Archive through December 11, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Jade Liqueurs Reception and Tasting: The Brawl in Bangkok 2001:Archive through December 11, 2000
By Don_walsh on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 06:51 am: Edit

Wow, this thread meandered around...we now have at least 3 forumites travelling to Bangkok from US and Europe for the Bangkok Bash. It may grow, or it may stay small, in which case it will turn into a dinner party with Ted and myself, our ladies, our Thai partners and their ladies, and our guests from abroad. Still very cool. Wish I could make the New Orleans bash but I really will be required here making absinthe...

By Bob_chong on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 05:40 am: Edit

Tavis:

You can edit a post for two hours after posting. Click on "edit profile" under the "utilities" section over there on the left.

Then sign in, and you'll see a button to edit under the "most recent posts" section of your profile.

BC

By Tavis on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 05:34 am: Edit

oops, pays to be precise, I meant all beer used to be made through natural fermentation, not with fruit. Silly, imprecise me...

Tavis

By Tavis on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 05:33 am: Edit

Well it's how all beer used to be made so I hear. Does anyone know whether anyone is still making beer with rosemary flavouring instead of hops. I'd love to try that.

Tavis

By Artemis on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 05:29 am: Edit

Ditto that. I think it's spelled Gueuze but pronounced "Gerz". Even the lambics that are reviled by beer "critics" for being too sweet or fruity (Lindeman's) are wonderful in my book. The smaller, "farmhouse" labels such as Boon that are dry and crisp are worth the search to find them in the U.S. For those who might be wondering, all Lambics are sour. Some are more sour than others. Some are fermented with fruit (cherries, raspberries, peaches) and some are not. The origin of the sourness is a natural fermentation, during which the beer is left open to the air, to be "inseminated" by the micro-organisms in the air. It's definitely a close to nature product.

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 04:42 am: Edit

I think that Lambic is one of my favourite styles of beer. A dry framboise is great for a summer drink and guerze (sp?) is also hard to beat. These beers spend months macerating with fruit in barrel and suffer no problems due to lack of preservatives.

By Artemis on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 02:23 am: Edit

"You probably know this, but just to clarify, ALL barelywines are ales. But not all strong beers are barelywines..."

Not all strong beers are ales, either. Paulaner Salvator comes to mind; that's a lager and a magnificent one at that. I know that not all strong beers are *called* barleywines, but it's not a legitimate nomenclature in my opinion (being purely at the discretion, no make that whim of whoever is making/selling the beer in question). If the brewers or distributors of Scaldis saw fit to call it a barleywine, I don't think U.S. consumers would bitch about it. If Scaldis uses one of those wild-ass Belgian yeast strains that lends that characteristic "Belgian" quality, that would be the thing that sets it apart from Bigfoot, et. al.

My own favorite Belgian beer is lambic, almost any lambic - I don't like the estery character of the big Belgian beers that aren't lambics (Chimay, etc.) - those give me a headache that even formaldehyde would be hard put to match.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 01:39 pm: Edit

Grim: don't be so quick on the trigger with the "complete bullshit" remarks, and the sarcasm won't be necessary.

From my point of view you got off very light. In the future, get your facts straight. This was about beer not absinthe or I wouldn't have been so offhanded. In other words: Fuck with me where I live, and I'll hand you your head. Fair enough? Don't beard the lion in his own den. You needn't love me, dammit, but give me my due.

By Grimbergen on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 11:08 am: Edit

Artemis,

Urban legend. Yup that's why I called "bullshit." I thought my art was being maligned by some nasty legend. Oh well.

You probably know this, but just to clarify, ALL barelywines are ales. But not all strong beers are barelywines...
An 8% barleywine IMHO is on the low side for the style. I regularly drink an amazing beer that is 12%. In the US it is called Scaldis, in beligum it is Bush (not to be confused with the US bush beer).

Melinelly,
Indeed, an extra year does do bigfoot some good. Gives those crazy hops a year to calm down a bit.

Don,
I doubt that the french still use formaldehyde in their beer. I've spent a lot of time in france (lived in belgium for 8 years), and drank a lot of crappy french beer. I never noticed anything on the labels. I don't think this is the type of thing that would sit well with the french, they are even more reactionary then us americans.

Sorry again for the "bullshit" comment. But geez go easy on those backhanded compliments, they sting like a bitch.

Grim

By Don_walsh on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 03:30 am: Edit

I think it is a rare technique confined to a very few products and I do not believe that any brewery in US is doing this today, probably not for several decades. I suspect the FDA reg is there to let Singha and French '33' in. I don't believe Vietnamese beer is yet available in USA but after Clinton's craven visit to Vietnam maybe it will be soon.

As far as I know Singha and maybe Amarit are the only Thai beers preserved this way. What may have transpired with Vietnamese '33' since 1975 I dinna ken...

As to French beers, I have no expertise. However there must be a better spokesperson for French breweries out there somewhere.

I LIKE Singha. I occasionally drink a Singha or two if my preferred labels are out of stock in the neighborhood groceries. I just know better than to drink it regularly, because the formalin will bite you...

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 02:16 am: Edit

So maybe the French and Americans put formaldehyde in Viet beer out of spite for past hassles...

Seriously, couldn't it just be an export thing for shipping long distance to hot countries?

By Artemis on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 01:50 am: Edit

Melinelly: "Sierra Nevada Bigfoot "Ale" (it's a barleywine)"

It would be more accurate this way: Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale (it's a "barleywine").

It's ale without question, because it's made with ale yeast as opposed to lager yeast. That's what makes an ale an ale. "Barleywine" doesn't carry with it any such clear cut distinction - they're called barleywines because of high alcohol content, but that's relative - how high is high?
For beer, 8% is high indeed, but a lot of wines are higher than that and damned few beers are.

I was ready to call bullshit on Don way before Grimbergen did, but I decided to do it privately and then forgot to do it. I always assumed those stories of formaldehyde in Vietnam-era beer were urban legends. I guess I've learned something too, but I wasn't in harm's way because I'm suspicious of almost any beer in a bottle unless I put it there myself.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 11:20 pm: Edit

FDA or no FDA, formaldehyde preserved beers give their regular drinkers a nasty headache. Easily distinguished, IMHO, from an ordinary hangover. I am speaking from personal experience with both Viet '33' and Thai Singha beers. I never drank enough French '33' to find out, but I suspect the same is true. In USA I only drank Singha occasionally. And the USA-imported Singha is not as high an alcohol content as the Thai domestic product, or more precisely, the Thai domestic Singha varies wildly in degree, while the ATF holds the US-import to a narrower range.

By Grimbergen on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 09:51 pm: Edit

If anyone is interested the FDA reg is in:

TITLE 21--FOOD AND DRUGS

CHAPTER I--FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES (CONTINUED)

PART 173--SECONDARY DIRECT FOOD ADDITIVES PERMITTED IN FOOD FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION

By Grimbergen on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Dang, you got me before I could post my retraction.

By Grimbergen on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Well what do you know. Sorry Don, is seems you are probably right. Black rabbit concurs, and it appear that even the FDA has approved its use as a preservative. Well you learn something every day. This is the first I've heard of its use, but then again, I travel more in microbrewery circles and generally don't associate with industrial brewers.

Grim

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Grim, I admire your hubris. Calling something I say about Thai beer when I am sitting in Bangkok lo these dozen years, from your somewhat more distant vantage in the groves of academe in the USA 'complete bullshit', now that takes hubris.

Are you sure you don't want to backpeddle a little?

I dunno if '33' as produced in France or exported to the US is still preserved this way. But I do know that Singha beer (Boonrawd Brewery, Bangkok) is made this way and that Vietnamese '33' Ba Mui Ba was made this way prior to '75 and is likely the same today.

The preservation of commercial beer involves more than alcohol and hops. Breweries who ship their beer worldwide by container loads face unpredictible delays. I know that one attempt to introduce Budweiser into the Thai market some years ago was thwarted because Boonrawd, which owned 95% of the market then, paid Customs to delay release until the beer had gone bad.

I get my information from talking to commercial brewers here; the people who run Thai Amarit Brewery (Amarit, Chang, Carlsberg and Phuket Island Lager Beers) also run the royal distillery monopoly concession. That's where I buy my 95% neutral spirits, the word 'monopoly' is taken seriously here when concatonated with 'royal'.

By Melinelly on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 05:28 pm: Edit

mmmmmm.... barleywine =)

there's a liquor store in San Francisco on the southeast side of Carl and Cole, on Cole... that keeps the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot "Ale" (it's a barleywine) for a further year before selling it to the public. IMHO this is the best way to drink it, aged for two years. I think Bigfoot may be my fave domestic, but I had several in England that upped my standards tremendously!

also, in England... I think at the graveyard outside Winchester Cathedral... there's a headstone with a cute poem about a soldier who dies from drinking "weak" beer that he brought from home (against the advice of his comrades) heh.

By Black_rabbit on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 04:12 pm: Edit

hey Grim, I don't know if it still does, but when I was a boy, Miller Lite listed formaldehyde as an ingredient. I recall the night I noticed that vividly- all the grownups in the room were drinking it, and were blearily horrified. I got to explain to one inebriated biker fellow that it was used for embalming fluid.

Ah, Memories...

By Grimbergen on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 03:20 pm: Edit

formaldehyde?
Sorry Don, but I don't know where you heard that but it is complete bullshit. No one uses it to preserve beer. As Bob said, hops and alcohol is all it takes. Most mainstream beers will also be pasteurized.

As for the shelf life of beer, it can vary greatly. I have had superb beers that are very old, the oldest was 15 years old. As a general rule of thumb stronger beers age well. I regularly cellar my brews for over a year before drinking them. Several commercial barley wines (strong type of beer) available in the US are aged 1yr before release.

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 10:27 am: Edit

High alcohol content and hops will preserve beer (yes, hops are a preservative). That is why IPA, for example, is so strong in both categories: the beer had to stay fresh while being transported on a ship from Mother England to the troops in occupied India.

Beer is perishable. The shelf life of home brewed beer, which uses neither formaldehyde nor pasteurization, seems to be many months. Mine never lasted that long, since I always drank it up fairly quickly. I remember having some samples to give my brother-in-law that were 6 mos. old and the beer was fine.

Again, this is why we should drink locally whenever possible. As a general rule of thumb, fresh beer is always better than pasteurized, mass-produced beer.

BC

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 07:24 am: Edit

Special export strength for us Brits ;-)

By Tavis on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 06:12 am: Edit

How come you get 1666 and I only get 1664? S'not fair....

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 05:52 am: Edit

Shit, my 1666 is going down the pan (unless anyone wants to pickle small animals in it)

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 05:33 am: Edit

Beer that isn't preserved -- i.e., draft -- has a short shelf life. There are two techniques to preserve beer (commercially). One is the 'French' method, formaldehyde. Bad. It's a frigging carcinogen. The other is pasteurization. Ironic that the Pasteur process is the antagonist to the 'French' process but such is life. Pasteurization, for anyone who doesn't know, means heating, usually at pressure, to kill bio-organisms.

The brewers in the forum can doubtless reveal all sorts of details about these processes I don't know -- yes Samantha, Santa Claus isn't omniscient. I just drink the beer, I don't make it. I make absinthe.

Americans of my generation will recall all the tales of Vietnamese beer's aftermath. That was just the Saigon license version of French '33'. Ba Mui Ba in Vietnamese means, yes -- Thirty Three.

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 02:41 am: Edit

Don

Formaldehyde in French beer? Was your tongue in or out of your cheek when you wrote that? Do any other nations commonly use it? I'm starting to go back through all my European hangovers to see if there is any connection.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 12:41 am: Edit

Dear Gman

Singha Gold is just Americanized Singha, aka Singha Lite, aka, Singha Plus
Water.

It isn't that I don't like Singha, I do. It just doesn't like me, or any
other beer drinker. The formaldehyde eventually gives you the Mother of All
Headaches. I know from bitter experience. (Same is true of French 33, or its
Vietnamese counterpart Ba Mui Ba. For same reason.

That's why Bangkok expats prefer Kloster, or Chang (Danish 'Elephant' under
license). Chang has 55% market share now, which means even the Thais are
forsaking Singha. Chang is 8%, and substantially cheaper than Singha, three
large bottles will kick anyone in the ass.

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 09:55 pm: Edit

Dear Perruche_verte

Yes, that's a pretty good guess. I just can't be more specific about the other two products till the rollout. Ted would roast my chestnuts over an open fire. :(

By Gman on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Don,
I prefer the Singha Gold. Perhaps I have a formaldehyde deficiency! Best of luck with the new venture.
gman

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 06:07 pm: Edit

Dear Mal

One is precisely replicated from E.Pernod. The other two initial offerings are variations on the theme, still consonant with the old but with subtle changes to the flavors.

No doubt Ted has plans for the future.

Sorry if my phrasing disturbed you, nothing to read between the lines.

By Brspiritus on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 05:05 pm: Edit

Talk about things falling into place... I just got a job at a kitchen gadget store (no they don't sell Absinthe spoons) as and Asst. Mgr. tomorrow I get to tell Wal-Mart to drop dead. So lemme see I'll have more money to spend in January... and the new Absinthe is coming out in Jan... and my birthday is Jan 13th... no points for guessing what I'm drinking at my birthday party :-)

By Perruche_verte on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Congratulations in advance. I doubt I'll be able to make any of these celebrations, but I applaud the launch of this venture and look forward to tasting these absinthes.

It sounds like one of them is the deliberate Pernod reconstruction we have heard so much about, and the others are new creations using the same technology and methods. Is that at all accurate? I suppose it's best not to speak before tasting, but since I doubt I'll ever join the ranks of those who have tasted antique absinthe, I don't have much of a frame of reference.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Well at least you're part Irish Don...

By Daedelus on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 11:13 am: Edit

Don,

You must be a real boor to play Trivial Pursuit with! Mon Dieu! is there anything that you don't know about. Between you and Ted and the as of late Absintheur, I have learned more history and triviality that all of the years I spent in school

"I'll take Potent Potables for four hundred, Alex"

"Ummm, what is Thai Absinthe?"

Daedelus

By Malhomme on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 11:09 am: Edit

Don,
"...to be a tribute..." Are these not precisely replicated, or am I reading too much into this turn of phrase? My understanding was that these were goning to be virtually identical to the originals (and not that I would know!) At any rate the phrase is worrisome, please clarify?
Mal

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 10:36 am: Edit

There's a French connection for Thailand too.

The Thais sank the French fleet once (late 19th Century.)

The French occupied the Thai province of Trat for a decade.

The Thais gave them what is now western Cambodia in a swap to get it back. I'm pretty sure those people wish they were still Thai, the ones who are still alive that is.

The French colony of Laos used to be Siamese (Thai) soil. I think the Lao people also wish it still was.

The Thais (Siamese) fought on the Allied side in WWI in France and Turkey, how's that for a French connection?

After WWII the French along with the Brits, wanted to realize their 400 year colonial ambitions toward Siam/Thailand, on pretext of punishing the Thais for their (bayonet point and desultory) collaboration with the Imperial Japanese Army. The Americans told the Allies to push off, and the postwar relationship between Thailand and the US was defined.

The Thais make their Singha beer in the French fashion, not pasteurized, but rather, preserved with a little formaldehyde. Fortunately they make other beers pasteurized as God intended.

There is even a pretty decent Thai vineyard in the north, producing Chateau Loei wines in the French manner.

All in all Thailand isn't such an unlikely place to produce absinthe, and it does have the advantage of legality here.

As for New Orleanians making absinthe, there is plenty of precedent, there having been three count 'em three absinthe makers in New Orleans before the ban. One label is still extant as the pastis Herbsaint. Nawlins was the epicenter of American absinthe.

I think we have a better pedigree than the Czechs.

In case anyone isn't sure by now, this whole series of posts was done with tongue firmy in cheek; our absinthe isn't French, I make no claim to the de Serrant title (I'd hate to have to pay back taxes on the chateau).

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 10:11 am: Edit

Ah yes the Vieux Carre. A bit or architecture remains, street names, Creole restaurants. But the most French stuff you'll find are ticklers and 'French letters' and maybe some feelthy postcards.

By Daedelus on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 09:47 am: Edit

Roger that, Don

I was sure there was a "French Connection", especially regarding the "French Quota"

Regards
Daedelus

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 09:22 am: Edit

Daed, Ted's already fessed up that the splash page is in error. Our absinthes are in the grand French style, but aren't French per se. They are in every sense intended to be a tribute to the best of the belle-epoque absinthes: especially E.Pernod.

Ted's an American chemist of French-German ancestry living in formerly French Louisiana, specifically very formerly French New Orleans.

I'm an American chemist of Irish-Sicilian ancestry born in New Orleans, educated there, and now I will reveal that my distant cousins on the paternal side were Wild Geese who fled to France in the Jacobite cause, after being created Earls by King James. Their title and lineage from 11th century Cambro-Norman nobility was recognized by the French crown in the 17th century and one was made Count de Serrant and took up residence in the Val Loire, with purchase of a large estate and chateau, still extant. The Counts de Serrant (Walshs) died out in the 20th century, as far as I can tell, and the Chateau de Serrant is now a national property and open for tours during three months out of the year.

No, I am not claiming direct ties to those namesakes, but we are the same clan with the same heraldry, history and grievances.

Other Walshs fled to Hungary and Austria and eleven became Field Marshals and Generals in the service of Vienna's emporers.

I only mean to say there is a 'French connection' on the part of both Ted Breaux and myself.

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 06:19 am: Edit

There will be some interesting giveaways through the website, so you'll just have to stay tuned.

We are sorry to say that there will be no sample packs, much in the same way as there are no sample packs of fine cognacs or wines. When you see the presentation of our products, you'll understand why.

By Bluedog1 on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 03:30 am: Edit

Can we sign up for the glasses and spoons even if we're tied up here during the party?

Will there be a mini-sample pack of the varities available?

bluedog1

By Tabreaux on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 08:35 pm: Edit

If you guys want to get together during a weekend in New Orleans, I might suggest either two weekends before Mardi Gras, or even the weekend following Mardi Gras. Nevertheless, if you give me at least 2-3 weeks notice, I can arrange something simple and nice.

By Don_walsh on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Nawlins is still cold in January and February.

And a week before Mardi Gras, there won't be any hotel rooms available for many miles around N.O., so that's a difficult piece of logistics.

Anyway Ted will be here in Bangkok for start of production in January and we will have some sort of celebratory event, even if we postpone the gala launch party (but not the launch iyself!).

By Greenhour on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 07:53 pm: Edit

My vote is in for a New Orleans taste-fest. I
could use a break from the cold of New York. Jan
or Feb, great idea!
Let the green times roll!

By Pikkle on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 06:20 pm: Edit

I'd like to come... I don't know about January,
maybe early February, will be in Myrtle Beach
in late January golfing.

By Melinelly on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 09:09 am: Edit

ooh week before mardi gras sounds great. should we make it official then?

also, another thought. i know there are a lot of people who read and post here in the sf bay area. perhaps we could have a little gathering for those who couldn't make it to bangkok just to meet and greet and send out vibes of good wishing to ted and don?

cheers,

em

By Don_walsh on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 09:02 am: Edit

Kallisti, I will be here chained to my stills but, I doubt that Ted and Justin can refuse you much. :)

Ted ought to be back from Bangkok by then, but I can't promise what condition he'll be in. A Robert Downey Jr liver profile? The breathalizer signature of Christian Slater? I dunno.

Actually Ted is very moderate. I'm the one with the (hic!) problem...

By Bob_chong on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 08:57 am: Edit

The week before Mardi Gras was always my favorite time of Carnival season. All the fun but none of the tourists. You could still get in easily to see the music. But that was back before the House of Blues ruined the Uptown music scene.

BC

By Admin on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 08:35 am: Edit

I'm going to be in New Orleans for the 2nd half of February ... oh DO have a tasting rollout stateside then!?!?! The week before Mardi Gras, eh? I've already got plans to be there, and couldn't make it back anytime soon for another date ...

All our little friends could convene, what a good occasion to meet! I was planning on comandeering Ted & Justin anyways for an informal gathering ... why not make it official.

By Treeman5 on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 10:22 pm: Edit

OBTW Don

My mother works for the people who own Peninsula in HK, they are also in custom carpet business.. Options Tai Ping Carpeting..

By Treeman5 on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Don

Should I bring my own stick to Bangkok, or do they give you one at the arrival gate?

Matt

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 09:44 pm: Edit

The grunting and scratching, sure. However, in Bangkok, the stick isn't for cracking women in the skull, it's for beating them away so one can get some work done once in a while. A brief respite from 'the job of sex', see what I mean?

A dark and lonely job, but someone has to do it.

Anyway if truth be told we are both obsessed chemists. I just got my training a generation before Ted, and then went off and did unrelated things for 25 years.

By Daedelus on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 09:15 pm: Edit

Don,

fair enough, but shouldn't that be a Stone-Age man?

So you are more of the grunting, and scratching, and hitting-women-over-the-head-with-a-blunt-stick-and-dragging-them-off-to-the-cave type of guy? No wonder you're in Bangkok. (I'm not really sure what I mean here but I'll let it stand!?!)

Still, I hope to be soon glad that you are highly enough evolved to supply the world with your and Ted's tasty Spirits.

daedelus

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 09:06 pm: Edit

Daed, I must demurr. I'm more of a Cro-magnon Man.

By Tabreaux on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 08:57 pm: Edit

http://www.bestabsinthe.com

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Tabreaux,

I saw you mention a website and URL at least twice in this thread, but I can't find said cyberlocation. Could you repeat it for boneheads like me who are investigatively challenged?

K.

By Daedelus on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 08:09 pm: Edit

I am glad to hear that. I was afraid there was going to be some sort of opening for an entirely new, and even more hotly debated thread than the ones of the last few days.

Daedelus

By Tabreaux on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Actually, that should read "French-style".

By Daedelus on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Don and Ted,

Seeing how this is my first post to the board, as I have merely been a lowly "lurker" for the past month or so, I ask for your forgiveness to my presumption.

"Soon Offering Premium French Absinthe and All Her Accoutrements"

French Absinthe?

Produced in Bangkok, by an American Rennaisance Man, from a recipe belaboured over by an obsessed Chemist?

French?

Did I miss something?

Daedelus

p.s. hopefully the above descriptions do not rub anybody the wrong way. I use them with the utmost respect....

By Marc on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Don and Ted,

I will be in the middle of building a nightclub
in Las Vegas at the end of January. And I don't fly. But, thanks for the invite. I wish I could be there.

By Tabreaux on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 04:52 pm: Edit

No, Jade Liqueurs is the manufacturing entity. Jade Liqueurs has no direct involvement with the public. All inquiries, orders, and other PR will be handled from the website URL I quoted.

By Melinelly on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 04:43 pm: Edit

sounds great Don, dunno if me wife and i can make it out to bangkok tho... i'll look into it anyway =P

new orleans we can probably do tho. will be lookin for updates on that =)

cheers,

em

By Black_rabbit on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 04:22 pm: Edit

I thought you were calling it 'Jade Liquers.' Change your minds at the last minute?

By Tabreaux on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 04:11 pm: Edit

The website is: www.bestabsinthe.com
Only the splash page is visible. The website will be made visible when the products are released.

As for party locations, believe me, Bangkok is one hell of a place for a party. Don't dispair, we'll be throwing a party in New Orleans before long. We have another location in mind as well, but you'll just have to wait and see.

By Grimbergen on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 04:04 pm: Edit

Don & Ted,

"Any product inquiries and questions should be addressed through the channels provided on the website."

Have I missed something? What website?

On a different note...Bangkok? what a silly place to throw a party. As a future customer I petition that we move the party to New Orleans in early January! You do want me to be able to come. Don't you?
*puppy dog eyes*

Grim

By Tabreaux on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 03:14 pm: Edit

You'll just have to wait and see. Any product inquiries and questions should be addressed through the channels provided on the website. Until then, some things must remain a mystery.

By Timk on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 02:00 pm: Edit

So what are your three initial absinthe labels then?

By Corsetgirl on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 10:46 am: Edit

So you're launching the second half of jan 2001? Will you accept pre-orders? If not when do you anticipate taking orders?

*giggles*

Rose

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 10:17 am: Edit

Oh well, fair enough, look forward to sampling your wares in the future

Hobgoblin

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 07:58 am: Edit

Well, because everyone would flay us alive if we tried to delay till August, that's why...

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 07:14 am: Edit

Don,

Would liked to have been able to come but as it's during term time its not possible. Why can't you launch during August ;-)

Hobgoblin

By Don_walsh on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 06:12 am: Edit

As we will be launching our three initial Absinthe labels in the second half of January, someone on this forum suggested a tasting party.

I haven't gotten Ted's thoughts about this as yet, but I like the notion. I am thinking Oriental Hotel (Bangkok), one of their suites ought to do, or a meeting room. Anyone who knows the Oriental knows what a fabulous old lady shje is, built by the same brothers who did the Peninsula in HK, the Raffles in S'pore, and the E&O in Kuala Lumpur -- the Strand in Rangoon as well maybe? Anyway the Oriental in Bangkok was home to the literati of the 19th and 20th Centuries: Conrad, Maughm, Faulkner, etc. It fell into decay but was bought and renovated by Jim Thompson, the American spook who made millions in the Thai silk business befroe mysteriously disappearing in '67.

I'd like to know who wants to come drink absinthes with us in January? Ted will be here. I will arrange for gifts for all guests. No admission charge. Open bar for Jade Liqueurs absinthes. Door prizes of JL absinthes, spoons or glasses, and a drawing for the grand prize of the evening: a JL solid 22K gold absinthe spoon. Not plated; solid 22K+ Thai gold. At least two troy oz. of gold. Ted and I have commissioned identical hand crafted gold spoons of the same pattern.

We will need to know who's coming by December 31. Airline seats may be hard to get in January due to Chinese New Year so pls make your plans early. We can help with hotel recommendations. Bangkok is one of the world's best travel bargains, with return air fares from the States in the $800-$1000 class, less from Europe, and hotel room in the $25 to $50 range for quite decent lodgings.

We will publish precise dates and venue as soon as I can hear from Ted and confirm with the hotel.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation