Pictures

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Pictures
By Pikkle on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 07:21 am: Edit

I was cured all right...

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 12:02 am: Edit

As to A Clockwork Orange (Kubrick's masterful interpretation of Anthony Burgess's brilliant nightmare dystopia novel) all I can say is:

"Singing in the rain..."

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 11:59 pm: Edit

I haven't seen it yet although a lot of friends tell me it is kinky enough for my tastes.

So I look forward to it.

By _blackjack_ on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Eyes Wide Shut didn't do it for me. I certainly recognized the masterful skill involved, but it really failed to build the kind of tension it needed. It seemed to kind of ramble. I'm more of a Clockwork Orange boy myself.

By Marc on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Don,

Did you see Kubrick's last film EYES WIDE SHUT?
I think it's a masterpiece, but most critics despise it. It's an absinthe dream of a movie.

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 08:14 pm: Edit

Oh, THAT photo. I always like Pickins as Col. 'King' Kong of the Strategic Air Command. Kubrick was a genius.

Did you see the sendup of the Sellers character of 'Strangelove' himself, in THE AVENGERS? The female security boss 'Father' was made up to look like Sellers in the Kubrick film with his dark glasses etc. In fact in a later scene, Steed (the male lead) is shown a photo of Father with the villain played by Sean Connery, and I swear the photo is an old one of Sellers and Connery, but I'm not sure what film or TV show it came from. Or I could be wrong.

By Marc on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Don,

in the picture you sent me you are straddling the distilling device like Slim Pickens riding the a-bomb in Dr. Strangelove. With the exception of the neon-pink cowboy hat you're wearing, you are naked in the picture. The tattoo emblazoned on your chest declares BORN TO BOOZE. Also in the photo there is a lovely Thai women frantically fanning you with what appears to be peacock feathers. I must admit I was quite impressed by your massive member. It looks like an albino armadillo wearing a purple beret.

Don't you recall any of this?

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Pikkle, I will ask Ted if he minds a pic of the outside of the building being posted. Myself, I can't see any reason not to. The registered address of the company is public information.

The building is a large two storey 3000 sq ft dwelling in a walled compound in north Bangkok with about 10,000 square feet of land. It is worth about $400,000. We expect to lease an additional building very nearby for expansion.

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 07:47 pm: Edit

Marc, I believe I emailed you a stock photo, from the manufacturer, of a piece of equipment I was thinking about buying some 6 or more months ago. It would be just speculative of you to say that it is something I am actually now using in production. I think I know what I emailed you, and I can neither confirm nor deny that it is being used. I would of course appreciate your not distributing it, even if you hadn't already dumped the file. However in this instance it happens that it is no big secret. I just have to treat it as if it is, as a matter of course.

In any case, it is Ted's requirement to me, as a condition of our business relationship, that all this be kept confidential. It is also, now that we have incorporated Jade Liqueurs, company policy and I have my fellow officers and directors and shareholders -- a dozen or so of them -- to answer to. It's not up to me.

By Marc on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 07:14 pm: Edit

Well, I have seen pictures of some of the apparatus Don is using to make absinthe. He e-mailed them to me. I have since deleted them from my hard drive. Shit, if I'd known they would become so sought after, I would have held on to them.
Of course, if Don asked me not to share them, I would have honored his request.

By Pikkle on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 06:35 pm: Edit

You could just post a pic of the outside of the
building... I'll show you mine if you show me
yours...

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 06:28 pm: Edit

For that matter, as the facility will shortly be a government bonded warehouse, it will be under control of the Thai Excise Department and regulations would prevent anyone from entering without official authorization. This is because we will export only, and these arrangements are in lieu of the usual liquor tax-stamp procedure which would be required if we were not export-only. Those would not be to our advantage, as we would have to pay the tax, then ask for it back after export, and wait till hell freezes over for the refund. So the export-only procedure is better. Also this precludes any gray-market. No one will be buying these absinthes locally and exporting them around us

By Grimbergen on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 06:10 pm: Edit

Understood. Thanks anyway.

Grim

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 05:31 pm: Edit

By the way even if you came to Thailand no one is allowed to tour the production facilities. You would ne cordially invited to meet and have a drink or three, and probably fed some great Thai food. But no one gets to see the facilities except me, and Ted, and the Thai government. Trade secrecy.

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 05:27 pm: Edit

Grim, I'm afraid that is out of the question. How we produce our products is very much proprietary information, and Ted is adamant that no photos of the production areas be posted, used on website or distributed privately. It's a question of trade secrecy.

If you have any questions pls refer them to Ted.

It is possible that in the near future we may publish photos of the non-production areas: herbal storage, alcohol storage, QA/QC, bottling, labelling, packing and shipping, plus admin. Again, all matters relating to marketing and publicity ultimately are Ted's bailiwick. The absinthes were developed entirely by Ted not by me. I'm the production guy. And he's the marketeer.

I imagine Ted will publish details of his processes when our competitors do the same, which is to say, when pigs will fly.

By Grimbergen on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Ok. Here is a constructive request. Don is there any chance you have any pictures of your distillery that you could post? I don't plan on coming over to thailand any time soon and would love to see your setup. I'm sure the other guys would like to see it too. Since your product will soon be the center of discussion here, it would nice to see a picture of the place. Like putting a name to a face, but rather a picture to a product.

Grim

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation