Gasp! An absinthe thread!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Gasp! An absinthe thread!
By Artemis on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 12:01 am: Edit

Well, LaSala has virtually no louche to begin with, but as you know, MM 140 louches thick and white, which made it all the more startling to see it clear.

By Black_rabbit on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 10:48 am: Edit

Un-louches? That's what I meant... it goes from cloudy to clear overnight in the fridge.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 10:09 am: Edit

I found that Lasala does that as soon as I
pour it into the glass.

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 08:39 am: Edit

Ah yes, death and beetles:

The Stag-Beetle

Death implies change and individuality; if thou be
THAT which hath no person, which is beyond the
changing, even beyond changlessness, what hast
thou to do with death?
In birth of individuality is ecstasy; so also is its
death.
In love the individuality is slain; who loves not love?
Love death therefore, and long eagerly for it.
Die Daily.

Aleister Crowley
The Book of Lies

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 06:56 am: Edit

I thought the disappearance of the red colour in Serpis was due to the dead beetle remnants passing on to a better world.

Hobgoblin

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 05:36 am: Edit

As for the color change in Serpis, without knowing exactly which red coloring is used, it is difficult to determine just what happened.

As far as the louche settling in MM, it seems like gravity settling of suspended material to me. Anything that precipitates from solution should settle gravimetrically given enough time.

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 04:28 am: Edit

There's no doubt a chemical explanation, which a chemist in the bunch will no doubt expound in short order. Or maybe not.

At the wedding, I was seated a table with lot of people of a younger generation than mine. All of them perked their ears up at "absinthe", but nobody wanted to touch it except one young man with spikey flaming red hair. He liked it so well he asked for more. He and I drank MM the rest of the evening, but unfortunately combined with cheap draft beer, which had more to do with me passing out on the porch than did the absinthe.

By Black_rabbit on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 02:28 am: Edit

Artemis, Lasalla does the same thing. My girl and I got a bit too far past the clarity stage and into the 'I can't walk straight' stage once. I put her half full glass in the fridge and went to bed (well, the floor, the doorjamb, the floor, then the bed.) The next day it was clear yellow.

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 12:40 am: Edit

Lord H. screv:

"I made myself a glass of Serpis, had to rush out and put it in the fridge. Came back 7 hours later and the colour had changed from red to amber. Has anybody got a clue why this should happen."

It's the beetle blood what does it. Serves you right for giving away the secret of Serpis red in a separate thread when you screved:

"Don't forget my favourite, Serpis, Absinthe coloured by the blood of crushed beetles."

Seriously, I brought a bottle of MM 140 to a wedding in Omaha some time back. When I got back from the wedding, I prepared a glass of MM with water, put it on a table on the front porch, and promptly fell asleep on a couch that was out there. When I woke up the next morning, the flourescent green louche of the MM was nowhere to be seen - in fact the liquid in the glass (still a full glass) was CLEAR; just a little cloudiness settled at the bottom of the glass. I drank it of course, and it was distinctly flat.

By Pikkle on Monday, January 01, 2001 - 12:55 pm: Edit

LH

Have you cleaned your fridge lately?
Never done that experiment, even with Serpis.
Then again, I never leave a drink to sit for 7
hours no matter how badly I have to rush out.
It either goes down the hatch or down the
drain, the latter being the less desirable
course of action, avoided at all costs.
Perhaps there is actually something organic
in the coloring of Serpis. Or did it just lose it's
louche while it waited for you to come home
and drink it. I ought to have you arrested for
absinthe abuse!

By Martin on Monday, January 01, 2001 - 06:21 am: Edit

Happy New Year! I hope the rest of you had as much fun as I.

I never got around to trying my abinthe/schnapps idea because the liquor stores closed before I could get what I needed. I DID try the ol' Ernest Hemingway "Death in the Afternoon" absinthe and champaign. It was VERY good... you do have to be careful how much of that you have.. it can tear you up pretty quickly.

I was actually able to keep myself under control and not overdrink to the point of sickness. I think it was smart that I only stuck with absinthe the whole night (except when I mixed the absinthe with the champaign...). It didn't take very much to get me where I wanted to be. All in all.. a very enjoyable evening... and I even scored a few absinthe converts!

Of course, the best part of the evening was the crime spree. My friends and I broke into some old people's homes and broke all their furniture and pissed on their rugs. One old man tried to scare us off with a gun, but we took care of him... we took care of him good.

Alright, I made that last paragraph up. There was no crime spree. I guess I didn't drink enough. I did get molested by a dog. At least it was a female dog, so I don't feel quite as bad. I think she liked my hair.

-Martin

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, January 01, 2001 - 04:06 am: Edit

A question on Serpis.

I made myself a glass of Serpis, had to rush out and put it in the fridge. Came back 7 hours later and the colour had changed from red to amber. Has anybody got a clue why this should happen.

Hersaint,

Glad you enjoyed your Sebor. In my opinion Deva is almost (but not quite) as good. Mix it with what you like, it's all a matter of personal taste. I often put a spoonfull of honey in my Absinthe.

Hoobgoblin

By Martin on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 10:29 am: Edit

I would recommend trying it with Sprite or 7-Up. The sweetness and carbonation really go well with it.

"...giggly... not far from being pleasently stoned..."
My thoughts exactly. Welcome to our wonderful green world.

Happy New Year!

-Martin

By Hersaint on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 04:41 am: Edit

Lordhobgogblin

Yeah I noticed no Louche at all..... Used ice water gonna try it with straight ice tonight..... to be honest I didnít like it with water as it tasted a bit watery (no shit sherlock)... bit too strong neat (theres no pleasing some people)

q: can you have it with lemonade or is this taking the piss? (Like ruining a good scotch)

I had about 4 glasses can't say I was drunk but on my way kind of a nice warm felling I was also very giggly.... Not a feeling far from being pleasantly stoned definitely a different feeling to normal alcohol.....

I await my Diva with bated breath....

Happy New Year (Again)

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 08:23 pm: Edit

Hersaint,

UK supermarket chains, bloody rip-off merchants, £25 and you don't even get half a litre. Anyway Sebor is great Absinthe.

A shame Kyle isn't allowed to supply the UK anymore, as you got half litre bottles and at a cheaper price. The cost of it has caused me to stop buying it and switch to Deva or Serpis from Spirit's Corner, much cheaper.

Anyway enjoy it, Sebor is the business, (even if it doesn't louche).

Hobgoblin

By Hersaint on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 02:32 am: Edit

Something else absinthe related

Just got back from Tescos where I purchased Sebors Absinth .... going to be trying it tonight ...... Thought I would have a quick smell (love the smell, smells of aniseed and herbs remember this is my first time) can you believe the top would'nt come off, it just kept turning and turning.

in the end had to wrench it off and broke the cap ive put it in another bottle. but still not happy as i paid £25 for it i was going to ask if it will be okay in a plastic bottle put we will probably drink it all tonight ...

Once again Happy New Year

By Martin on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Here's something absinthe-related:

I'm finishing up a cocktail I tried out tonight... absinthe, vermouth, vodka, and ginger ale. It's pretty good, and I'm having trouble typing. Tommorow, I will figure out the ratios so I can give you guys a definitive recipe. A quick description would be that it has a little bit of absinthe, a nearly equal little bit of vermouth, about twice that amount of vodka, and a bunch of ginger ale.

The taste is kinda hard to describe.. it definately has an absinthe-y flavor to it, but milder and very easy to drink. It has a nice bitter sweetness to it and the anise isn't overpowering at all. I think this would make a good party drink, especially if you want to get VERY drunk, because it would be easy to drink many of these. I feel kinda buzzy right now off just the one... its hard to say what kind of buzz it is, but it reminds me of an absinthe buzz. I feel warm and a little numb, but my mind is thinking very clearly. It is a good happy state, much like the absinthe buzz. Something tells me that if I drank more of these my happy buzz would quickly turn into falling-down sloppy drunkenness. Thank God I'm out of vodka.

As Martha Stuart would say: "This is a very good thing."

-Martin

By _blackjack_ on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 03:57 am: Edit

Well, my New-Years-Tide-Me-over-'Till-Jade-Liqueurs shipment from Spirits Corner arrived yesterday (6 workdays after shipment, despite the X-Mass rush). It was, as usual, obsessively well packed to the point that no sane customs inspector would go to the trouble of opening it.

It contained my first bottle of Segarra. Upon opening the bottle, the first thing I noticed was that it has much less of an alcoholic aroma than Deva or especially Mari Mayans. It's 90 proof, but smells like less. The scent is also less anise-y than the other two absinthes I've tried, with a bitter tone.

I dribbled a little bit on my fingers when I was pouring my first glass, and when I licked it off, I was surprised by how sweet it was. Not syrupy, but more like honey. In the glass, it was pale amber, kinda like weak American beer, and it louched to a pale, eggshell color.

Tasting it, I rather wished I had tried it neat, since the weaker alcohol content and sweeter flavor made the water and sugar unnecessary. The flavors were subtler than Deva, but more complex. There was a unique sharpness to it that I couldn't put my finger on, but I liked it. I'm going to try it neat tonight.

I also got a bottle of Amesinthe, just out of curiosity. The bottling and labeling are gorgeous (especially next to Segarra's rough-and-ready look). The bottle is tall and slender, almost black, with a cork stopper. The label is all art deco with a neat font. I could find nothing on the label to indicate that this was actually absinthe, except for the "-sinthe" in the name. It doesn't even have the "extrait du plaints de" that Pťre Kermann or the other confirmed French absinthes have. The label identifies it as Anise Bitter.

The aroma is mostly that of star anise (star anise extract is listed in the ingredients at 1.2%, I think) but with a bitter finish. The bitterness is not the same as that of Segarra, tho; it is more vegetal, like Angostura Bitters.

In the glass, it is a darker amber, but it's louche is pale green. It is very sweet--cane sugar is the second ingredient--and needs no sugar. It is quite tasty, and, again less alcoholic than I am used to. There are a lot of flavors going on in there, and I suspect it is herbally much more complex than Deva.

I don't have the experience to taste for absinthium, but considering its sweetness, its caramel-like color, and the fact that there is nothing on the label to indicate otherwise, I agree that this is a good pastis, not absinthe, and wonder why Spirits Corner chose to categorize it as it did.

Also in my order were two reproduction spoons. They are a little flatter than some of the repros I've seen, but they are also nice and thick and not at all flimsy. Itís more than worth the 2 Euros to get one of these thrown in with your next order.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation