Marty & Donnie's Big Gay Argument Thread

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Marty & Donnie's Big Gay Argument Thread
By Martin on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 09:23 am: Edit

My experience with Klipsch is that they're just loud. You get alot of sound for your money, but I prefer something more transparent on the top end. I do appreciate the design of the classic Klipsch Horn.

DIY is a great thing. I'm planning on building a phono preamp from the schematic in the old RCA Designer's Handbook. It's very simple and high quality, especially if you put a decent power supply with it.

My preference is a solid state line preamp with a tube power amp. That's the setup I have now. The preamp was a kit and it's pretty nice, it is a dual mono design with the PS in a separate chassis. Tubes really make the difference in the power amp as far as overall sound is concerned. I've tried about every combination of power/pre amp there is, and I think a tube power amp is where it's at. And if you have sensitive speakers (like the Klipsch), you don't need very much power at all. The tiny 5 Watt Cary 2A3 amps sound amazing. You would never think they were so low power.... you can do that kind of thing with a tube amp. There are Audio Note tube amps from Japan built with less than a dozen components, and they sound breathtaking.

I know there's more appropriate forums for this kind of discussion, but I wanted to see if any of my fellow absinthe fiends were into hi fi... and besides, this is Marty & Donnie's Big Gay Argument Thread.. anything goes!

-Martin

By Dilettante on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 08:15 am: Edit

Consumer audio is one of the few areas in electronics where the hobbiest can still produce better equipment than one can purchase (and at better cost). There is an argument for tube amps, but with current technology, I would go for as transparent a silicon power amp as possible (a good starting place for info is Randy Sloan's "Power Amplifier Construction Handbook") with a tube pre-amp. I have finished building a theremin and will be starting design and construction on an amp when I get settled into a new lab (in a few months).

Not to be a nag, but their are audio forums, too.

By Pikkle on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 08:06 am: Edit

For the money, go with Klipsch.

By Martin on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 07:37 am: Edit

I have an old Nakamichi CD player that I've been fixing up.

I agree with alot of what you have to say about the whole audiophile thing, Anatomist. Having been lucky enough to work in that store, I've listened to stereos worth at least as much as Mr. Walsh's still. They sound good... damn good, but the amount of money you have to spend to reach that level isn't really worth it. It truely is a playground for the rich, and having to deal with all the rich assholes who came in there is a big part of why I'm such a jaded anarchist these days.

But, alas, listening to a Mark Levinson reference system for 10 hours a day has left me horribly spoiled. Inferior audio maddens me. Bose speakers make my stomach turn. Monster Cable makes me livid. I'm an incurable audiophile, and I like it that way. With my personal system, I've proved to my friends that you don't have to spend a fortune to have quality sound. You just have to know what to get and be willing to look for a good deal. I haven't paid anywhere near $1,000 total for my system and it competes well with anything in the $5K to $8K range. Careful component selection, and a couple of sweet deals, have gotten a transparent, lifelike system that keeps me happy.

I think probably the most impressive component of my system is the Dynaco ST70 amp. It's all tube and in excellent condition. A few slight modifications (solid state rectifier, heavy duty binding posts, quality input jacks, new tubes) have made it on par with amps in the $3K range, and I only paid $350 for it. It's so quiet... not even the slightest hint of noise or hum.

Yeah, I've dealt with the whole apartment issue too, fortunately the Dynaco isn't a super powerful amp, so I could get it running good and hot without pissing the neighbors off too bad.

Lo-fi stuff can sound really cool on a fancy stereo. My co-workers and I used to love playing really inappropriate things on the reference system. Raw live stuff is great, if it was recorded decently, it can sound like you're right there.

There is definately a point of diminishing returns, but I've really gotten hooked on tube amps. A $600 used tube amp can easily sound as good as a $5,000 solid state amp. For some reason, it costs a fortune to get solid state to sound really good.

I was recently given an old 70's Sansui integrated amp. It doesn't sound super... it definately has a very cold solid state sound, but it's crazy loud, like most Japanese receivers and amps from that time. It makes a good party stereo. Denons are like that too... big and loud, but they tend to sound better. I would put a nice Denon over a Sony any day.

-Martin

By Treeman5 on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 05:49 am: Edit

you bitch like my ex wife....God rest her soul

By Treeman5 on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 05:45 am: Edit

Hey Martin guess what?

By Anatomist1 on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 03:40 am: Edit

I flirted with hi-fi for a while. I couldn't afford anything too fancy. I had some Nakimichi and Denon stuff. Unfortunately, owning super-powerful audio equipment in thin-walled apartments/flats makes one a raging asshole -- unless you just like to buy it and look at it. It seems like a playground for the rich, anyway, like Leica cameras. I get the impression that alot of those nitpickers spend more time purchasing and upgrading than listening.

I could see getting into a "grass is always greener" cycle, with radically diminishing returns in a pretty short span. Interestingly, stuff that isn't even audiophile quality that's produced now sounds better than stuff I couldn't afford back then. But, if I was into it now, I'd be saying it was unacceptable crap.

Right now, I'm plenty pleased with $100 Cambridge Audio computer speakers, and $60 walkman, and a little less so with my GM factory pickup stereo. A lot of what I listen to is lo-fi, or poor quality live stuff and bootlegs, anyway. I prefer a rawer presentation to polish, for the most part.

K.

By Don_walsh on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 03:13 am: Edit

Sorry, although I enjoy listerning to music, I'm afraid 25 years of listening to guns go off has taken its toll on certain frequency ranges, and thus I am a poor candidate to be a real audiophile.

By Martin on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 08:05 pm: Edit

Yes, no need to fight today.

There's probably no point in us fighting anyway. The more I look through the archives the more I see I'm treading the same ground many others have before. I'll just wait a month or two until your next would-be enemy comes along.

Are you into Hi-Fi? You seem like the type that might be. It's one of my hobbies and I have a vast wealth of knowledge about it (from working in one of Chicago's most respected high-end shops). I know the world of Hi-Fi is one filled with many different opinions. If you're into it, I'm sure you have many opinions about it, several of which are most likely contrary to mine. We could use this thread to fight about Hi-Fi and that would be our "thing" we do... fight about which speakers are better.

The best sounding speakers I've ever heard are the MBL 101D Omnidirectional Speakers. They are amazing. I own a pair of the Magnepan SMGa. I love them. They go well with my vintage Dynaudio Stereo 70 amp.

Merry Christmas,

Martin

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 06:42 pm: Edit

Sorry, I have only the vaguest recollection of Canute. He obviously didn't make much of an impression.

I am hoping I needn't insult you on Christmas.

By Martin on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 06:36 pm: Edit

Don,

Hey, I was looking thru the archives and found some interesting things. It looks like this whole idea of an "arugment thread" has been proposed before. I also found posts from that guy Canute. Interesting, though I am a little insulted you thought I was him. It just looks like you're a magnet for assholes.

It also looks like the same arguments have been going on over and over, at least since September. I jumped into all of this without prior knowledge of that. I probably should have read all that first, then I probably wouldn't have said much of anything. I still don't like you shitting on Betty. She's done more for the modern absinthe market than you.

-Martin

By Martin on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 05:37 pm: Edit

Yoo - hooo, Donnie!

Hey, stop treating me like an inferior. No life experience you may have could possibly justify your arrogance.

I have plenty of respect for my elders, but only when they give me reasons that I feel justify them deserving it. And showoffs NEVER impress me.

You may have done many things, but to that, I have only this to say, "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Oh, and I've never done Ludes.

-Martin

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation