The duellists

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:The duellists
By Don_walsh on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 06:13 am: Edit

Physicists argue with math, or they argue with experimental results. Arguing with mere words about anti-matter is...futile. I doubt Martin has the advanced math (neither do we) or the experimental results (at least we can point to the experimental results documented in the scientific literature, i.e., the professional journals. However martin cares nothing for that. I think he just wants to argue for argument's sake.

Not me.

By Tcsmit on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 02:30 am: Edit

Ja, that would be the Fermi Lab, named after esteemed scientist Enrico Fermi.

By Martin on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 06:04 pm: Edit

Dilettante,

I don't smoke cigarettes.

My comparison to a Black Hole wasn't meant to say that it would be exactly like a Black Hole, just a similar thing where everthing gets sucked into it.

Anyway, that argument is dead because none of us are physicists, therefore none of us really have the right to argue the definition of Antimatter.

My old boss IS a physicist. He used to work at Furmi Lab (shit, I may have spelled that wrong), and, among other things, he was part of a group that discovered one of the Quarks. I would pay much more heed to what he would have to say on the subject. He was a cool boss, he would explain why a lighting dimmer hums as a matter of the acceleration and deceleration of electrons and the radiation that produces. He had a much more effective way of arguing too, a way where he could actually convince me of his side and win my respect.

Anyway, I agree with most of what you say. I agree with that whole part about me travelling a road travelled before, and that's the whole reason why I'm so confounded that you older folks write me off as being some stupid kid. I'm further along that road than you seem to think. I'm not the lost babe in the woods, okay. I've lived plenty. I've had enough experience with things to know were I fit in and where I don't, and to know what is right and what is wrong.

-Martin

By Dilettante on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 08:50 am: Edit

Thank you for the honor of the offer, but I of course defer to your friend, thegreenimp.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 05:43 am: Edit

I unconditionally accept thegreenimp as my second. As the aggrieved party I have the choice of weapons, do I not?

By Thegreenimp on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 05:39 am: Edit

Don,
I would be glad to bring the weapons, our mutual friend advised me at a young age what to carry.
Regards
Jay

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 05:30 am: Edit

As the aggrieved party and as someone whose absinthe credentials have been already established, I feel no need for a level playing field with an unlettered puppy without portfolio.

The limericks matter not.

But, I accept some of your points.

If you wish to act as my second, I find this acceptable. Unless Ted or the greenimp has a prior claim, as these forumites know me personally, whereas you and I do not know each other.

By Petermarc on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 03:16 am: Edit

you are a fluke of the universe,
you have no right to be here,
and whether you believe it or not,
the universe,
is laughing behind your back...

By Dilettante on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 01:53 am: Edit

The ongoing fight between Mssrs Walsh & Martin is at times both fun and informative, but I, to, am starting to feel it should be channeled into its own thread, thus leaving the other threads to their original intents. Their being no evidence of seconds on the field, I will take up the mantle of arrogance and interpose myself (momentarily) as the next best thing (a third, if you will).

Firstly, addressing myself to Don Walsh:

Martin is all that you say, and more, but he is also young, and with youth comes the belief in one's uniqueness and value, conceits that allow them to survive until their armor has hardened. He is a cub, and while the mother bear cuffs her cubs with one paw, she hugs them with the other. I am not asking nor recommending such behavior from you (you are neither a bear nor his mother) but I do suggest you not be any more disappointed in him than our fathers' generation was with us. Also, you are of course aware that civilized societies judge a man by the strength of his enemies. Are you sure you choose Martin to be among these?

To Martin:

You may find that the company of old warriors is, like Absinthe without adulterants, an acquired taste; I believe that you will also find this a taste worth cultivating (if you survive). You may feel that as an angry young man you are treading new ground, but there are few paths that have been untrodden. It is the perspective of youth which does not allow for a clear view of those on the road ahead.

"you are a child of the Universe, and no less than the trees and the stars, there are a million just like you."

In regard to your posts about science, yes, these are just ways for scientists to explain things they don't understand. That is the nature of science. Anti-matter (as the term is used, not re-defined) is the best fit for certain observations: it has coherence, explains phenomena, produces robust predictions, and even allows for practical applications. Just so with the rest of science. Any debate over such things as anti-matter, chaos, or the flat earth theory is just that: debate. Until someone gives a better explanation, I (and most others) will continue to understand the world in terms of particle physics (and wave mechanics), complex systems, and a horizon produced by the Earth's curvature. Ignorance is no sin, but arrogant ignorance approaches such.

To the both of you:

It is not the battle I object to , it is the tiresome nature of it. You pretend to noble lineage, perhaps you can remember that whilst writing your flames: they should reflect your breeding. If you have a poetic bent, perhaps limericks?

There once was a fellow named Martin
whose breath smelled just like he's fartin'
"I drink Absinthe with Fresca
While wearing a dress-ka
and smoke cigarettes by the carton"

or

There once was a man name of Don
whose resume should have read "con"
he polished his gun
in the bright shining sun
and now he just can't get a hardon

I'm sure you could both do better. I am asking that should you merely wish to trade worn out epithets, you may do so directly and leave the forum to other topics.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation