all of you chemists out there maybe not much in the same way, at least chemically and physically, but figuratively. You know what I mean)

And if H. Bardouin, the Pastis, is in any way similar to the Versinthe Pastis, then I advise all to stay away, but since I haven't tasted said product I will withhold judgement (unlike the quick to jump Bardouin) Eric does have a bottle of the HB. Maybe he would be so kind to set us all straight with a review.

I guarantee that Ted and Don's stuff is going to be the best thing going when it is finally released. I rest my untrained palate on that assumption. Kudos to the Knights of the Green Fairy (you know who you are)

daedelus

By Don_walsh on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 03:29 am: Edit

It would seem that the reviewer preferred Ted's sample to several artisnal (and bootleg) French and Swiss absinthes from multiple sources.

Perhaps, in attacking Ted's sample unseen and untasted our pastis making friend is simply holding up his flag. However from here is looks like he is holding something else and it is limp.

I don't presume I know more than others; I let what I produce speak for itself. You attack it (or a close relative of it) without so much as a smell and pronounce you would 'never' buy it in la belle France. For that I again call you an arrogant son of a bitch, and both times, I am not doing it for fun. You and your ancestors can go take a flying leap. Go wave the fleur-de-lis somewhere else.

By Thegreenimp on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 03:20 am: Edit

Funny that he attacked something that the reviewer said tasted impeccably balanced, and raved about.........I wonder if he would mind contributing a sample of his product for review.
I did find a use for Absente, it unclogged my kitchen sink pretty well....................
Regards
Jay

By Don_walsh on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 03:18 am: Edit

Absente is a pastis, and I am informed that it is produced by H.Bardouin.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 03:16 am: Edit

That one wasn't random. It was what in the nuke business is known as a 'zero error probability'.

The worst sort of 'critic' is the sort who dissects something he has neither seen nor tasted. In this case it was on the basis of a very nice review by a fellow who I am given to understand had previously tasted nothing but Deva before that occasion, but of course he had ample opportunity to expand his experience then.

The slight oils seperation Daedelus noted was after watering, as the comment came after description of the louche. Oils seperated from the neat absinthe are bad; a slight seperation after watering is to be expected, as the oils have been driven into an emulsion, which is what the louche is.

Bardouin continues to damage his own credibility. A Gallic nose and an accent are insufficient credentials. Why did he not mention to the forum that among the products of his employer H Bardouin, is the noxious licorice juice Absente? Isn't he proud of what he produces?

By Bardouin on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 03:12 am: Edit

You accuse me of making a product that I do not make. I distill only pastis, which is then sold to a french bottle maker, who sells the bottles to companies around the world. My pastis is one of the best of the industry, and I come from a family of a distiller of absinthe. I have recipes, I have bottles from before the name absinthe was banned, I know many distillers who make good absinthe in the jura. You insult everyone without thinking, you spread lies about other people who post in this place, and you pretend that you are just making fun. You pretend that you know more about absinthe than others, and the mistakes that you make are stupid. You are one who pretends to know, because others do not and will believe you. It is sad.

By Admin on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 03:07 am: Edit

heheee

You know Don, sometimes it looks like you wander from "room" to "room" muttering random epithets.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 03:05 am: Edit

Anyone want to venmture a stab at which French pastis maker produces Absente for our good friends at Crillon. Michel Roux and friends?

Fess up, Bardouin.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 02:57 am: Edit

And you haven't tasted it, have you, you arrogant son of a bitch?

By Bardouin on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 02:35 am: Edit

It is not right to have oils on the top of the absinthe. This is the sign of bad swiss product made by new distillers. Also the flavor of grass is wrong in the absinthe as well. After all I have heard this is a horrible review, even that there were herbs in the bottle, I would never buy this absinthe in france.

By Eric on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 12:46 am: Edit

Mark,
great post. It was a pleasure to share my absinthe with a member of the forum. maybe next time we will get to some of the other bottles that we did not have time for. for a guy who had previously only tried deva, you sure do pick up on things quickly. also, thanks for the advice on the floor. I think it is going to look great.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Keep saying that, troll. Some newbie might be wandering by and take it as gospel. No one else is likely to pay you any credence at all.

By Martin on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Mr. Breaux's libation sounds very interesting indeed. Too bad his business partner is such a meany.

It would be nice if more Americans got into this idea of making a better absinthe. I dream of the day when good tasting, quality absinthe isn't limited to a small handfull of brands.

-Martin

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 08:38 pm: Edit

Excellent post. Thanks for sharing the experience. My mouth is watering at the though of sampling Ted & Don's product.

By Daedelus on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 11:12 am: Edit

The venerable Eric and I held the first annual Austin Absinthe Tasting last night. This was all prompted by Eric’s teasing the Austinites with promise of something “interesting”, and boy did he deliver the goods.

As I sit here writing this it is approximately 24 hours after the tasting began, so forgive the shoddy nature of the reviews. We also did not take notes as we imbibed but towards the end of the evening I did manage to jot down a list of the potables consumed and some really rough notes based on smell and memory of the taste.

Eric has amassed quite a collection of Absinthes, I recall there being 25 or so separate bottles on the table as we tasted and retasted. They ranged form the run-o’-the-mill Spanish stuff all the way up to the “big suprise”

We began with the good stuff. I believe we started of with Betty’s #2 La Bleue. Having only experienced DEVA prior to last night the La Bleue was quite a treat. Far less anise tasting, and more layered in nuance. The complexity made it hard to pin down particular tastes, but suffice it to say that all sorts of olfactory memories surfaced. We were drinking out of antique glasses with nice spoons, sugar and water as is my preference. We were only having half sized drinks so as not to get completely smashed (to little avail as the night progressed)

Next came La Interdite another La Bleue from an undisclosed source. It to was quite tasty. Definitely a sibling of Betty’s #2 possibly a fraternal twin, all of the same tastes were there but there were subtle differences. Betty’s seemed to be richer, and more forthcoming with the tastes. Everything was slightly sharper and crisper in Betty’s product. But in the final analysis they were essentially interchangeable.

Skipping ahead a bit to Justin's La Bleue, it to was a close relative of the first La Bleues. They all had similar noses, mainly a pronounced sweet “candy” smell. Sort of a riff on a coriander and anise mix. It took along time to put my finger on this particular flavor/smell, but it finally came to me as a reminder of freshly ground coriander and anise seed. There is something magical and “candy” like in combining these to spices and it shows up wholly evident in the La Bleues. All in all the LB’s were very tasty and far superior in flavor to the old DEVA standby. They all hid nice opalescent ouches also more white than anything, and started out completely clear. As Martha Stewart would say “They are a truly good thing”

In keeping with beginning the tasting with higher quality products, after the first two La Bleues we had, came the “December Surprise”. Out of an unadorned green bottle, with cork, came the most complex and indescribably good nectar. The honorable Mr. Breaux traded a full bottle of his elixir for an opened bottle of Krups Karport. Eric is was by far the winner on that deal. Ted’s drink is phenomenal. According to Ted’s e-mail this sample is the “core” of an upcoming product Don is to produce. The original cork had tell-tale traces of “grass-stains” on the inside surface. That stain was caused by the all natural final coloring step. The liquor’s color was a faint yellowy-green. Not at all artificial looking. There even seemed to be tiny particles of plant matter suspended in the liquid. Not big particles but noticeable, and in no way detracting from the impression of the drink.

The louche was a beautiful faintly green opal color. There was also a faint “smoky” oil slick on the surface, probably caused by the sheer volume of herbs and spices that make up the flavoring of this Absinthe. It was really quite fun to swirl the glass and watch the “smoky” trails vortex around on the surface. The aroma of the drink neat, was akin to the La Bleues but FAR more complex and deep. There were notes of anise, coriander, cinnamon, pepper, mint, and an obvious cedar smell, likely attributed to the A. absinthium. After water and sugar the nose really blossomed into a much smoother, drier aroma. There was a faint hint of a freshly mowed lawn also. The stuff smelled and tasted chlorophyllic. It was a heady concoction of herbal notes with a nice undertone of alcohol.

The taste was bar-none. All of the aromas were fully present and impeccably balanced on the tongue. It started very smooth at the tip of the tongue with the sweetness of the added sugar accompanied by the “candy” flavor I attribute to anise and coriander, and finished at the back of the tongue with a distinct cedary-bitterness. None of the flavors were overpowering. It was approaching perfection. There was also a refreshing “grassy-ness” to the full flavor that must be attributed to the final coloring step. There were definitely young herbal flavors imparted during the coloring step. Nice.

Segarra was also present. It, like the La Bleues, presented a anise/coriander smell and flavor, although it seemed to be more reliant on the coriander side of that particular equation. It is by far the best Spanish brand. It comes across way more like a hand-crafted La Bleue than a commercial product. Senor Segarra knows his stuff. If it was only green instead of caramel colored, it would be just about right. But you can’t fault him on the taste.

The La Fee was very sweet smelling, but quite nice to drink. I would venture to place it smack dab in the middle of a continuum with DEVA on one end and a good La Bleue on the other. It shared obvious characteristics of each end of the spectrum. definitely a centrist drink.

Deva 70 is the same formulation as Deva 50, although a little bit tamer in the taste department, almost as if the higher alcohol content masks some of the herbal notes. It also smells a bit different than the 50 but they are identical twins as far as I’m concerned. I’m sure there mother could tell them apart but if you just met them you wouldn’t know who was who.

Serpis tastes like the color red. It seems really heavy on the cinnamon notes. I don’t even know if they use cinnamon, but if I had to place a bet on it I would. I don’t think it is a bad drink, but I wouldn’t want to drink it on a regular basis.

We also had a “Suisse” La Bleue that was urine colored. Not really opaquely yellow but it was definitely there. This stuff was awful. Even with sugar the finish was overpoweringly BITTER. I was never quite sure what bitter was until I tasted this stuff. Well, now I know. The whole back of my tongue was assaulted by a really nasty bitter flavor. Bitter, Bitter, Bitter

We also ventured into Pastis land with the Versinthe. I am sticking with absinthe. This stuff is ICKY! Too much going on all at once and none of it very pleasant. I can see its relation to Absinthe but I would prefer to cut off my ear than to have to drink that stuff again....

By my count we tried 10 or 11 separate products. We had three tries at Ted’s because it was so damn impressive, and we doubled up on a La Bleue or two. After the end of 6 or so hours we were both fairly tanked, but none the worse for wear. The Absinthe buzz is a much nicer buzz than just about any other I can think of. And nary a head-ache in the morning. And I started on an empty stomach and went to bet completely sated with a belly full of Absinthe.

Many thanks to my gracious host Eric, and also to Mr. Breaux for his product. Keep up the good work guys!

daedelus

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation