Archive through December 3, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:German Labeled Deva:Archive through December 3, 2000
By Germanandy on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 02:31 am: Edit

hello,

the translation is:
deva absenta
by an traditional recipe, lohmann spirituosen
presents you now the deva absenta, the modern form of an traditional beverage (absinth), which was banned in it's original form at the beginn of the 20. century.
it survives in spain over all the years in some small distillerys, to be descovered in a new changed form.
a refreshing, aniseed, light bitter taste.
pure on ice or pour it with clear water.
ingredients:
alcohol, water, sugar, anise, fenel, wormwood, herbal essences and colors e102, e131, e110, e124.
atention! alcohol can harm your health.
product contain thuyon, made of artemisia absinthium (wermut).

i hope you can read it :-)

the url is: www.absinthhandel.de

another url is: www.absinth-shop.de

thank you don for you offer, i will send you my adress soon.

regards

andy

By Bob_chong on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Don,

Can I get an experimental bottle, too, to see if it gets through US Customs?

just kidding

BC

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Dear Germanandy

As I believe it was you who asked me in email, pls let us have the names of the absinthe sellers in Germany. And yes, I'd be happy to ship you a bottle as an experiment, to see if it gets through customs on your side. This will have to await our rollout as until then I can't ship anything anywhere under Thai law.

Cheers

Don

By Thegreenimp on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 01:04 pm: Edit

Andy,
Could you post a translation of the rear label, it is completely different than the Spanish label, and I am curious what all the text was.
Regards
Jay

By Germanandy on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 12:53 pm: Edit

p.s.
i have a picture of the german label, if anyone likes to have it, i can send it to you.
(i dont know how to post it here)

mfg

andy

By Germanandy on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 12:50 pm: Edit

hello,

it is legal in germany.
but we have the 10mg/kg regulation (eu).

mfg

andy

By Tabreaux on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 11:41 am: Edit

If it is indeed legal, my guess is that Germany simply embraced the EEU regs.

By Petermarc on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 11:27 am: Edit

this may lend credence to what someone told me--- that in 1938, absinthe was made legal again in france...does anyone know of this?

By _blackjack_ on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 10:55 am: Edit

I mean, Germany has gone through several governments since the absinthe prohibition days, so it wouldn't surprise me if the ban slipped through the cracks in all the transition.

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 10:25 am: Edit

yeah from what I have heard absinthe is legal in Germany, I have friends that have imported la bleue and other Swiss absinthes into Germany and sent them to me no problem...just finding a place in your car to get it across...

Funny side not...the Germans during the occupation of France banned absinthe and all herbal liquers. The Gestapo were used to supress bootleggers and the SS often destoyed stills. It was funny that a Nazi-historian friend of mine says he has a photograph of a Einsatzgruppen SS solider busting some French stills. I am going to see if I can get a copy of it...it would be funny if it were la bleue...Blasted SS Scum..

- J

By Thegreenimp on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 09:37 am: Edit

Don,
I had heard it was unavailable like you have heard, so I had told my friend that it was doubtfull, he happened to come accross an internation type of liquor store in Berlin I believe, and they just had two bottle of Deva.
He did say the store owner told him it was legal there.
Regards
Jay

By Bob_chong on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 09:14 am: Edit

I saw a German website selling Deva a while back. Didn't bother to bookmark it, tho', but it does confirm the notion of absinthe in the Vaterland.

Sadly, the site also promoted the flaming sugar cube "ritual."

BC

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 01:18 am: Edit

Jay, I got an email from a German guy asking about Jade Liqueurs absinthes. He was inquiring about shipments into Germany, I told him I thought absinthe was prohibited in Germany.

He replied that several companies are importing and retailing Spanish and Czech absinthes there.

Apparently this may be a more open market than I was led to believe. I'd been told that the absinthe ban in German was constitutional just as in France and (until recently) Switzerland.

So this may be worth looking into.

Also other sources tell me that the Cz absinthes are available in Germany close to the Czech border. But that I attributed to normal crossborder contraband traffic.

By Thegreenimp on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 11:32 pm: Edit

A friend called me today after returning from a trip to Germany. He surprised me by saying that he had a bottle of Deva that he purchased in Berlin. I was unaware that Absinthe was available there so I was surprised to see a bottle of Deva with the label in all German text. The front and back labels were more descriptive than the Spanish label, quite nice in comparison to the current home label.
The taste seemed to be typical Deva, so no other apparent difference than the label.
Regards
Jay

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation