DOM Benedictine question....

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:DOM Benedictine question....
By Melinelly on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 10:26 am: Edit

or just toss in a bottle with your next spirits corner order. they've got the green and yellow regular versions.

we sell miniatures of chartreuse at my workplace. i could get a couple and ship them out to ya if you don't want to go buying big bottles. email me off list.

By Pikkle on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 04:52 am: Edit

Any good liquor store has it Martin... were not
talking about the 7-11 either.

By Martin on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 04:05 am: Edit

Thanks for the info Mr. Walsh. Sounds very interesting indeed. I would really like to try it. Where can I get it? It doesn't sound easy to come by in the Midwest. I don't suppose there's any place online I can order it from?

By Pikkle on Thursday, December 28, 2000 - 03:21 pm: Edit

Ewww... i can't do chartreuse... friend brought
a bottle over one night when we were drinking
some Deva and it did not sit well with me... a
little too herbal or something.. anyway, it was
the yellow, so the green might really scare me.

By Melinelly on Thursday, December 28, 2000 - 10:32 am: Edit

aye, Chartreuse is yummy.

sometimes, the green can be a bit much for me though. i have to be in the mood.

i prefer the yellow. neat. some say it's better on the rocks, but i like it neat and clean... and room temperature =). the green i have to have on ice though or it can be overpowering. don't have a snifter, though i imagine that would be one of the nicer ways to take it. i use a slightly flared beer tasting glass =)

By Don_walsh on Thursday, December 28, 2000 - 06:34 am: Edit

Martin, Chartreuse is a family of strong herbal liqueurs that are produced by the Carthusian Monastery near Grenoble, in the French Alps. There is Yellow Chartreuse, the stronger Green Chartreuse, the rarer aged Chartreuse VEP in both colors, the 9th Centenary commemorative bottling, and the small bottles of Elixir Vegetal. The recipe is old and complex. Chartreuse is an elder cousin of Absinthe and is built on an Angelica root base while Absinthe is built on Aniseed base. The Elixir Vegetal is made to the original recipe while the others have evolved into slightly simpler forms.

They (Chartreuse Diffusion) claim Green Chartreuse is the only completely naturally (chlorophyllically) colored liqueur in the world but, we are about to prove them wrong.

I like Chartreuse (esp the verte) very much, straight up in a snifter or as a frappe. Ted is not so fond of angelica as I am. Angelica is also part of the base of Benedictine which I also like. I just like herbal liqueurs, what can I say?

There ARE recipes for both of these liqueurs published on the Net. I can't vouche for their authenticity, I haven't the time to try them as I am busy making absinthe!

By Midas on Thursday, December 28, 2000 - 12:13 am: Edit

Abramelin, we are looking into Benedictine, as well as Vermouth, Chartreuse and Campari at the moment. Mind you, monks sure know how to keep a secret...

By Petermarc on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 11:26 pm: Edit

there have been a couple of threads that have really gone into this...check in the is interesting that the only liquor in france
(the special elixir vegetal) that is legally allowed to be 71% alcohol (142 proof)is made by some monks who can claim 'god's trade secret' so as to not disclose that it contains absinthe, which it most likely is not absinthe in the drinkability department, but not bad...there is another alcohol in france that is stronger...'ricoles' which is a tonique hygiénique
of mint(80% alcohol)that is sold is usually put in drops on a piece of sugar as a breath mint, but, i imagine, could make a scary mixed drink...i know of no recipes...

By Martin on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 09:58 pm: Edit

What is Chartreuse? I've heard people talk about it being a popular thing to drink in NOLA, but I've I never seen it anyplace else.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 09:54 pm: Edit

As we have seen 'wormwood' can mean several different species. I can't commit us to analytical work on Benedictine; it is expensive work to do, and the question of Benedictine is an irrelevant one to our absinthe work.

I like this liqueur, but as it is readily available, like Chartreuse, I don't see any point in trying to unravel its secrets.

By Abramelin on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 06:29 pm: Edit

I recently tried a few nips an old bottle of DOM Benedictine at a friend's house over Christmas, and was suprised at drink's taste. I actually really enjoyed its mix of many different flavours.
So I bought a bottle of it only today.
What I was suprised to learn that on the site, the home of DOM Benedictine they mention that it contains wormwood. Does anyone know, perhaps Don or Ted or anyone who knows their spirits and liqueurs well, which type of wormwood this is?
This could also prove usefull to Midas, and getting Absinthe into bottle shops here in OZ. Benedicitine is available at any decent bottle shop here so wormwood/thujone legal arguments could be cleared up with this knowledge.

On a side note, DOM Benedictine seems to have a really interesting history...monks..lost recipies...and its distallation to this day takes place in a huge palace!
I love drinking these historical bottles!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation