Hey Marc! You're the Music Expert

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Hey Marc! You're the Music Expert
By Marc on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 06:14 pm: Edit

yeah, I missed your buddy. He came to the bar after I'd left for Vegas. Though, I'm rarely at the Rodeo anymore. I just book the bands and show up once in a while to make sure the place looks good. 16 years running a bar is a long fukkin time. Particularly in the 80's ..with all that Peruvian flake floating around. I shudder just thinking about it.

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 06:03 pm: Edit

Yeah, my friend commented on the bar staff when he visited the Rodeo...

By Marc on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 05:11 pm: Edit

The Mercury and The Rodeo Bar are always going after the same acts. The Mercury has a great sound system. The Rodeo has better looking bartenders.

By Eric on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Did not play at the rodeo w/Wayne the Train. I quit playing with him in 96. nobody stays in his band for very long. we did play once in NYC at a place called the mercury lounge. I think it's on houston st.

By Marc on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 12:48 pm: Edit

I know Wayne Hancock. He's played my bar, The Rodeo Bar in NYC

By Eric on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 10:51 am: Edit

Miles jr. also has a record label called ARK 21. I used to play in a band with a guy named Wayne Hancock who records with them.

By _blackjack_ on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 07:37 am: Edit

Don, for the sake of my sanity, could you please pretend that you don't know all about the things that I pretend my government isn't doing...? :)

By Anatomist1 on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 06:49 am: Edit

I always liked Rumblefish. Cool cinematography, and music, including great time-lapse stuff. I think the Hinton story turned a lot of people off, because I am under the impression that it is not well regarded. I especially like the typewriter track.

K.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 05:55 am: Edit

Miles Sr died 1/19/91, I am desolated and feeling very cut off from the old crowd. Well, he was overthrowing governments when I was quite literally, making green babytracks in my diapers. I am proud to have known him at all.

Miles his son started the IRS record label and manages the Police. Personal manager for Sting, but you know that.

Sherman, yeah, drummer with Police and lots of other stuff. I didn't know he was in Rumble Fish. FFC is a friend of my...no, I'll save that one for later.

By Marc on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 05:46 am: Edit

Stewart Copeland has done some movie soundtracks.
Including Francis ford Coppola's RUMBLEFISH.
He's an amazing drummer and composer. His brother, Miles Jr., started a music booking agency
called F.B.I. (an in joke, obviously). Miles Jr. recently published an autobiography.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 05:39 am: Edit

Oh, yes. Stewart Copeland. Played with a little known artist named Sting, didn't he?

That's Miles's boy.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 05:36 am: Edit

Got another one for you, Marc.

Isn't there a (first name something) Copeland who is or used to be lead singer with the Police?

His father lives in London but he is originally from Alabama. His name is Miles, and he wrote a book called "The Game of Nations". Quite a good book actually. Miles used to be station chief in Cairo and he was #2 to Kim Roosevelt when we toppled the Tudeh Party in Iran in '53, and Mossadegh as Prime Minister, reinstalling the Shahimshah Reza Pahlavi II, which bought us all of 17 years.

Maybe if I do a search on my old drinking buddy Miles I will discover he has died too, he ain't no spring chicken, but music was his passion, he played jazz sax and clarinet with some greats in the 30s and 40s, before the wars got in the way, and his son has just picked up the tune from his dad.

The son had a lot to do with the TV series THE EQUALIZER -- which was not just a little, patterned after dear old Miles.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 05:22 am: Edit

I think some is on CD. I just did a search on his dad, and some stuff popped up about Shawn, 'cause he did some songs after some of his father's poetry. Hia father was a spook, his uncle an illustrious and senior spook. If you listen to some loonies his uncle was a kingpin in the JFK assassination, but that's a lie. Shawn lived all over the world with his father. A citizen of the planet.

See: http://www.shawnphillips.com/store.html

I ain't trying to sell Shawn Phillips CDs but it looks like 12 re-releases to me.

BTW Shawn was born in '43 so damn! he is 8 years older than me. He does have a kid brother named Liam about my age or younger but, as far as I know he never cut any records.

Shawn's dad died in '91, I only just found out and I miss him. His uncle died in '88, hell, I only met him in maybe '87. He is the guy who pulled the plug on Salvadore Allende, helped with Jacobo Arbenz, tried hard with Castro (win some lose some) and ended up as boss of all US Western Hemisphere covert ops till '75 when he quit, after his close friend Richard Welch (clearly a distant septman of mine) was assassinated in Athens.

By Marc on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 03:53 am: Edit

Don,

I used to own some Shawn Phillips records. Talk about a hippie. The guy had blonde hair down to his ass. He was a fine songwriter. Unfortunately, I don't think his stuff is available on cd.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 03:05 am: Edit

Ever hear of Shawn Phillips?

Frankly I have never heard his music but his father (dead ten years now) was a friend of mine, and son Shawn has 15 albums mostly from A&M.

'Folk-rock' crossover was the usual description.

The father and uncle are more interesting than the music, though, from my point of view. The father James Atlee Phillips is one of my favorite novelists. The uncle, David Atlee Phillips, is the focus of the jfk nuts as 'Mr Bishop'. I knew them both. David didn't kill Kennedy. And James did a lot more than write books.

Interesting?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation